The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what levels do peeps have , and what are the general views in their part of the world, and as a tie in to the statin debate
in the uk the medical view is for diabetic's to be under 4 , which is ny on impossible at the age of 48 with out the aid of statins (that word again )
i am currently 5.2 and will decide with the diabetic nurse when i have my next 6monthly check up , and as the forum touches so many parts of the world-what's ya line

G

·
My labs from the 3rd of this month say Cholesterol 146 mg/dL [<200]. Converted that would mean 8.1 mmol/L [<11.1]. I do take a statin every morning, Lipitor 20MG. I chase the Lipitor with 2 strips of thick bacon and 2 Xtra Large eggs fried in the bacon grease. I'm also about 80 pounds overweight...but I'm a jolly overweight. Some diabetics struggle to meet goals set by others and their life sucks on a daily basis because of it. I embrace the horror. That may sound a bit flippant...but let me explain.

I'm 67; I've outlived and buried everyone I've ever known. I've been to war; shot, stabbed, blown up, beat unconscious, a POW, an outlaw motorcycle club member for 41 years, survived 4 years in San Quentin Prison and 3 wives. The hardest thing I've ever had to deal with was raising a daughter...I wouldn't wish that on anybody!

We're all going to die someday of something. Myself, I'm goin' out with a smile on my face...or I'm not goin' at all! :cool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
good luck to ya

i take it u r a type2 , and diagnosed late in life bountyman?
very young people can have type1 , and respectfully your view on life wouldn't serve them well
with diabetes type1 it is quite easy to have good control (the goals set by others), if you are prepared to get into the subject deeply , and have a good understanding of whats going on -it is pretty simple at the end of the day too
it depends on how old you are when you got diabetes - with type 1 , many youngsters get it as its mostly genetic-imagine an 18 year old that has been diabetic sine he was 8 , but because he didn't take any interest in controlling his sugars, his future is f**ked-his eyesight is f**ked-his circulation is f**ked, and he has to go on a kidney machine 3 times a wk
me i was a type1 at 39 , and had my right kidney out when i was 47 , cause it had a 5cm by 6cm grade3 cancer growing in the middle of it , so the only choice for me is try to be as healthy as possible , and hopefully i can made 67 too .
i'm not beating up on ya bud , but not everyone can take the oh f**K it atitude

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My numbers are all in my signature block, and my cholesterol is looking really good. I took lovastatin 20mg for several months, but doc took me off it last time I was in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
blood sugar levels

i am amazed , with both ya blood sugar averages-late 5's and early 6's
my last one was 2 days a go and i was 7.1 , and i'm told the target is no higher than 7.so they were plzed with me - i've had a few under 7 , but they include several hypo's , and i was told by
a diabetic nurse once , under 7 by much would be with lots of hypo's
how many type1's achieve those low levels regulary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts