The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,I am new to this forum and new to diabetes(diagonosed about 3 months ago.)Surely like everybody else i have come to acceptance phase from denial.
as been knew i not know where i go to ask for guidance ,thanks God i come to right place at right time.
i started taking care as stop meat total,eating grain food and vegetables,doing exercise and taking 2 metformine.
My glucose increase almost every alternative day.After meal it goes to about 8or 9.
As i have no information about using Insuline so not understand what to do.Here in holland,Dutch doctors have very slow and unique way of treatment so i contacted this FORUM.
Plz,guide me what i must do to control my Sugar to about normal.Should i use more Metformine.?Do more Exercise?change my food more Drastically?OR SHOULD ,I GO TO INSULINE.PLz,GUIDE Me.Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Welcome I to am new to the forum (diabetic for 24 years)

That is what I did when I found I had diabetes in 1986 I cut down on meat and ate more pasta, and rice, vegstables... I ate Healthy or at lest what "ever body" said was a healthy diet, you know the food pyramid. I would lay awake at nights with tingly leg's and worry, worry, worry!!!

Well I found out its the wrong way to go!! All that grain was raising my BS way UP. Grains are carbohydrates, carbohydrates raise blood sugar! I was killing my self because I didn't know any better.

Carbs raise (BS) Blood Sugar, (BG) Blood Glucose
fat slows the rise of BS down
fiber slows the rise of BS down
complex carbs are a slower digesting carbs, but still carbs.

Since carbs raise BS, Diabetics count carbs.

Seek the advice of a diabetic nutritionist. Get a BG meter and test
test before a meal, test 1 hour after a meal, test 2 hours after a meal. Get to know how YOUR body reacts to certain foods

Good luck.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome to our forum, Diadietes. I'm glad you found us, and that you've gotten such good advice from Diabetes86. He found out the hard way.

If you need to go on insulin, that is not a bad thing, but there are other things you can try before you change your meds. Try to avoid commercially processed foods if you can. The biggest thing is to avoid the grains. A good rule of thumb is don't eat the "white" foods. No rice, pasta, bread or potatoes - nothing made with white flour or white sugar. No sugary drinks. Read labels carefully and avoid anything containing corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup or corn syrup solids. (one of the worst offenders is the non-dairy creamer that's marketed for our coffee . . . LOADED with corn syrup solids!)

Meat is good for your diabetes. Meat and fats both help us diabetics keep our carb count low. If you'd rather not eat red meat, then use more poultry & fish. Other excellent choices are cheese, eggs, nuts, avocados, olives . . . these make great snacks & small meals. You don't have to go hungry. Eat well, but avoid carbs. You can get your vegetables by eating complex carbs like spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, green leaf lettuce & other salad greens.

I sure thank you for joining us and please stay in touch.

take care,

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
hi,I am new to this forum and new to diabetes(diagonosed about 3 months ago.)Surely like everybody else i have come to acceptance phase from denial.
as been knew i not know where i go to ask for guidance ,thanks God i come to right place at right time.
i started taking care as stop meat total,eating grain food and vegetables,doing exercise and taking 2 metformine.
My glucose increase almost every alternative day.After meal it goes to about 8or 9.
As i have no information about using Insuline so not understand what to do.Here in holland,Dutch doctors have very slow and unique way of treatment so i contacted this FORUM.
Plz,guide me what i must do to control my Sugar to about normal.Should i use more Metformine.?Do more Exercise?change my food more Drastically?OR SHOULD ,I GO TO INSULINE.PLz,GUIDE Me.Thanks in anticipation.
Slow down dear! You are already doing some important things to lower your blood sugar. You are on Metformin and it can take some time to kick in. You are exercising, you said you have changed some things in your diet. Watch your carb intake. Shanny, has listed most of the things that most diabetics need to avoid. I try to eat some normal foods but I pay very close attention to the serving size. I am on insulin, but I started out on just pills and diet and exercise. Your body is going to let you and your doctor know if you need to be on insulin. I was doing good by taking Glucotrol XL and diet and exercise, but after 5 years my body changed and I needed to go on insulin. I still take pills as well. I am insulin resistant and need insulin. I have had to make several lifestyle adjustments when I started taking insulin. Try to stay on your diet and exercise as much as possible. After you eat, let your food digest and take a brisk walk and drink water. In time, you may see your blood sugar come down. If not, discuss this with your doctor and perhaps he will increase your medication. Hang in there and try to be patient!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts