The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I joined this group, as a good friend of mine was diagnosed last week. His eating habits have not been optimum, though he is very healthy in every other area. No smoking/No drinking/regular excerciser. He does have quite a bit of stress in his life, though. He has been eating healthier for 3 or 4 days now, though his blood sugar level is now 100 higher, than it was priot to RX and healthy eating. Does anyone know why this could be?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello gr8ngrgirl, welcome aboard! Is your friend overweight? A lot iof extra weight can cause insulin resistance which can then lead to Type 2 diabetes. If he is not overweight then it may just be that he is prediabetic. To keep it from progressing he should start reducing his daily intake of carbohydrates. Have him follow a normal routine one day and record the number of grams of carbohydrates he has eaten that day. Also record his blood sugar every time he tests. Then try reducing the number of carbs gradually to a max of 150g per day. Later on he may further reduce the carbs to 130g or even further. I am on a 120g carbs per day and I exercise every day. A low carb diet helps in losing weight and it keeps the blood sugar lower as well. Good luck to both of you!

Richard

1 - 2 of 2 Posts