The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have had always had issues with my sugar levels, but I was diagnosed in 2006. I found out it was genetic.

I have several questions:

1. I sometimes have seizures. I've had two in one day after just a light make-out session with my (now ex) boyfriend, one before and one after. Is it related to intimacy, stress, or is it a normal deal?

2. I still have the "symptoms" of diabetes, several years after (frequent urination, dry mouth, loss and gain of weight, etc.), is this normal?

3. I am thinking about getting a meter. Any suggestions?

4. I am not insulin dependent. Is there anything that tells you that you should?

5. I have frequent leg and foot numbing and sometimes I cannot feel them at all. Normal because of bad circulation or a sign?

I have always eaten fairly healthy and low in sugar and I watch what I do. Please help in anyway you can and I will greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hey, I have had always had issues with my sugar levels, but I was diagnosed in 2006. I found out it was genetic.

I have several questions:
Hi and Welcome! I'm assuming Type 2 Diabetes... is that what you were told? Do you recall your Blood Glucose (BG) level -- or any other blood test such as A1c -- at time of diagnosis?

1. I sometimes have seizures. I've had two in one day after just a light make-out session with my (now ex) boyfriend, one before and one after. Is it related to intimacy, stress, or is it a normal deal?
Seizures are not normal and need to be investigated further by a Doctor.

2. I still have the "symptoms" of diabetes, several years after (frequent urination, dry mouth, loss and gain of weight, etc.), is this normal?
What are your BG levels like now? If your BGs are not normal you can still have the symptoms associated with high BG levels.

3. I am thinking about getting a meter. Any suggestions?
How are you currently monitoring your BG levels? Yes! you need a BG meter in order to take control.

4. I am not insulin dependent. Is there anything that tells you that you should?
Insulin can be a useful tool for managing BG levels even in Type 2.

5. I have frequent leg and foot numbing and sometimes I cannot feel them at all. Normal because of bad circulation or a sign?
These could be related to long term complications of Diabetes. How is your BG control?

I have always eaten fairly healthy and low in sugar and I watch what I do. Please help in anyway you can and I will greatly appreciate it.
What do you mean by "eaten fairly healthy"..? Please provide examples. There is not a clear consensus on what constitutes an healthy diet for anyone, least of all someone with Diabetes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding so quickly. I don't know my levels of when I was diagnosed (yes, type 2) because they never sent over my test from Hawaii (I was on vacation), but I imagine it was not good.

The thing is: My doctor is in full denial that I have diabetes. I had another doctor until a couple of months ago, so she retired and here I have this one. She ran tests and just told me that I just needed to eat more potassium and will not give me a meter, medication, or insulin suggestions. I can't afford a meter, according to my parents, without my insurance/doctor backing me up! So therefore, I don't know what my levels are.

My meal plan is (depending):
-breakfast: regular cheerios with bananas
-lunch: wheat tortilla with some meat and broccoli, maybe some cheese
-dinner: salmon with green beans and corn
-snacks (in between): sometimes a little fruit, yogurt, or bread, depending if how i'm feeling
-drinks: i never drank soda, so mostly water and hot green tea (at night)
-dessert: very rare (i'm not kidding), and it's 1/2 a kashi cookie or something like that

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Well, personally, I have had much better control over my blood sugar by avoiding all sugars and starches -- even fruits, whole grains and legumes spiked me.

What you are eating would have had me in the 200's regularly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Time for a new doctor

You sound like you are living in a different country other than the US Is this right? Meters can be bought at the pharmacy without a doctors prescription and then the manufacture rebates you the cost. They want your business for the strips not the meter so they make it free. You definitely need a new doctor. All your symptoms are real and your doctor needs to provide answers and medical care. I had a friend who had seizures with diabetes when her blood sugars were very low.
This is a disease that requires monitoring and a good team of healthcare providers. Please make the effort to get a new doctor and get your parents more involved. Especially if you are seizing and have numbness.
Take care!!

Thanks for responding so quickly. I don't know my levels of when I was diagnosed (yes, type 2) because they never sent over my test from Hawaii (I was on vacation), but I imagine it was not good.

The thing is: My doctor is in full denial that I have diabetes. I had another doctor until a couple of months ago, so she retired and here I have this one. She ran tests and just told me that I just needed to eat more potassium and will not give me a meter, medication, or insulin suggestions. I can't afford a meter, according to my parents, without my insurance/doctor backing me up! So therefore, I don't know what my levels are.

My meal plan is (depending):
-breakfast: regular cheerios with bananas
-lunch: wheat tortilla with some meat and broccoli, maybe some cheese
-dinner: salmon with green beans and corn
-snacks (in between): sometimes a little fruit, yogurt, or bread, depending if how i'm feeling
-drinks: i never drank soda, so mostly water and hot green tea (at night)
-dessert: very rare (i'm not kidding), and it's 1/2 a kashi cookie or something like that

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.