The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jan cooked this casserole over the weekend for supper. It was absolutely delicious and I have enjoyed it every morning since. There is still enough left for tomorrow morning. She found the basic recipe in a casserole cookbook and we tweaked it to the diet. I just cut a good-sized wage and pop in the microwave for a minute and a half. It comes out ready to eat, hot and wonderful. Two hours after eating my blood sugar is perfectly normal. It's a great meal for breakfast, dinner or supper.

Sausage, Egg and Cheese Casserole

Ingredients

1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
8 eggs
1 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more, less or none to taste) :p
1 cup of chopped green onions
1 cup of chopped green peppers
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

Directions

In a skillet, brown and crumble sausage, onions, green peppers ; drain and set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs; add milk, salt, and cayenne pepper. Stir in cheese, onions, green peppers and sausage. Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/...utf-8BSU1HMDAxNTYtMjAxMTAzMjAtMjAzNS5qcGc.jpg

bugg:) enjoys a hot breakfast

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Jan cooked this casserole over the weekend for supper. It was absolutely delicious and I have enjoyed it every morning since. There is still enough left for tomorrow morning. She found the basic recipe in a casserole cookbook and we tweaked it to the diet. I just cut a good-sized wage and pop in the microwave for a minute and a half. It comes out ready to eat, hot and wonderful. Two hours after eating my blood sugar is perfectly normal. It's a great meal for breakfast, dinner or supper.

Sausage, Egg and Cheese Casserole

Ingredients

1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
8 eggs
1 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more, less or none to taste) :p
1 cup of chopped green onions
1 cup of chopped green peppers
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

Directions

In a skillet, brown and crumble sausage, onions, green peppers ; drain and set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs; add milk, salt, and cayenne pepper. Stir in cheese, onions, green peppers and sausage. Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 35 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/...utf-8BSU1HMDAxNTYtMjAxMTAzMjAtMjAzNS5qcGc.jpg

bugg:) enjoys a hot breakfast
I was looking at the recipe section the other evening and found this one. I made it this evening and it is wonderful. I love it and am looking forward to trying it for my family to enjoy during the holidays.

Reactions: Bugg

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Thanks for bumping, Strawberry - can never have too many ways to eggs sausage and cheese. I particularly like things like this that I can freeze squares of for an easy breakfast.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I don't buy milk tho :(
I actually used cream when I made it as I didn't have any milk in the house either. My OH and I usually drink almond or coconut milk, unflavored.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
This was great Bugg, though I gotta say, we just don't have the great bulk pork sausage y'all do in the South.

It would be unimaginable here to walk into a supermarket and get one of those great blocks of sausage that come in waxed wrapping (not even fully attached, just folded over!) with the ingredients being pork and ... er ... salt.

I'll be in the South just in time for Christmas and there for 5 months, and see lots of breakfasts with this on my plate while there.

Reactions: MaJoie and Bugg

·
Registered
916 Posts
This was great Bugg, though I gotta say, we just don't have the great bulk pork sausage y'all do in the South.

It would be unimaginable here to walk into a supermarket and get one of those great blocks of sausage that come in waxed wrapping (not even fully attached, just folded over!) with the ingredients being pork and ... er ... salt.

I'll be in the South just in time for Christmas and there for 5 months, and see lots of breakfasts with this on my plate while there.

1/2 lb of sausage is not that much. I buy it when 2 for? or bogo, put it in the freezer.
I do make my own too. when I get the urge.

to bad you can't have 'grits' while your here. I miss it sooooooooo much.:eek:hwell:

I am goin to make this casserole soon very soon.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I have some precooked Jimmy Dean sausage in the freezer and think I'll use it this way very soon and then have it in the freezer too. About how many servings do you think it makes?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have some precooked Jimmy Dean sausage in the freezer and think I'll use it this way very soon and then have it in the freezer too. About how many servings do you think it makes?
well I made it & it is very good. I didn't have 8 eggs so I used 6 lol I also didn't have a 11x7 pan, so I used a 9x9. came out great.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
to bad you can't have 'grits' while your here. I miss it sooooooooo much.:eek:hwell:
Fortunately I was never a grits person cuz I've got enough other stuff to miss. Btw - I went to high school in Charleston - Ashley Hall in the 60's back when it had boarders. Am driving East and a Charleston friend is joining me in New Orleans then we'll continue on back to Charleston where I'll see some friends before heading up to NC. I love Charleston!

<back on topic>

I also used a 9x9 pan - more cheese and sausage, regular onion cuz cheaper than a whole cup of green onions and I'm in a thrifty mood, and red pepper vs green. I don't think quantities matter much on something like this. Pat - it's filling. Think I cut into 9 pieces, just had one for breakfast.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Moon, you used a brownie pan it seems! :)

I only asked the number of servings because I thought it would be too many for me, maybe. Thanks for the info!

I'm glad I never liked grits, now!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I don't know why, but both times I made this breakfast casserole, I cut it into 8 pieces. They were generous servings. If you wanted to make the 9" pan, would it work if you just 'halved' the ingredients? I found that it keeps very well in the refrigerator and is yummy re-heated in the microwave.

The only problem I've had with it is: not only do I have to bolus for the carbs, but also for the protein and the fat. With homemade food trying to determine the nutritional content is challenging. My stomach loved the casserole but my BG did not. Not going to give up though - somehow I will get it right......I hope :)

·
Registered
916 Posts
I got 4 equal pieces. I ate one for breakfast (my morning # was 102) then was lazy & didn't feel like fixing something for lunch so I ate another piece. that was around 2pm.

I felt weak, hot, & weird at 4:30. I was 72! :eek:

dinner will be later. leftover country ribs I made last night.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't know why, but both times I made this breakfast casserole, I cut it into 8 pieces. They were generous servings. If you wanted to make the 9" pan, would it work if you just 'halved' the ingredients? I found that it keeps very well in the refrigerator and is yummy re-heated in the microwave.

The only problem I've had with it is: not only do I have to bolus for the carbs, but also for the protein and the fat. With homemade food trying to determine the nutritional content is challenging. My stomach loved the casserole but my BG did not. Not going to give up though - somehow I will get it right......I hope :)
Strawberry... It may be the onions... Try cutting back on them a little.

bugg:plife w/out onions would not be as pungent... hea!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Strawberry... It may be the onions... Try cutting back on them a little.

bugg:plife w/out onions would not be as pungent... hea!
What...cutting back on onions??? :(
It is the carb count plus the fat and protein content that I need to figure out as a type 1 PWD. Sometimes fat and protein make my blood glucose spike several hours later...which is a pita.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

Try Recipe Calculator - I use it sometimes to work out Nutritional Data.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.