The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG! I should wait until I've actually finished this cake - and eaten it - before posting, but ... OMG! I'm having a bunch of people for dinner tomorrow night and am determined to (try to) wow them with secret food, low-carb that they never saw coming.

I bookmarked this recipe quite a while ago, and since it says it should sit for 8 hours I figured I'd bake it tonight. And, if it fails, I could default to berries and cream or something equally desperate.

Healthy Indulgences: Healthy Chocolate Cake with a Secret

This is unbelievable. I used a can of white beans which is all I had, several drops of liquid Splenda in place of the Stevia, otherwise as written. It's in the oven now, which took every ounce of self-control not to sit on the floor with the mixing bowl and eat it with a ladle.

Now, I can be impetuous which is why I'm telling you about it before it has finished baked. Besides - if my face falls into it and I die from happy, never making it back here, you will at least be able to say "That Moon - bless her everlovin' (tm Shanny) heart. She didn't die in vain, she left us the coordinates to the secret cake."

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Moon - you are a trip! :D:D:D I'm already laughing at your antics & then I go read the recipe & she's another goofball - now I'm about to burst trying to not make any noise because my everlovin™ & the furballs are all sound asleep right here in the room.

I GOTTA make this cake! I even have the black beans cuz they're all I ever get anymore - I can tolerate small amounts of them. I think I'll love you forever for posting this recipe . . . those pictures are devastating!

·
Registered
741 Posts
there are a few around...I think the first one was made with kidney beans....I make cakes from butter beans/lima beans all the time in place of flour...works like a dream

Reactions: Rosa and Shanny

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This turned out better than awesome! I couldn't resist a sliver last night and even then, no bean taste! This morning another sliver - rich, chocolate, no aftertaste at all - heaven!

The cake is so moist and rich that I'm not going to make the icing. Will serve it with fresh raspberries and whipped cream.

I thought the cake had collapsed because no way could I get those pictured layers out of it. Turns out she cut the cake in half and stacked it - whew!

This is a cake I will not allow me to make unless I have guests - it has way too much over-eating potential.

Shanny - you'd owe me your next-born if age wasn't standing in the way of that. Have you baked it yet? :)

d33na - I know you are an awesome baker, and if I lived closer I'd camp regularly on your doorstep like a stray dog hoping for crumbs.

Reactions: d33na

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I was set to put this cake in the oven in the middle of the night last night, until my brain finally kicked into gear . . . I can't start up a glorious project like this when we're leaving in like three/four days! For sure I'd think we'd better eat it up before we leave & you said it best: way too much over-eating potential. I'm thinking I might try it when we get to the kids' places - if our daughters-in-law would let me mess up their kitchens!

Good to hear it can go without icing - the whipped cream & raspberries is a stellar idea!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Can't believe you posted this recipe, Moon! I was also at the exact same blogsite yesterday looking at this exact cake! I was going to post it then but it slipped my mind. If I can find all the ingredients here, I will be making this very soon!

·
Registered
741 Posts
soooooooo glad it worked...the one I saw had 1/2 an avocado in it (I might be the only one on the planet that doesn't like the stuff) it's awesome to have something that doesnt spike and is yum....cream and raspberries.....heaven!

·
Registered
741 Posts
i hate spinach tooooooooooo and peas and and and cooked carrots and um blue cheese and lol gawd we're a fussy lot

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Talk about dumb . . . how many years have I said I've been cookin'? Well, I baked this cake this morning, and it turned out beautiful! Was cooling on a rack on the kitchen counter, and for some goofy reason I decided it would like nicer if I turned it over. Instead of getting another rack to sandwich it before turning, I picked it up with both hands, and it fell totally apart in about six big pieces. Of course once it was broken, it's much easier to have a mouthful as we walk past . . . and it's delicious! But how dumb does one have to be to handle a fresh cake?! Geez . . . :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
I used to make gluten-free bean cake (way too many carbs with all the added starches). It was very good.

I must give this low-carb one a try. When we are having company! (first, way too many eggs for me to have much, and, left alone in my kitchen, I'm likely to eat the whole thing myself!).

I saw on her blog there's a recipe for yellow cake with white beans. Saving that recipe, too!

She also has a recipe for frosting. I've been experimenting with erythritol and cocoa powder to make a chocolate frosting - not all that successfully, though. So I'll quit with the experimenting and just go with hers. The nice thing about these kinds of frostings is that they'll keep indefinitely in the refrigerator and can be used a little at a time to spread on breads/muffins/etc.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
It sounds delicious!
I have to make this, and I know my family will help me eat it:)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Does anyone have a problem with other family members lovin' the low carb treats so much that the "goodies" that are "D" friendly disappear way too quick? At our house my OH (who isn't one bit fussy about what he eats) always finds an excuse to help himself.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I used to make gluten-free bean cake (way too many carbs with all the added starches). It was very good.

I must give this low-carb one a try. When we are having company! (first, way too many eggs for me to have much, and, left alone in my kitchen, I'm likely to eat the whole thing myself!).

I saw on her blog there's a recipe for yellow cake with white beans. Saving that recipe, too!

She also has a recipe for frosting. I've been experimenting with erythritol and cocoa powder to make a chocolate frosting - not all that successfully, though. So I'll quit with the experimenting and just go with hers. The nice thing about these kinds of frostings is that they'll keep indefinitely in the refrigerator and can be used a little at a time to spread on breads/muffins/etc.
I've made this cake before and if you follow the directions, it is a delicious cake! However, I also made the frosting and my opinion of it was that it had an odd flavor. This was the opinion of everyone else who ate it as well. Cake part really good; frosting not so much.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Me and BH made this tonight for our normal Saturday night outing with friends. It was delicious and wonderful. Only complaint I have is it's a bit rich for my taste now and it's pretty dense (we might have missed something in the mix to cause this).

Considering our servings were 1/8 cake per slice the results werent too bad.

A nice treat but not something I could do all the time.

Sent from my iPhone

1 - 20 of 27 Posts