The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi To All:- I have been enjoying reading all the material on the site, so decided i better join. I have been a T 1 diabetic for 63 years, in the course of that time I have been on many different Insulin's but always the same diet and xercise program. About 5 1/2 years ago switched from needles to the pump, wished that I had done it 20 years ago, luv it. I have experienced complications such as heart disease (had bypass surgery and also 7 stents over the last 12 years.) I also am just getting over Temp paralysis of the third nerve, lost control of the left eye and the lid, has taken 12 weeks to right itself, another Diabetic problem. Best advice I can give, control your diet, never miss a meal or your medication ( Insulin or pills) Here in Canada the A1C goal is 7.0 or lower, I have been able to stay at the low to mid 6. range. Still work regularly with Diabetic educators at the hospital on a regular basis. Looking forward to reading more Diabetic information .

·
Registered
556 Posts
Looking forward to reading more Diabetic information.
Hi, Sheff. The general consensus around here is that the best place to get the most reliable diabetic information is the bloodsugar101 website. Hope you will check it out. We're glad you found us, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Sure good to meet you, Sheff. You've been through a lot & learned a lot too . . . glad you finally got on the pump. I hope you'll be able to visit us often . . . take care! :wave:

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
welcome aboard Sheff!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
=Spunky;64440]

Hi, Sheff. The general consensus around here is that the best place to get the most reliable diabetic information is the bloodsugar101 website. Hope you will check it out. We're glad you found us, welcome to the forum.
Thanx for that info, will definitely give it a look.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shanny;64441

Sure good to meet you, Sheff. You've been through a lot & learned a lot too . . . glad you finally got on the pump. I hope you'll be able to visit us often . . . take care! :wave:
Thanx to you to Shanny, plan to visit often.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi Sheff, welcome! You and I have both passed the 60 year mark with our type 1. I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6. I am sorry to hear of your complications, but you are hanging in there. I hope you will keep on taking good care of yourself and using your pump. I started pumping in 2007, and also wish I had started in the 1990s.

You are eligible for the Joslin medal. The Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston gives medals to type 1 diabetics when they have completed 50 and 75 years of diabetes. I attended a meeting of medalists this year at Joslin. There were over 100 attending, and several had been through bypass surgery and stents like you.

If you are interested in getting the 50 year medal, look in the Diabetes forum at the discussion posted near the top. If you need any help applying, let me know.

Richard

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx Richard for the welcome, have read some of your posts, yes 60 years is a long time and we have certainly seen so many changes most for the better. I was 15 when diagnosed, attending high School, remember back then we did not want any one to know that we had Sugar Diabetes (the term back then) My biggest asset over the years is my wife of 54 years Mary. Interesting to hear about the Joslin Medal, not sure if it is available to Canadians, will have to find out. This will be the first winter that we will be unable to get to Florida since retiring 17 years ago, unfortunately cannot get out of the country Health Insurance anymore. We usually were able to take a couple of trips to upper N.Y, and Florida each year. Congratulations on receiving the medal, that meeting must have been great to attend.Will be in touch. Thanx

Hi Sheff, welcome! You and I have both passed the 60 year mark with our type 1. I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6. I am sorry to hear of your complications, but you are hanging in there. I hope you will keep on taking good care of yourself and using your pump. I started pumping in 2007, and also wish I had started in the 1990s.

You are eligible for the Joslin medal. The Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston gives medals to type 1 diabetics when they have completed 50 and 75 years of diabetes. I attended a meeting of medalists this year at Joslin. There were over 100 attending, and several had been through bypass surgery and stents like you.

If you are interested in getting the 50 year medal, look in the Diabetes forum at the discussion posted near the top. If you need any help applying, let me know.

Richard

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Sheff, people all over the world receive the Joslin medal. There are some Canadians that I know have the medal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts