The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had the report from my latest eye screening which says that I have a slight deteriation in my left eye. Having been diagnosed with type 2 about 2yrs ago I still can't get my head around it and tend to ignore the fact that I should cut down on sugar intake (chocolate is the worst). I've put off coming on this forum for a while now, mainly because I just hate being told what to do! And yet I know I should be more active in controlling things if I don't want to get much worse. At the moment I don't take any tablets etc, I just have to control by diet. I'm my own worst enemy but ????? there I go again!!!:confused:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi foxy . . . good to meet you. Rest assured we won't tell you what to do; all we can say is what works for us, and let you decide for yourself. It does get scary though, when your vision starts to go, or your toes start tingling, or your basic metabolic panel results show your kidney function is reduced.

I wonder if it would help you to have a different doctor? Have you ever consulted an endocrinologist who specializes in diabetes? Your GP is prob'ly a good doctor, but often the general practice docs can't quite keep up with all things diabetic, because they have so many other ailments to stay studied up on too. An endocrinologist might be more concerned with getting your blood sugars lowered too, than always harping on weight. Obviously weight loss can help diabetes, but I think the first order of business is getting those numbers down. That's what's going to start helping our eyes, toes & kidneys!

So I'm glad to see you back, and I hope you'll be able to turn things around . . . we're here to help in any way we can, however much you let us. It's always good to have people to talk to who know exactly what you're going through.

take care,

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hi Foxy

Diabetes is something that can be controlled only by the diabetic so you make the choices.

I noticed you said sugars, sugar is a carb and its all carbs that raise BGL. So choosing the diet coke over the coke is a good choice. Having 1/2 of a potato instead of a hole potato is a good choice. (potato is worse than eating sugar for BGL)

the "RULES" are what people found work for them. You can make your own rules. How much and how often is the key.

To prevent complications from getting worse YOU need to control your BGL.
your tools

Pills and or insulin
lowers BGL (blood glucose levels)
exercise
Lowers BGL
Food
carbohydrates (carbs) Raises BGL
especially bad carbs, almost anything white. white bread, potato, rice, (eating a potato is worse than eating sugar as far as BGL goes.)
Protein and fat
slows the affects of carbs.

Read the labels on food packages
get to know the Glycemic index of foods.
Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load

TEST before a meal, test 1 hour after a meal, 2 hours after.
that will tell you how well your choice was. there are lots f choices.

Basically those are the tools you have, use them well and you will have a long Happy life.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input.

I'll have another go at posting this! Last time I got the "not logged in" after putting "submit post".

Unfortunately it's only half the story regarding my inability to come to grips with the situation, I was born spinabifida and have arthritic complications of the spine which means I am in quite a lot of pain most days. Added to which trying to get my weight under control and having the occasional bout of IBS sometimes makes me feel whether it's all worth it.......?? Enough said on that!
As for the testing suggestion which is put forward quite a lot on this forum, here in England it's being phased out as much as possible as they feel it's not necessary for type 2's. Think it's more of a cost cutting drive by the NHS! However, I do have a very reasonably priced outlet where I get my stuff from anyway.
As for the comment on "sugars" I think I really need to get aquainted with the technical terms that are used so I can understand things better - (hard for me to read though as my eyes don't focus properly - it's the opposite of being crosseyed!)
Well, there we go. And I'm sure there are people worse off than me! I'll keep coming back here to read others experiences and hopefully get more enthused about the situation.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I'll have another go at posting this! Last time I got the "not logged in" after putting "submit post".

Unfortunately it's only half the story regarding my inability to come to grips with the situation, I was born spinabifida and have arthritic complications of the spine which means I am in quite a lot of pain most days. Added to which trying to get my weight under control and having the occasional bout of IBS sometimes makes me feel whether it's all worth it.......?? Enough said on that!
As for the testing suggestion which is put forward quite a lot on this forum, here in England it's being phased out as much as possible as they feel it's not necessary for type 2's. Think it's more of a cost cutting drive by the NHS! However, I do have a very reasonably priced outlet where I get my stuff from anyway.
As for the comment on "sugars" I think I really need to get aquainted with the technical terms that are used so I can understand things better - (hard for me to read though as my eyes don't focus properly - it's the opposite of being crosseyed!)
Well, there we go. And I'm sure there are people worse off than me! I'll keep coming back here to read others experiences and hopefully get more enthused about the situation.
That is sad to hear that in England testing is being phased out for T2. Daily testing guides most diabetics in developing a treatment plan and most of all it is one way to know what your blood sugar is several times per day. The A1C is truly the best overall test, but most of us get an A1C every three months. Glad to hear you plan on testing regardless. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thought I would just update some info on here.
I have been on a WW diet and managed to lose 16lbs so far.
Altho' I haven't been as fastidious about the testing bit I do it every so often and am glad to report that my Bg is usually between 7.6 and 6.6 which is much better than before.
Unfortunatly, my back problem has not improved at all so excercise is practically negligible, except of course my daily housework which is according to what I am able to manage on a day to day basis.
Overall, things are much better than they used to be.!!..:D

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Altho' I haven't been as fastidious about the testing bit I do it every so often and am glad to report that my Bg is usually between 7.6 and 6.6 which is much better than before.
Unfortunatly, my back problem has not improved at all so excercise is practically negligible, except of course my daily housework which is according to what I am able to manage on a day to day basis.
That is great news, keep up the good work!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thank you for the update, Foxy . . . it's always nice to see a little good news & congratulations on your weight loss. I hope you'll continue popping back to visit with us, and maybe you can get even better control - the group support has been a real benefit for me anyhow.

take care & hurry back! :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Foxy, I value everyone's input - failures as well as successes. We all stumble and fall occasionally. It's nice to be able to talk about that without fear of condemnation. Obviously, you are still trying, still motivated, or you wouldn't be here. Don't give up on the forum.... or yourself.

End of lecture. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies, nice to know I am not forgotten...lol!

Staying at my daughters at the mo' and somehow don't seem to be able to buckle down to it! Can't blame her as she is on a diet as well and has lost 4lb this last week or so. Just seem to be lacksadasical - LAZY - in other words!! At least I haven't put any weight on, so that's a blessing.
Will get back to it when I get home....:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm here again with a further update!
Pleased to say that I have been able to get my weight down even further - now lost 30lb. Feel so much better for it altho' to be honest my general well being has not been good, sounds like a contradiction but unfortunately I have ankolising spondilitis which is gradually getting worse. Waiting to go for scans on my shoulders and arms as they are affected and hopefully will get an injection to help with the pain.
Sorry I don't visit very often but I do find it difficult to read too much about "illnesses" as I am prone to depression and am liable to get very down if I am not careful.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
We're happy to see you whenever you can get here, and huge congratulations on your continuing weight loss! Sorry about the AS . . . if the injections are cortisone - that is steroids - you'll prob'ly see your blood sugar becoming unstable. But they really knock out the pain - at least they did when my better half had his broken-down hip injected.

Again, take care & hurry back! :hug:

O

·
0 Posts
congrats Foxy on your weight loss, that's quite an achievement. Having pain in your body doesn't help with BGLs at all and the steroids wouldn't be a great help... they have a tendancy to make your BGLs sky rocket. But on the bright side it should help you with your pain. It's annoying how one thing is supposed to make you better and it seem to stuff something else up... joys of man made products I suppose.

·
Registered
137 Posts
While A1C may be a good test for some people it is inaccurate for those with anything but an average glycation rate. As an example I've had bgs of 66 and 266 in the same day but my A1C is roughly normal:

Pitfalls in the use of HbA1c as a diagnostic test: the ethnic conundrum : Abstract : Nature Reviews Endocrinology

That is sad to hear that in England testing is being phased out for T2. Daily testing guides most diabetics in developing a treatment plan and most of all it is one way to know what your blood sugar is several times per day. The A1C is truly the best overall test, but most of us get an A1C every three months. Glad to hear you plan on testing regardless. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've just had the report from my latest eye screening which says that I have a slight deteriation in my left eye. Having been diagnosed with type 2 about 2yrs ago I still can't get my head around it and tend to ignore the fact that I should cut down on sugar intake (chocolate is the worst). I've put off coming on this forum for a while now, mainly because I just hate being told what to do! And yet I know I should be more active in controlling things if I don't want to get much worse. At the moment I don't take any tablets etc, I just have to control by diet. I'm my own worst enemy but ????? there I go again!!!:confused:
I understand, i avoided a diabetic support group for a long time becaude i didn't want to get called on my bad habits. I used to eat like that guy on u-tube with total disregard for what i did to my body but since i got married 2 1/2 years ago that has changed. How i eat affects not only me but my wife also. I have been eating selfishly my whole life and now is the time to stop. I love the comfort i get from food, especially chocolate, pizza and chips but in order to get my diabetes under control i must give them up. I see since joining this forum others have done it, so , so can i.

Don't guilt yourself and don't let others guilt you either, none of us is perfect.

Good luck and keep on keeping on-lol. Mikey

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Me back again! .. :D
I am struggling to lose anymore weight and stuck at 14.7 thereabouts for yonks!! Very annoying.
Continue to do well with the DB results and my check-up nurse was very pleased.
Back pain continues to be getting worse and have had to increase my painkillers to a stronger one..Co-codamol.
Am now taking Orlistat for weight loss as I am absolutely determined to get another 3stone shifted... that will then put me at around 11st which for my height of 4'11" is still quite overweight. At least I should look a bit better and not such a Norfolk Dumpling!! .. :rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts