The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doctor diagnosed me with type 2 and I think has generally done a good job along with my diabetes nutritionist. However, he doesn't seem to offer much explanation for some odd side effects I am having - mainly blurred vision and sensitivity to light. (I may think this is lower blood sugar but I have not read of anyone having the terrible symptoms I am having) I did have an extensive check-up with my opthomologist late last year and all is well.

What does the forum think about seeing an endo... in lieu, or in addition to the primary physician for an alternate opinion? Someone I work with has stongly recommended one. My nutrionist said it is warranted if your blood sugar is NOT in control; I feel mine is in control.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree that is a good idea

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think much of the decision is up to you and your comfort zone. I am happy that my PCP moved me over to an endocrinologist. I have not had any bad experiences with my current endo, and I generally have all the time I need for questions. If time does run out, I do have a printed out list of questions and I do get an email with the answers. To me this is going over what it required and makes me a happy camper.

Plus I must be extremely fortunate because I have never been talked down to or talked at, always am included in the decision making and listened to. I am respected for my opinions and have offered suggestions for treatment that have been accepted after discussion.

I also have a nutritionist that listens to me and does not tell me I must eat so many carbs. She is mainly concerned that what I eat is nutritionally balanced and works with me to see that I stay that way. No orders of eat this or that, but suggests what I can substitute for better nutrition. Yes, she will suggest that I don't eat something - and with good reason, but it is for my health and I just say that one day a month, I've got to eat what I want whether it is nutritionally balanced or not. She would like me to eliminate these days, but does not order me to.

I am a Type 2 on insulin and happy to be with an endo that will work with me to better manage my diabetes. The only person I refuse to see is the certified diabetes educator. Five minutes into our first meeting, I was being told to eat more carbs (60 per meal) plus snacks. I started quoting ADA and their allowance for individual variances and was told that was wrong. I walked out and happened to see the Endo in the hall. Said I would never see the CDE and why. Nothing more was ever said and both the endo and nutritionist work with me to maintain the carb level I desire.

So if you are satisfied where you are, then why make a change. If you have doubts, then consider making a change. There are good PCPs and endos as well as bad ones.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well, believe it or not, I'VE been referred to an endo. My recent blood tests disclosed a high level of calcium & all the common/obvious causes were eliminated, so my PCP really wants me to see an endo. I said, "okay, just as long as he doesn't start telling me how to manage my diabetes." And bless his heart, doc kept still, but grinned broadly.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
This could be a major event in your (and endo's life)! Good luck and hopefully will be of major help for you discovering the cause of the calcium. I count on you to report on it. It could help all of us, but I truly hope you are able to discover this. Good for your PCP! He sounds very wise.

You know so many truths about our condition!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Shanny said:
Well, believe it or not, I'VE been referred to an endo. My recent blood tests disclosed a high level of calcium & all the common/obvious causes were eliminated, so my PCP really wants me to see an endo. I said, "okay, just as long as he doesn't start telling me how to manage my diabetes." And bless his heart, doc kept still, but grinned broadly.
Is there one close? I know my friend has to go to Columbia to see hers

·
Registered
298 Posts
Shanny said:
Will have to go to Springfield, drat it.
Well that's better than Columbia

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well that's better than Columbia
It's a little closer, but we're more familiar with Columbia & University Physicians. It will be a big help to stay with St John's though . . . all my records are there at the click of a mouse for the endo & my PCP doc will stay on top of it too - he never just refers & then forgets about it - he really keeps up with his patients.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Shanny said:
It's a little closer, but we're more familiar with Columbia & University Physicians. It will be a big help to stay with St John's though . . . all my records are there at the click of a mouse for the endo & my PCP doc will stay on top of it too - he never just refers & then forgets about it - he really keeps up with his patients.
That's good

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
This could be a major event in your (and endo's life)! Good luck and hopefully will be of major help for you discovering the cause of the calcium. I count on you to report on it. It could help all of us, but I truly hope you are able to discover this. Good for your PCP! He sounds very wise.
Now that I let the cat outta the bag, I'll definitely keep you updated on it. :D

And yeah, we really appreciate our doc. He's been so good to us through some pretty hairy times.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Now that I let the cat outta the bag, I'll definitely keep you updated on it. :D

And yeah, we really appreciate our doc. He's been so good to us through some pretty hairy times.
Good luck to you Shanny, I hope they find out what is going on!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I just came on here to see if anyone knew anything about Hyperparathyroidism, Shanny! and here you are, with elevated calcium. SIGH.

Keep us abreast. It is supposed to be very minor surgery ...

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Tested for PTH & vitamin D metabolites, which are both okay (parathyroid hormone normal - vitamin D slightly low),

Doc had put me on calcium/vitamin D supplements last summer after my bone density scan; now I've stopped that & we won't be introducing anything new until we get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Thinking good thoughts, Shanny!

(Love your PCP!)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts