The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not diagnosed. I'm a 21 year old female, and I have been overweight since I was a kid. I've never really had problems until recently, over the past year, maybe a little more. I always feel dehydrated, and I have been noticing difficulty seeing in bright light or darkness. I've always had good vision. Those are the only symptoms of diabetes I have noticed. Though, it seems that the dehydration is starting to become a big issue.

At least within the last two years I have been tested and nothing came up. Now I'm wondering if it has developed since.

Am I in immediate danger? Should I go to the ER before the weekend is over, or will I be safe to wait until Monday to make an appointment? Do you know how long you had it before you were diagnosed?

Sorry, I'm being a little anxious, but I just read all this scary stuff online.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, also my limbs are quick to go numb, but that has always been a bit of a problem because I'm overweight, so I don't count it as a symptom.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I don't think you're in immediate danger but to be sure I think you should get a blood glucose meter and some test strips so you can do some tests yourself to see where you stand.

The dehydration in particular is what worries me most.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to be clear, I'm not asking if I have diabetes. I'm trying to figure out how immediately life threatening uncontrolled diabetes is I did, hypothetically, have it.

I'm scared, but don't want to over react and go to the doctors at an inconvenient time.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Just to be clear, I'm not asking if I have diabetes. I'm trying to figure out how immediately life threatening uncontrolled diabetes is I did, hypothetically, have it.

I'm scared, but don't want to over react and go to the doctors at an inconvenient time.
Depends on how uncontrolled.

If you get a meter (go to Walmart and get a Relion and some strips) and it gives you a reading of "HI" or anything over 300 mg/dl, then you probably should get immediate medical attention.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Incidentally, that 300 number is way higher than what would be considered enough for a diabetes diagnosis. I think though if you're staying below that number it can probably wait until a weekday.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Depends on how uncontrolled.

If you get a meter (go to Walmart and get a Relion and some strips) and it gives you a reading of "HI" or anything over 300 mg/dl, then you probably should get immediate medical attention.
Ok, I will do this.

I just read that gum irritation is also a symptom, and I have been having this. But I've been ignoring the dry mouth and gum irritation because I smoke, and thought it was a result of this. Plus I have very dry skin. This is all starting to look a lot more like it than before lol. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ok, I will do this.

I just read that gum irritation is also a symptom, and I have been having this. But I've been ignoring the dry mouth and gum irritation because I smoke, and thought it was a result of this. Plus I have very dry skin. This is all starting to look a lot more like it than before lol. Thanks for your response.
Let us know what the results are when you test! We can help you figure out what to do next.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Kenzeth! :welcome:

To add to the excellent advice you've gotten thus far ...

It is definitely time to go to your doc with those concerns, and ask specifically to be tested for diabetes. If you get a meter first, you can also give the doc your readings, but please do not let getting a meter delay you!

Since we have only symptoms and no numbers to go on, we can tell you that you definitely have reason for concern -- but -- we cannot tell you how concerned you should be.

Now, for Bad News/Good News ...

Bad News. Uncontrolled diabetes can cause serious, devastating and lasting damage in most unpredictable ways, and we cannot give you a time estimate.

Good News. With proper diagnosis, a good eating plan and (if necessary) meds, good control is quite achievable. Good control can make a whole host of symptoms dwindle, perhaps down to nothing.

Please keep us posted ... whether or not it turns out you're a member of Club Diabetes! :hug:

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
My experience with developing diabetes was that one year my blood tests showed normal figures. The next year they showed diabetes. It must have "come on" sometime during that year. So, from my experience, I'd say that, yes, your symptoms could have come on after your last lab test.

I'm glad you're going to get a meter and test your BG. Really, that's the best ( and only) way to determine if your symptoms come from high blood sugar.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome, Kenzeth. You may not need to panic, but yes, you should be worried. Diabetes is not a death sentence, but it is an incurable disorder which - if the patient is willing to make the necessary adjustments in lifestyle - can be controlled right down to the ground.

Your weight may indicate type 2 diabetes, but in my opinion, doctors need to test every patient for GAD autoimmune antibodies and c-peptide to make sure they aren't type 1 or type 1.5 (LADA), so if I were you, I would request these tests when you see the doctor. If he won't order them, then find a doctor who will.

I'm glad you came to us and I think we can help allay your fears as you navigate this diabetes journey. Thank you for joining us.

·
Super Moderator
9,627 Posts
Welcome Kenzeth

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Welcome! Your meter should not show sustained BG over 140. Fasting BG is often the last sign of Diabetes, so it's possible your fasting is OK but you are still spending a lot of the day in the "danger zone" for BG. Please let us know what you find out!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts