The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
foxl said:
The Termite, here, just poppin in to say, uuuuhm, BEANS? Pure starch, folks. Maybe it does not spike your BG, but I am betting it still spikes your insulin levels ... eat with care, y'all!
Good point. And while I did see higher BG levels, it wasn't too bad. Perhaps waiting until my phase 2 response kicked in would have helped? Or maybe having a smaller slice would have been easier. Lol

Now as for the recipe: anyone thought if a way to make it lighter? It's very dense and heavy. Almost too much for my taste.

Sent from my iPhone

· Registered
24,406 Posts
Mine is very moist, but not what I'd call heavy. It isn't going to be any angel food cake-y kind of confection. I cheated upward with the baking powder & soda. What you might do is add a splash of vinegar & beat it in quickly - that would react with the soda and give you lotsa fast leavening - you'd have to slam it in the oven immediately to take advantage of the quick reaction.

What I'm going to change in this recipe is the erythritol. Erythritol has that odd "coolish" taste like spearmint or something, which distracts me from the sweetening. I would prob'ly use liquid sweetener entirely - eliminating the erythritol crystals which don't dissolve so easily. Granulated sucralose is no good, because it includes maltodextrin, so I'm for ditching the granulated stuff altogether. By mixing several different liquid sweeteners, I think I can get away from the erythritol-y taste & have a really good very moist chocolate-y cake.

We're having the end of ours tonight with tons of whipped cream and strawberries.

· Premium Member
9,420 Posts
Regarding sweeteners and chocolate. Sucrulose tends to make chocolate bitter, which is why you'll see other sweeteners used for chocolate items. Stevia is a good choice, but not by itself as it, too, could become bitter. It works better in combination with other sweeteners. Baking with chocolate or cocoa and getting it sweet is a real challenge.

Bean cakes are dense by the very nature of their ingredients. If you think of them as "cake-like brownies" you'll love 'um for what they are.

· Registered
168 Posts
My wife made this yesterday, and I enjoyed a piece after Sunday dinner. It was very good...all that I had hoped and it has caused only a spike to 136. So I am going for a walk to knock that down a bit. Thanks Moon, for the recipe....it is good to get cake after 6 months of none.:D

· Registered
105 Posts
I kicked 1/2 cup of the erythitol to the curb and replaced it with 1/2 cup worth of E-Z Sweetz, The first time I made it I followed the recipe and found it to be good, but maybe a bit grainy. I haven't tried any frosting, just some whipped cream.

Bought one of those brownie pans with the slicer/inset whosit and used that the last time I made it - worked out great, just a nice sized sweet treat for after dinner. Even The Child who always whines about the low carb food choices here likes it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.