The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like most seniors (and most juniors), I've been very, very loyal to my habits, good or bad. They've been a big part of 'me' for such a long time. At first the thought of dropping most carbs out of my life was kinda scary. Horribly scary, actually.

But now ... one great outcome of changing my dietary habits (you know, the LCHF thing, plus very little wine these days) is that I feel freer than I have in years. Not only has my BG dropped, but I no longer feel beholden to, or even partly defined by, those old habits that at one time seemed impossible to break away from.

At 65, this new-found freedom from "who I thought I was" (at least in part) is wonderful. It's made me think, hey, what else can I change that might make life better? Add or subtract. There's a lot of optional stuff even in the mid-60s.

Sure, my bg control isn't perfect, but so what? Nothing else is, either (hearing, vision, joints, bank account ...). Just do as well as I can.

I guess I've finally realized that enjoying reality, all of it, is just fine. Don't have to cling /be chained to old habits for no good reason. It's grand letting go of some of that old, now useless (even dangerous) stuff at long last. Don't need it any more.

Letting go isn't a burden or deprivation, it's a relief. Great stress & anxiety-reducer, too, which is definitely good for BG.

Of course I do still need my BG meter :D

·
Registered
568 Posts
~~ 4th Corner ~~

It looks like you are progressing nicely. And I am with you totally in the "change in attitude". I find I have more energy and desire to do more things. But I am looking at changing some of my other bad health habits too. This diabetes thing could actually turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts