The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
My name is Bruno & i live in Miami, Fl. USA
I found out I had Diabetes about 10 years ago but I never took it seriously until I lost my right foot. I guess you could say I scared out of my mind now. my A1c was over 17.4 & the Dr. told me he did not even think it could go that high. I've been between 280 & 550 on my BS but always felt fine. I thought it was a joke! :(
I'm scared & have no idea what I'm doing!
All I know is to take 40 of the Levimier before bed then Novolog befor each meal. I start off with 5 then use a sliding scale depending how high my BS is.. Noone even showed me what to look for when buying food? So i try to buy things with the lowest carbs and look for things high in protean. this is not working. I'm a bit on the slow side & don't truly understand things like other people do.
Well I just wanted to say hello & I'm glad I found this form! I look foward to reading & learing a lot from here..
Thanks all...
Blessings, Bruno

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Welcome to DD.

Its amazing how little the Dr tell us, I was given an insulin pen and told to take 25 IU and sent home. That was 10 years ago.

I see you get the same treatment 10 years later.

You need to educate your self about how diabetes treatment works for you.

Each person is different, each treatment is different.

You need to test your blood sugar, test before a meal, 1 hour after a meal, 2 hours after. in time you will see a pattern develop between what you eat and your BGL (Blood Glucose Levels).

I'll give you the skinny on BGL

So…You need to control your BGL.

It can be done
your tools

Pills and or insulin
exercise
Food

Read the labels on food packages
get to know the Glycemic index of foods.
http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

Food
All foods with carbohydrates (carbs) Raises BGL
especially bad carbs are
almost anything white. White bread, potato, rice, sugar (eating a potato is worse than eating sugar as far as BGL goes.)

Protein, fiber and fat
slows down the rise of BGL.

meds (pills and insulin)
lower BSL

exercise
lowers BSL

Basically those are the tools you have, use them well and you will have a long Happy life.

O ya… To learn HOW THIS ALL AFFECTS YOU… Test, test, test… before you eat, test 1 hour after you eat , test 2 hours after you eat test before exercise test after exercise. Everybody is affected differently by carbs and by different foods. So you need to test to find out how You react to different foods

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Bruno - thank you for joining us. I'm sorry for what you've been through. Education has been one thing seriously lacking from campaigns against diabetes. People DO feel fine, and it's easy to believe that nothing is wrong. Diabetes is such an insidious disorder.

The points made by diabetes86 cover the basic game plan. If you have to slash carbs from your diet, there are many terrific tricks and substitutions that make low-carb eating just as satisfying. Prowl around our boards & read a few of the recipes.

You'll find we have here many veterans of the diabetes wars, and a goldmine of experience, knowledge and wisdom. I hope you'll come around often and share in our conversations. For someone who described himself as "on the slow side", you write a very well-phrased and coherent message. You don't sound at all slow to me! I'm happy you're here and I hope many new friendships are made.

take care,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the great info! I hope I can do this. I must do this.. I cant loose any more body parts. thank you both for replying. Truely!!
Blessings,
Bruno

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
We look forward to seeing you around here, Bruno . . . we'll give you all the support we can. Yes, you can do this! We have faith in you!

Tell me, do you like cheese? Do you do any of your own cooking? Try these: http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/2362-cheese-crisps.html#post10914 I've been using them like crackers and today am using them to make sandwiches with a slice of roast chicken. Deeeeelicious, and literally NO CARBS! :D

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello all,
My name is Bruno & i live in Miami, Fl. USA
I found out I had Diabetes about 10 years ago but I never took it seriously until I lost my right foot. I guess you could say I scared out of my mind now. my A1c was over 17.4 & the Dr. told me he did not even think it could go that high. I've been between 280 & 550 on my BS but always felt fine. I thought it was a joke! :(
I'm scared & have no idea what I'm doing!
All I know is to take 40 of the Levimier before bed then Novolog befor each meal. I start off with 5 then use a sliding scale depending how high my BS is.. Noone even showed me what to look for when buying food? So i try to buy things with the lowest carbs and look for things high in protean. this is not working. I'm a bit on the slow side & don't truly understand things like other people do.
Well I just wanted to say hello & I'm glad I found this form! I look foward to reading & learing a lot from here..
Thanks all...
Blessings, Bruno
Welcome Bruno! You have come to the right place for some real hands on experience. I used to be on a sliding scale to base my Novolog use and in my opinion, the sliding scale is not very accurate. I threw my sliding scale out the window and started counting carbs. My blood sugar is much better now. Eating low carbs is best for diabetics. Watch the protein, if it is meat, be careful since there is fat in almost all red meat and also in cheese. Come and visit often!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello again :)
I do like cheese but I have bad teeth so I try to keep crunchy things out.
I'm not a big cook, its only me so I am used to eating things I can make fast or things that are already made. I eat a lot of sandwiches & finger foods. I'm having trouble finding bread that I can eat without worrie of killing myself. Many days I skip eating in the AM & lunch. I'll grab 2 Glucerna Shakes, Take my Novolog and I can keep my BGL stedy. But then night comes and I'll stuff my face with fish & spinage.
I have a question? I am supposed to take my novolog 3x a day before meals. Is it ok to take it like 5x a day when I see my BGL high?
Blessings,
Bruno

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
You can but you have to take the Nova-log according to
your XXX ratio (cant remember the name) your VA MD will help you figure out this ratio.

You want to make sure your meal time nova-log all used up before you try to correct a high BGL or this shot can overlap the meal shot and you will go low.

If I am high 4 hours after I eat then I take nova-log. Each person is different on the ratio I am 1:5 for every 5 points my BGL over 110 I take 1 unit of Nova-log to bring my BGL down.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello again :)
I do like cheese but I have bad teeth so I try to keep crunchy things out.
I'm not a big cook, its only me so I am used to eating things I can make fast or things that are already made. I eat a lot of sandwiches & finger foods. I'm having trouble finding bread that I can eat without worrie of killing myself. Many days I skip eating in the AM & lunch. I'll grab 2 Glucerna Shakes, Take my Novolog and I can keep my BGL stedy. But then night comes and I'll stuff my face with fish & spinage.
I have a question? I am supposed to take my novolog 3x a day before meals. Is it ok to take it like 5x a day when I see my BGL high?
Blessings,
Bruno

Bruno, do you take a set amount of Novolog? Novolog can work both ways. In my opinion, it is best to use Novolog at mealtimes to keep your blood sugar from going too high. Then after your mealtime Novolog wears off (at least 4 hours) you can correct a high reading. As already mentioned, you need to know what your insulin sensitivity factor is and use 1 unit of Novolog to bring down your blood sugar x amount of points. A rule of thumb to figure your insulin sensitivity is the 1800 rule. You need to figure out what your total daily dose of insulin is say 45 units, use 1800 and divide by 45 which = 40, this would mean that 1 unit of Novolog would drop your blood sugar by 40 points. You need to test 3.5 to 4 hours later to see if the number of units you took of Novolog drops your blood sugar by 40 points per unit. If not then you will need to adjust the amount of Novolog that you are taking. With a little of trial and error, you will find your insulin sensitivity factor.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Skipping meals may not be helping your BGL.
Without food your body thinks its starving and the liver will do a "glucagon dump" raising BGL.
so eat low carbohydrate foods for your meals and snacks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK Great info! Last night I was stupid and had a great meal but then around 11pm I got a craving and ate a BUNCH of cookies & milk. Needless to say I woke up and found my BGL to bee 300!! I looked at the sheet for the scale and it said to take 5 (base) + 7 for a total of 12 units of Novolog. That just seems like a lot to me. But I'm testing every hour to see where it drops me. Ill let you know. Thanks so much for your help.!
Blessings,
Bruno

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
A better plan would have been to count the carbs (Milk has a lot) and take novalog. That would prevent the BGL spike.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You & I both need to work on these nighttime cravings, don't we, Bruno? No more cookies or cornflakes for us! :eek: And yes, watch out for milk - it's full of lactose, which is just one more sugar. Since my diagnosis I have stopped using milk altogether. I dilute heavy cream with water and use that for soups, gravies, cocoa, etc. (it's also what I used on my cornflakes the other night, but I won't be doing THAT again any time soon!)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all,
Does anyone know of an OK bread to eat?? Or maybe a wrap? I love to eat sandwiches but the bread I eat now Freaks my BGL out. Can any1 please tell me what kind to buy?
Thanks all,
Bruno

1 - 14 of 14 Posts