The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all those who use quick pens. Do you guys really use sharps containers for your needle tips or do you just throw them in the trash. Mine have been building up in different containers but I sometimes throw them strait in the trash. Is it really something to feel that guilty about? It just doesn't seem right buying small containers in the store and shipping for "proper disposal" whatever that means.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't use sharps containers. You can put them in a milk jug and tape the lid when full. Just throw in the trash. The needle is a safety needle so it can't hurt anyone.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I use a sharps container and every morning put my used needles and lancets in the container. I throw the pens in the trash. I wouldn't feel guilty but since they are so cheap, I see no reason to not use them.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
There's another issue that enters into this, and that is what the law says. Proper disposal is usually mandated by local bio-hazard laws.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
There's another issue that enters into this, and that is what the law says. Proper disposal is usually mandated by local bio-hazard laws.
That's another reason why I have used the sharps container. It is so much easier. I know that here in Wichita, using a liquid detergent container is good enough if it is labeled properly.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My doctors office has a container available for me to drop off my medical waste (test strips too - they are blood contaminated) it's actually outside of the building during the day so I don't even have to go in. They already have a system set up for permanent disposal with the proper labeling, etc. - I think all clinics should do this.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I was told that as long as I put the safety cap back on I can dispose of them in my own waste basket. As for the Lancets same thing as long as I put the cover back on it. hmmm now you all got worried. :D:D

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
And thank heaven we have you to find the link every time! Thanks, Breeze! How you feel today? Like you went through the wringer? (((Breeze)))
I feel like I have been through a wringer. Sorry about sounding crabby about this being a repeat thread, but the last thread went on forever. :sorry:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Well am kind of glad it did come up. I use a few lancets but not many needles and I see I was doing it wrong. I had no idea thus the thread coming up was good for me or I would have probably never known I was doing it wrong. I only went by what I was told. I will change my habits now. Thanks all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts