The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Him,
My name is Sharon, I am 41 and have had type 1 diabetes for 7 years. I am married with 2 children aged 12 and 9. Big shock being diagnosed as no family history, nor did I have gestational diabetes and was otherwise fit and well! Just gone on to animas insulin pump 2 weeks ago, not off to a great start and was wondering how others have fared with pumps? Does it get any easier to navigate and how about having to wear the thing 24/7? I have had it fall out, rip out (line and all!) and 2 lots of un- explained high BGL's so far!!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Him,
My name is Sharon, I am 41 and have had type 1 diabetes for 7 years. I am married with 2 children aged 12 and 9. Big shock being diagnosed as no family history, nor did I have gestational diabetes and was otherwise fit and well! Just gone on to animas insulin pump 2 weeks ago, not off to a great start and was wondering how others have fared with pumps? Does it get any easier to navigate and how about having to wear the thing 24/7? I have had it fall out, rip out (line and all!) and 2 lots of un- explained high BGL's so far!!
Hello Sharon and Welcome to the Forum :)

I have had type 1 diabetes for 8+ years and it is a bit overwhelming at first. Sometimes it gets to be too much even now - it seems we all go through stages where the pump is too much or the ups and downs are too much etc.

Do you have a pump trainer that was provided to you by the Animas company? That person should be able to help you with the problems you've mentioned. I can tell you what I did and maybe others on the forum will be along shortly.

Yes, it does get easier to navigate. For you I'm sure it is made more challenging by the fact that you have two young children. If there is a day when the children are in school, maybe you could sit down with the pump manual and read a few pages. I was gobsmacked when I first got the pump and I thought "I will never be able to do this". But here it is a year later and I am doing ok.

As far as the pump falling out, where do you wear it? Being female I wear mine in my bra the majority of the time. I also place the pump inside of a baby sock to protect it from perspiration whilst in the bra. When I insert the infusion set, I place a few pieces of tape - one across the set itself (depending on which set you use) and another piece of tape about 2 inches away from the set. This helps to keep the tubing in place so that it isn't jerked out accidentally.

Is your doctor or Endocrinologist working with you to establish good basal rates? This step is absolutely essential - sort of like building a house. If you don't have a good foundation you have nothing substantial. There is a book that I found helpful called "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh. I bought mine on Amazon.com. It explains so many things about pumping insulin and can answer questions that may come up.

Don't know if I have helped you or not, but please don't give up yet. It does get easier and I think you can do it. Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks strawberry

Thanks for your welcome. I am wearing the pump just in my pocket at the moment, have tried the bra thing but it is bulky and uncomfortable I find. Can really see the square outline through my clothes! Yes, I had one session with an animas rep but I am 6 hrs round trip away from any help at the hospital where I got fitted. Just e mailing the educator now for assistance. I have had the pump just fall to the floor twice and ripped the line completely out, maybe taping might help. Will try, thanks. Yes, I have the book "pumping insulin" by John Walsh, also purchased from amazon but I got it ages ago, well before the pump and was overwhelmed by it to be honest! Have had a bit of a look at it since starting pump and yes it has been helpful. I find snacking between meals a pain though as levels will be high if I don't tell the pump what I am having. How do you get around this or don't you? I think I have my basal and everything set pretty right as if I don't eat or snack my levels are pretty consistently around 4-6. I have just fiddled with this myself as no one was really willing to do this with me during the first week as they wanted to see how I was going to go but I was constantly high so I changed all the levels myself!! Endo not much help as he is also 6 hrs round trip away too and like all endo's pretty stretched for time and hard to catch!

Thanks for your help and quick reply, yes you helped!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
G-day Sharon,

Yes, when I first read the book "Pumping Insulin" I was overwhelmed and I put it aside. However, now that I have a pump myself, I decided to give it a go again. He explains everything quite well, and one thing I learned from reading was to tape the infusion set and the tubing to your body. It is a pain to do this maybe, but well worth the effort. It also takes time for us to remember that "hey - there is this life saving machine that I have to be aware of 24/7 attached to me at all times except when taking a shower or other activities.

I do understand about being far away from the Endo or the Animas pump trainer. Since I have a Medtronic pump I only know of their tech support help line. Does Animas have a telly number you can call if you have questions? Maybe you should look into that as it wouldn't involve driving, especially when you have young children at home.

Sometimes a small snack between meals is necessary to keep our levels more even. I agree it can be a nuisance to be telling the pump what every morsel we eat so it can figure out the proper insulin dose. But in my opinion it is way better than doing an insulin injection every time you eat.

You have had a bit of a shock - being just diagnosed and trying to get used to the idea. There are many people on this forum who've had Diabetes longer than I have and are doing very well. I'm telling you this so you won't become utterly discouraged. Stay strong mate. And come back and visit with us here. We will try and help answer questions. We aren't doctors or health professionals, just people that are struggling with many of the same problems you do. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Him,
Hi Sharon...I too recently started pumping...April 2011. I was very anxious at first but now I love it. HATE wearing it..not exactly fashion friendly..lol...but I love what it does for my blood sugars!! I went on the medtronic website and order some of the belts with pouches to hold my pump. One goes around your waist and their is one for your leg as well. I also use the really sticky skin prep before I do a site change. I t will help make it stick to your skin better..I was having the same issue at first with it peeling off. I love having a shower..just to be able to disconnect is awesome. I'm no expert but if you have any questions please feel free to send me a message.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi Sharon, welcome! It took me about 3 months before I was completely satisfied with pumping. I kept very thorough records from the start, did basal testing and tweaked my settings until things were going well. I recommend the book "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh. it has helped many pumpers. Be sure to rotate your sites, so you do not develop any scar tissue. Scar tissue can cause poor absorption of the insulin, and that causes high blood sugar.

Good luck with your Animas!

Richard

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for you reply

Hi Sharon...I too recently started pumping...April 2011. I was very anxious at first but now I love it. HATE wearing it..not exactly fashion friendly..lol...but I love what it does for my blood sugars!! I went on the medtronic website and order some of the belts with pouches to hold my pump. One goes around your waist and their is one for your leg as well. I also use the really sticky skin prep before I do a site change. I t will help make it stick to your skin better..I was having the same issue at first with it peeling off. I love having a shower..just to be able to disconnect is awesome. I'm no expert but if you have any questions please feel free to send me a message.
I am getting more acquainted with my pump although still not in love with wearing it 24/7! I am looking for a belt and the sticky things sound good. Where do you get them? Seeing the educator in a few weeks so hope to do some more fine tuning then. Will keep in touch, thanks for your support.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts