The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the past two years I have had a job that was basic 9 to 5 but unfortunately now that is not the case. In the past few months I have moved out of my old position and stepped into a new one. With my new job, I am required to work two overnight (graveyard) shifts a week. Now this is only temporary until April 1, but I was just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this. I dont know what do to about my basal rates for the two days I am up all night, and sleeping all day as my basal rates are lower over night, then they are when Im awake. Im worried that I may go into a low if I keep everything the same. And Im not looking for a concrete solution, Im just hoping that a few of you have had experiences like this, and can share your stories with me. I look forward to your responses!

Michael

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Michael, would it possibly work on the nights you have the 'graveyard shift' if you did a "temp basal" on your pump? If you have questions on how to do this, try calling your pump trainer as she should be able to give you better advice than I can.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Michael, would it possibly work on the nights you have the 'graveyard shift' if you did a "temp basal" on your pump? If you have questions on how to do this, try calling your pump trainer as she should be able to give you better advice than I can.
Thats what im thinking too.. I just wanted to see if there was anyone out there that had worked similar shifts. Im pretty sure I am going to try a temp basal rate, or i may set up a second profile for the weeks that im working overnights! thanks for the advice !

Michael

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is not having to work those graveyard shifts for medical reasons completely out of the question ??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is not having to work those graveyard shifts for medical reasons completely out of the question ??
Well this is it. I am currently in a new job, and my position that I was hired for is not available until April 1. so for the time beiing the company I am working for is simply trying to offer me shifts in order to bring in some income. So I know I could request that I not work these shifts, but the way I look at it Ive only got the rest of February and march to stick it out, then I will be back to 9-5 monday to friday... but ill tell you, if it starts to get completely out of control i will have to do just that!

Michael

1 - 5 of 5 Posts