·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SAUSAGE AND KRAUT

sausage links, fully cooked
1 can sauerkraut
1 can tomato sauce

Brown the sausage, add the kraut and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat & simmer until sausage is thoroughly cooked. Drain to get rid of most of the tomato sauce (carbs).

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Whoa baby . . . now you've hit me where I live! heheh! :D :D :D What kind of sausage are you using . . . bratwurst? Kielbasa? Wee breakfast links? :confused:

If you ever get tired of the tomato sauce, try a can of French onion condensed soup . . . I discovered it for this recipe.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used Kielbasa, but any kind will do, maybe not breakfast sausage, I guess. The tomato sauce cuts the sour of the kraut juice. That's the way Mom and Grandma always made it, my sister said that's how they do it in Germany.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I love sauerkraut, but my husband hates it and won't let me cook it if he is around. Sometimes I make it for lunch.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Sauerkraut is kinda like gravy around here - there's never enough, so I usually double the amount for any given recipe. I finally gave up trying to make my own, but we've found a great choice in Silver Floss Bavarian style - it has caraway added.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
My parents are Eastern European so I grew up on a lot of Hungarian fare. Mom made a mean Szekely Gulyas, which is made with pork, sauerkraut, onion, paprika and sour cream at the end. I also make it substituting kielbasa - pretty much what you guys are talking about except using lots of paprika and then sour cream.

It's one of the few things that has survived my shift to low carb without alteration!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts