The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody want to play a game?

I know a lot of people hate the idea of shopping and cooking when they first have to change their diet. It's SO much easier and faster to go into a store or fast food restaurant and pick out packaged foods. But those are often highly processed, doused in seed oils, and full of sugar and salt.

I had a lot of trouble with this when I first began low carb. Sometimes I'd walk through a grocery store thinking "I can't have this or this or this. I can't have anything." I felt royally sorry for myself.

But I watch those cooking game shows on tv (I don't really like them all that much, sometimes they are downright mean--whatever happened to old fashioned recipe shows?) and often wondered what would happen if they had the Low Carb Show (definitely needs a more catchy title!)? In it, contestants would be challenged to come up with low carb dishes, meals, or menus using only ingredients you can buy from the 7/11 or a truck stand, or a gourmet meal from the Dollar Tree that's also low carb, or cook a low carb meal for two on a campfire, most decadent low carb meal, etc. I don't really frequent 7/11 and truck stands, but I like to think up similar challenges for myself, even if I don't really buy the food and cook it.

I also like to make real challenges for myself. My husband is the cook in the family, though I make some meals and I shop the farmers market and Whole Foods when he doesn't get everything we need from his employer's farm store. Sometimes my challenges are "how can I get offal into two meals this week?" or "can I come up with a week of breakfast menus that don't involve eggs?".

Seriously, it keeps me going when it would be SO much easier to buy a heat and eat pizza at Safeway.

Since it's never going to happen in real life, how about a "fantasy" game show here? Contestants (anybody can join in the fun) will be given a challenge and a few days to respond. You don't have to actually buy or cook the food, but you must use foods in your response that can really be purchased (or otherwise sourced depending on the challenge) and prepared the way you propose, and the recipes must be edible. We could have votes for the weirdest or funniest, best tasting, most creative, lowest carb or glycemic load, and a booby prize or the one voted most likely to raise your blood sugar and insulin levels. Nobody would get eliminated, you will all live to play another round.

Is anybody in? If I can get five "contestants" I'll propose the first challenge and a deadline. Contestants can "play" themselves or adopt their favorite celebrity personas.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
With great trepidation and a strong suspicion my lack of cooking skills will lead to much humor......I'm in.

On the TV cooking shows thing, I am fascinated to find there are now "Rock Star Chefs". I enjoy some of the competition shows (but some are just silly/mean - 'cook this entire four course dinner using a Swiss Army Knife as your only tool and six candles as your heat source'). And I love Good Eats reruns- now that was an interesting recipe show!

Reactions: Janknitz

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
You've gotta pitch this to a network! Or maybe your local access channel. Hey -- maybe we can do a YouTube series!

(I'm actually sort of serious about that.)

I don't bother with 7/11 as a rule, but they're everywhere. Road trips are a huge challenge, plus, in some places that is the neighborhood grocery store. Low-Carb 7/11 is most intriguing. Hmmmm ...

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
We have Quiktrip and RaceTrack where I live (7/11s became extinct in this environment some decades ago). Hmmm, I will have to drop in and look around.

I know I got some tasty & LCHF cheese in one of them a few years ago.... Are we allowed to feed the corn dog coating to the pigeons?

I fell asleep listening to Chopped a few nights ago. I remember thinking as I drifted off, 'If I could drop that one secret ingredient I could make a really great LCHF meal from the others'.

·
Banned
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fun, looks like we have our first contestants--though anyone may join in at any time. In the next couple of days I'll post some basic rules and the first challenge. I know there are regional (and international!) differences with stores and things, so I'll try to keep it somewhat generic. If what I propose just won't work in your region (truck stops in France?) then you can suggest an analogous challenge for your location. Not all of the challenges will involve shopping.

If someone has a challenge in mind, PM me and we can make you "guest host" for a challenge.

Main rule is, let's have fun, but be kind to each other.

·
Banned
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, for those who want to play our Diabetes Forum Challenge game, here are the rules:

1. We are here to have fun, and possibly to learn something. Let’s keep it positive and supportive. If you don’t have something nice to say, keep it to yourself. If you want to say something funny, make sure it’s not at the expense of others.

2. Each week we’ll post a challenge with a deadline date. You do not have to actually purchase and buy food for the challenge, but your entry must be realistic, doable, and edible if someone tries it.

3. Everyone will have a chance to vote on each entry in categories:
a. Most creative solution
b. Most likely to result in good glycemic control under the circumstances
c. Funniest or weirdest
d. Idea most people are likely to try

4. Prizes are virtual. The biggest prize is fun with the challenge.

5. Everyone is welcome to participate, and if you have a challenge, feel free to email me about being the “guest host”.

6. You should not post a recipe that’s already published on the web or in a cookbook or other publication without at least giving credit and/or linking to the original source, and it’s better if you adapt the recipe for the challenge (but still credit the original). Be mindful of copyrights and the fact that some people make their living selling their recipes.

Before we get started, how about a little “warm up” contest to figure out a better name for our game show? Any ideas? Please, please, please come up with something better than "Diabetes Eaties" which is all I can think of!

·
Registered
800 Posts
If you use real food then count me in....at least if near a shopping day.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Top Carb

or

Chopped Carbs

?

(Name that competition is kinda fun in and of itself)

·
Super Moderator
10,022 Posts
Carb_less_licious

·
Registered
801 Posts
The Name Game: Iron Low-Carb

And I just happened to wonder what was in a Frappuccino, because it's like 1000 degrees today and I'm wondering what to have for dinner. I have an answer:

basic 'Frap' recipe is:
strong (double-strength) dark-roast coffee (1C per serving, cooled)
ice
heavy cream (double cream, or coconut cream or almond milk) (as desired, some people prefer to do without, I'm just not one of them)
flavors of choice (so fake sweenter of your personal non-spikey and preferred flavor variety)

Put everything in a blender until you get the consistency you are looking for.

Now, for additives, here is a list that I came up with:
Dark chocolate (85%+) as chips
SF syrup of choice (I love my salted caramel)
Cinnamon/clove/cardamom/allspice/nutmeg

Sorry for jumping the gun, but it just sounds perfect for breakfast tomorrow (I'm working from home, have to deal with A/C contractors, and can make the coffee when I get home and have it chilled and ready!)

·
Banned
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, contestants, are you ready for your first challenge? Remember, anybody can play along. Entries should be submitted by midnight PST, next Friday. and over the weekend will be the "judging".

You don't actually have to prepare the food, but your food or recipe should be REAL food that will be edible if prepared as you suggest. If you use a recipe published in a book or on the web, be sure to give credit, and link back to websites where the recipe is published. If you substantially change a recipe, you still should give credit to the original recipe author and explain how you changed it.

And now, your first challenge:
Your mother in law is coming to dinner. She's critical of your way of eating. She's been diabetic for 10 years, on a ton of medication and still poorly controlled, but her doctor has told her she can eat whatever she wants "in moderation", so she thinks you should do the same. She considers LCHF a "crazy fad diet" that is "going to kill you". Plan a LCHF meal with at least three courses that your MIL won't notice is LCHF.

Post your menu.

Let the games begin, may the odds be ever in your favor :clap2:

Ohh, how about "The Non-Hunger Games"????

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Ummmmm ... Jan? So, aaahhh, when did you plant the vidcam in my parents-in-laws' house?

Menu on the way, after sunrise.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Except that she is not diabetic (at least not DXd - I am beginning to wonder), when did you meet my sister?

I LOVE "The Non-Hunger Games"!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts