The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet another recipe from the same gluten intolerant friend. I tried it and my blood sugar liked it too! :D

From 'The Gluten Free Almond Flour Cookbook' ...

It says 'scones' but I find they have the texture of a coconut cookie more than anything else. Doesn't matter! I like them. Again, this is a week-end treat for me.

Agave nectar is quite pricey. Be warned! My friend makes it with either honey or maple syrup. I want to try it with Stevia but haven't just yet.

They freeze well!

ALMOND FLOUR 'SCONES'

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups blanched almond flour (needs to be blanched almond flour or it won't work)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup of grapeseed oil
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 large eggs

You can add 1 cup of what you want here : dark chocolate choc chips, fruits, whatever! I make half plain (for me) and half with chocolate chips for my family. We had company and they just loved those and wanted the recipe!

Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.

In large bowl, combine the almond flour, salt, and baking soda.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the grapeseed oil, agave nectar, and eggs. Stir the wet ingredients into the almond flour mixture until thoroughly combined, then fold in the chocolate (or fruits! Or you can make them plain too).

Drop the batter in scant 1/4 cups 2 inches apart (I make mine smaller!) onto the prepared baking sheets.

Bake for 12 to 17 minutes (depends on the size and your oven, please check!), until gold brown or a toothpick inserted into the center of a scone comes out clean.

Let the scones cool for 30 minutes on the baking sheets, then serve.

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have a pre dx recipe for scones that I really enjoyed and had nearly every Sunday morning for breakfast. They were cheese and bacon scones with mixed hers and a little pepper and mustard. Covered in butter melting on them was heaven.
I need to find some way of doing this and replacing the flour. Any ideas?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
In my opinion, agave nectar is a poor choice for us. I would swap it out for Walden Farms maple syrup.

And Rodney? It may be possible to tweak THIS recipe - leaving out the sweetener altogether and adding in shredded cheese & bacon bits. Brush them with melted garlic butter when they're right out of the oven . . . y'think?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts