The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, had an appointment and physical today with a new doc since moving out of state. I don't know my A1c yet but the doc was not happy with my logbook so he has already decided to change/add meds. Now I am anxious about my A1c. He would have changed my meds today if I hadn't told him that I have had past liver problems and wants to see how my liver functions come back. He said his first choice is going to add actos to my metformin but said actos aggravates the liver?? Otherwise he wants to take me off metformin and put me on januvia?? Not sure if I understand all this.

I told him about my doc starting my treatment with metformin and amaryl (amaryl which makes the pancreas produce more insulin). then told him my a1c went from 13.9% down to 7.1% in 3 months and I had such a time with lows that she took me off the amaryl. He did not agree with her decision with amaryl to begin with, said drugs like amaryl would just wear out my pancreas. But, I thought januvia was one pill with metformin plus another drug that makes your pancreas put out more insulin like amaryl. And about the liver thing, I remember now the januvia commercial on tv that has the same warning at the end just like most other drug commercials, "januvia is not for everyone. it is not for those with liver disease and monitoring of your liver may be required during treatment." I wasnt tinking at the time but I am going to ask about this next week.

I am going to have to find another doc anyway. After moving out of state to the "big city" I was just laid off and my truck was stolen night before last from this gated apt complex and I really dont see any reason to stay! So sweet home alabama here I come, :D just dont know if I want to use the same doc there.

The highlight of todays appointment was normal blood pressure (which was surprising) and ekg LOL. Thanks for letting me rant a little.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Normal blood pressure right after your truck was stolen is quite an accomplishment, Jason! Mine woulda been orbiting the moon! Very sorry for this & hope the authorities are investigating it & can recover your property. And very VERY sorry to hear of the layoff. Ever get the feeling it's sometimes one step up & two steps back?! Dang! :(

The new doc sounds like he at least listens . . . but moving back to 'Bama will give you the perfect opportunity to find a new one there.

Take care & hang in there!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Yes..hang in there! You have had a tough time...sorry :( Well, at least he waiting to change your meds until he sees your lab work. That will give you time to do some research about the meds he wants to give you. I know my endo would not give me Actos when I asked for it because my liver enzymes were high at the time. Instead he took me off of my glyburide and januvia and started me on insulin. I still take the metformin though. You are probably thinking of Janumet which is a combo drug of januvia and metformin.

Let us know how it goes....big hugs from Texas for ya!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Shanny! I can't believe my blood pressure was normal either not to mention I had 0 sleep last night when I realized the tag receipt and insurance card that had my address with apt number on it! It was an older truck but in great condition so I know it was prob stolen for parts. I can't believe a detective called early this morning to see if it showed back up!!

Also, on a sorta funny note, I did learn something new from this new doc today. He examined my feet and said it was good that I have hair on my toes because it meant I had good blood flow to my feet! He wouldn't have checked my feet if I hadn't of asked him about my calves. Past couple of yrs, one is bigger than the other and seems to get bigger. He felt really deep and it hurt. Said I may have a fatty tumor in the muscle.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes..hang in there! You have had a tough time...sorry :( Well, at least he waiting to change your meds until he sees your lab work. That will give you time to do some research about the meds he wants to give you. I know my endo would not give me Actos when I asked for it because my liver enzymes were high at the time. Instead he took me off of my glyburide and januvia and started me on insulin. I still take the metformin though. You are probably thinking of Janumet which is a combo drug of januvia and metformin.

Let us know how it goes....big hugs from Texas for ya!
Thanks for the hugs Pam! You are probably right, he may have said janumet. I was a little nervous today seeing a new doc plus he had a foreign accent and I had a little trouble understanding some of what he was saying. My next appointment is next thurs but labs should be in by mon and I signed a release so they fax to me. They are actually open part of sat so I may get them sooner.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Gosh Jason, you made me tired just listening to all that you have been through! Going to a new doctor is enough to get your blood pressure up. I have seen my fair share of doctors who don't speak English very well and it can be kind of a bother. Going back home sounds like a good thing. I hope you are able to get your medications worked out. I take Actos and my doctor never mentioned anything about liver problems. I get blood tests done every 3 months so my doctor can check my liver enzymes because I take Zocor for my cholesterol. So far so good with my liver panel.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The results are in and the doc didn't add any more medication afterall cause my A1C was 6.2! Soo relieved after him saying the numbers in my log book were too high. I am thinking it's the Accu-Chek Aviva I was using. I started using OneTouch but kinda used both for a while to compare and the Aviva was consistently 9-15 pts higher and it passed the control test.

Now my fasting bs was 158 but I prob had a liver dump because I was fasting and my appt wasn't until 11am.

The biggest surprise was my cholesterol which was 145, the bad (LDL) was 88 and the good (HDL) was 38, which is low though and triglycerides were 97, so this is good compared to a yr and a half ago when my cholesterol was 239, the good was 30 and the bad couldn't even be calculated because my triglycerides were 598!

I am kinda concered about the accuracy just a little cause this is such a vast improvement. The lab the doc used was Spectrum Laboratory Network.

So I am pretty happy :D This A1C sure beats the 13.9 I had a yr and a half ago! I will have my A1C checked again in 3 months.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
The results are in and the doc didn't add any more medication afterall cause my A1C was 6.2! Soo relieved after him saying the numbers in my log book were too high. I am thinking it's the Accu-Chek Aviva I was using. I started using OneTouch but kinda used both for a while to compare and the Aviva was consistently 9-15 pts higher and it passed the control test.

Now my fasting bs was 158 but I prob had a liver dump because I was fasting and my appt wasn't until 11am.

The biggest surprise was my cholesterol which was 145, the bad (LDL) was 88 and the good (HDL) was 38, which is low though and triglycerides were 97, so this is good compared to a yr and a half ago when my cholesterol was 239, the good was 30 and the bad couldn't even be calculated because my triglycerides were 598!

I am kinda concered about the accuracy just a little cause this is such a vast improvement. The lab the doc used was Spectrum Laboratory Network.

So I am pretty happy :D This A1C sure beats the 13.9 I had a yr and a half ago! I will have my A1C checked again in 3 months.
Whoohoo! Great job you have done! :rockon: :hug: :hug:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Good job, everthing looks good! :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks everybody!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts