The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been buying Ice Breakers mints for as long as I can remember. Lately I've been noticing that even though each mint is 1 carb, my b.g. can raise 20 points. There's all kinds of good ingredients in here (rolling eyes): Ingredients: Sorbitol; Maltitol; Maltodextrin; Artificial Flavor; Aspartame*; Magnesium Stearate; Gum Acacia; Artificial Color (Blue 1; Yellow 5); Soy Lecithin. *Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine.

What in the list would cause this?

Have you found any mints that *don't* raise your b.g.?

Suzi

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
For many people sugar alcohols raise BG as much as carbs... Maltitol, Sorbitol are both sugar alcohols.

Maltodextrin also spikes many people, as it's a starch (derived from corn) used in many, many items.

I generally don't eat mints. Others might have some suggestions, but what works for one may NOT work for others.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
39 Posts
Older post revisited? Im in the same boat! Anyone else have a peppermint that wont raise bg? I have troubles with sour stomach and peppermint really works well for me.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Unfortunately, you may want to add fresh peppermint leaves to ice water or try using the peppermint itself. I have tried several brands of sugar free mints including Brachs, which is the most widely sold, & they all raise my BG. Personally, I think it's the malitol, as it seems like all products with malitol raise me.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Peppermint tea perhaps? Not as convenient as a drop, though.

Fragmints "peppermint frost" SF candy is made with xylitol and claims 1g carb per serving. made by Global Sweet - Xylitol, D-Mannose, Sugar Free Sweetener I found mine at a health-food store. I only use it occasionally.

I seldom have heartburn now with eating LC/HF.

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I sometimes suffer from "ketosis breath" :D and when I am out and about, I don't want to offend. I take 1 spearmint Tic Tac and it solves the problem. They don't have quite as many bad things as other mints. Never had any bg bump from it.

I'm with Shanny, lc/hf cured me of the gastric issues I had for many years.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Talking about things that LCHF has cured, my husband has always suffered from horrible sleep apnea. Since he's been eating LCHF, it has drastically improved. It was actually so bad that it was very worrisome to me, for a long time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for all the replies... my problem is more nausea than heartburn. I doubt I'll be able to do lchf diet with my heart and circulatory problems....

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also have sleep apnea... Im not much overweight...maybe 20 lbs of excess gut. Ive got a machine but its uncomfortable as hell to sleep with.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
My husband's a large man, but he's had sleep apnea for many years, even before he was larger. He's never gotten medical care for it (just can't convince him), but since he's been eating LC, I definitely notice a great improvement. It's nowhere near as bad as it was and that's the only change he's made.

·
Registered
83 Posts
How about just brushing your teeth? They make those cute little ones you can use without water (although I'd still probably want to rinse).:brushteeth:

·
Registered
20 Posts
If the problem is nausea, why not sip some water with a drop or two of peppermint extract?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Might have to give that a shot Wanda but I gotta say these last few days on Insulin instead of the Amaryl and Victoza I really havent had much troubles with nausea! That Victoza for me was bad news!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts