The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I'm a Type 2 currently taking 10u Lantus at bedtime, I have elevated Liver enzymes off any oral meds finding out the blood pressure med I was on is causing problems for many now Bystolic.
I also kept telling my PCP I was having the wonderful bathroom side effects of metformin passing bile like every 3 days for like a year and all the sudden in 6 month my liver enzymes are 3 times above normal.
My Fasting BG have been 101-121 well my PCP and RNP will not give me Aprida or Novalog for my 2 hour post meal BG's have been 180-228.
I have Gastroparesis so I usually drink my bottle of water and within 2 hours I'm down to 140-150 when the BG's are over 200 would it make more sense to switch to my 10u to morning? yesterday at 4:30 am I was 102 ended up drinking some milk going back to bed.
any input would be greatly appreciated:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
My situation (after meal) is similar in that the readings are higher than what I'd like to see. How much that will affect the overall average remains to be seen.
I did print my BG averages (FBG and after meal) for the doc and he had no problem with script to change to Lantus in combo with NovoLog.
Changing the time of day you take the Lantus should not :confused: impact your overall BG. Just give at least 4-5 days to evaluate the change (if any) before switching back.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I too have Gastroparesis and take Lantus. I found that I do much better taking the Lantus in the AM. Don't know what the diff is but in experimenting found I have much better control during the day if I take the Lantus in the morning instead of at night.
My morning readings are always a little high but I contribute that to the long period of time I go without eating from dinner to waking. I take Apidra as well but mostly only after breakfast. With the Gastroparesis the fast acting is just too scarey to take because I crash more often than not. As long as I watch my diet the Lantus will control me pretty well the rest of the day.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I too have Gastroparesis and take Lantus. I found that I do much better taking the Lantus in the AM. Don't know what the diff is but in experimenting found I have much better control during the day if I take the Lantus in the morning instead of at night.
My morning readings are always a little high but I contribute that to the long period of time I go without eating from dinner to waking. I take Apidra as well but mostly only after breakfast. With the Gastroparesis the fast acting is just too scarey to take because I crash more often than not. As long as I watch my diet the Lantus will control me pretty well the rest of the day.
Thanks for the info Aimster & Larry Yes If I watch the Carbs and drink my water the Lantus will give me adequate control but not everything is surgar free or no sugar added so I try to stay under 4g
trying to get in some exercise :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
have you tried levemir????? i love it!!! lantus put me all over the map. i did exp a better affect from afternoon shots as opposed to 9pm shots when i was on lantus tho

·
Banned
26 Posts
I have taken lantus since it became available in the USA...I started off taking it in the PM....it worked fairly well....I tried taking it in the AM and PM I split the dose results were about the same...Have been taking it in the AM for the past two years and have good results...the only downer is I have HYPO's between 6 and 8 PM , but you can adjust for these.....my waking BG runs from 73 to 86.....I inject 44 units daily and use humalog as a bolas before meals. I take my Lantus at 7AM..:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts