The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow. That's all.

* Breakfast. Whole-wheat pancakes or waffles, one piece of fruit, 1 cup of low-fat milk.
* Lunch. Chicken kabob, 1/2 cup of steamed broccoli, 1/2 cup of cooked rice, 1/2 cup of juice.
* Dinner. Pasta primavera prepared with broccoli, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash and Parmesan cheese, 1 cup of low-fat milk.
* Snacks. Six homemade crispy corn tortilla chips, 1/2 cup fresh vegetables with a seasoned garlic sauce.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Holy macaroni! My BG would be orbiting in outer space on that day's diet! Whole wheat, rice, pasta, corn chips, milk . . . :eek: The ONLY things there I can eat are the chicken from the kabobs & the various veggies - mebbe if that half cup of juice is V/8 or tomato juice, I could get by drinking that. What are they THINKING?!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know! There is not a thing to eat at breakfast. Accepting a liver dump would be a far better deal. And being a newbie I don't even know what I'm talking about vs the Mayo Clinic. Maybe a freelancer wrote it w/out medical intervention. Or the site was hijacked.

And why would they suggest fruit juice and milk of all things? Putting cow's milk on a menu for adults 2x/day is a little odd for any sort of diet.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yeouch... that would have my breakfast number over 200 for sure. Even ON medication, I can't handle carbs in the morning - and I was told never any milk or fruit before lunch. I was given 15g carbs for breakfast, but it makes me a tiny bit high, so I leave it out. Even with just protein my number is in the low hundreds.

However, I do eat about 45g carbs for lunch and dinner, and 30g carbs for each snack. But I don't drink juice b/c I'd much rather eat the fruit, much healthier. I eat yogurt instead of drinking milk.

So, lunch and dinner are kind of close to what I eat.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Some of these medical or advocacy sites are appalling.

I was given this as a handout from the Canadian Diabetes Association Website, in a document called "Just the Basics..."

• Sample meal plan
    FOR BIGGER APPETITES

Breakfast:
    Cold cereal (½ cup, 125 mL)
    Whole grain toast (2 slices)
    1 orange
    Low-fat milk (1 cup, 250 mL)
    Low-fat cheese (2 oz, 60 g)
    Tea or coffee

Lunch:
    Soup (1 cup, 250 mL)
    Sandwich
    - 2 slices whole grain bread or 6" pita
    - lean meat, chicken or fish (3 oz, 90 g)
    - tomato slices
    - non-hydrogenated margarine (1 tsp, 5 mL)
    Carrot sticks
    Grapes
    Low-fat plain yogurt (¾ cup, 175 mL)
    Tea or coffee

Afternoon Snack:
    1 medium apple or small banana

Dinner:
    1 large potato or cooked noodles (1 ½ cup, 375 mL)
    Vegetables
    Green salad with low-fat salad dressing
    Lean meat, chicken or fish (4 oz, 120 g)
    1 medium pear
    Tea or coffee

Evening Snack:
    Peanut butter (4 tbsp, 60 mL)
    Whole grain crackers (4)

If I ate that, I'd be on insulin instead of Metformin.

Reactions: Msfranxie

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I never understood why "they" give a diet for a hart patient and call it a "diabetic diet"

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
They apparently can't get it through their collective heads that heart disease isn't caused by dietary fats, but diabetes IS all about carbs! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
633 Posts
Don't forget that diabetic is all inclusive and I really don't see anything wrong with the dieat but I would not eat all the snacks or all that fruit' some but not all.

·
Registered
718 Posts
My diet is actually pretty similar in some ways

Breakfast: 15g carbs, 2 protein (14g) (I don't eat the carbs anymore though b/c my number is too high)

Snack: 30g carb, 1 protein

Lunch: 30g carb, 3 protein, 2 veg, 1 fruit, 1 milk (I leave off the fruit)

Snack: 15g carb, 1 fruit, 1 protein

Dinner: 30g carb, 4 protein, 2 veg, 1 fruit, 1 milk (I leave off the milk, and sometimes the fruit too)

Snack: 30g carb (any combo of grain/milk/fruit), 1 protein

I feel it's a pretty well balanced diet, but a little carb heavy. Depending on the medication they put me on after I give birth, I will adjust my carbs. But for now I need almost all of them or else I crash.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Oh buROther!!!! I ran that breakfast through Calorie King. It has about 55 net grams of carb. For that meal I'd be using 5.5 units of insulin - more than I use currently for breakfast and lunch combined!

And that whole apple as a snack? Yesterday I needed something to increase my blood sugar just a tad and decided a little bit of fruit would do the trick. A 16 gram slice of apple has about 2 grams of net carb; an hour after that tiny slice my BG was up to 95. Just imagine what a whole piece of fruit would have done:eek:.

We really do have to be our own advocates. And be best friends with our meters!

Jen

·
Registered
213 Posts
Name a food, any food, and someone will recommend that diabetics eat liberal portions of it. Someone else will tell us NEVER eat it.

Our meters are our friends. Even more important is our ability to judge, reason, make decisions.

I've said this before....... what is important to me about this forum is sharing our actual experiences, whether we agree or strongly disagree.
:hungry:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Just remember, Abbie, the meals that have been quoted here are the foods most of us should NOT eat - they're too high in carbs. :eek:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Wow!
I sure hope I don't have to go into the hospital anytime soon. On those diets I would either starve or spike record high BG !!!
Those are more carbs than I was eating before Dx !!

Gretchen

·
Registered
28 Posts
Shanny I was confused as one day it was 5.2, next day went 14.9....
The egg white noodles and tuna ive been eating as part of plan....
Anyhow lesson learned for sure.
Ty for imput:):)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Abbie pasta is a huge no no for diabetics. The ada diets are not structured towards diabetics, weird I know but way too many carbs. Pasta, bread, cereal, basically all things carbs are not good for us. My first few months I used the same diet and showed high numbers. Once I dropped all those yhings my blood weny back to normal range as did my cholesterol.

Reactions: foxl and Shanny

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm not familiar with egg white noodles, but I can assure you if they're made with flour like most noodles, they're going to raise your blood sugar. The best noodles for us diabetics are the shirataki noodles.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
OK, so the Mayo Clinic may be a venerated institution in some other ways, but we should take note here that it has ZERO credibility when it comes to diabetes. Maybe this should be posted every time a poster cites something coming from Mayo as "evidence" of anything.

Snake oil and junk science.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts