The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

Should I See A DR?

4913 Views 11 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  joenauta
I only ask because I don't have insurance, and I don't want to go unless you all think this sounds just like you.

Anyways, I'm 24 years old, and last year my husband said something about how I am just like his boss (who has diabetes ), and i brushed it off. Fast forward to the present. I am constantly battling athletes foot, I just found a patch of skin on my back that has gone numb, I get urinary tract infections more often then I assume is normal. I am already a pretty thin person, I had to have my teeth removed 2 years ago, (my teeth, despite brushing and flossing, rotted from the inside out, they couldn't save them) and i lost a lot of weight then, I was at 135, and I am at about 115 now. I assumed it was from the oral surgery, but it's still happening, and I eat regularly. I don't have the healthiest diet, I do drink a lot of cola and sweets, which is why I figured I can't be diabetic, cause all the sugar would have killed me by now, but I was told there is more then one kind of diabetes.

So anywho, I am getting a little scared, as I start to show more and more of the symptoms. I am not usually the person to go online and look this kind of thing up, so I am a little freaked out now.

Also, I have always had cold hands and feet, almost tingly. For as long as I can remember.

Does any of this come up as alarming or crucial? Any comments welcome. Thank you.
1 - 3 of 12 Posts
Hello there, welcome to our community! Those symptoms could very well be due to diabetes. You should stop the sugar foods and food high in carbohydrates. Go to a doctor and he will probably have appropriate blood tests done to see if it is diabetes or something else. An endocrinologist is a doctor who specializes in diabetes if there is one in your area.

Are you very thirsty and drink lots of liquid? Do you pass urine very frequently? If you have those symptoms in addition to the ones you mentioned then there is a strong chance you are diabetic. Ge help soon!! Good luck!

Drinking lots of water and peeing a lot flushes much sugar out of your body. I think you should see an endocrinologist (diabetes specialist). A specialist would know that you could still be diabetic after you have described all your symptoms. He can have you take a glucose tolerance test that will determine if you are diabetic. That is the best thing for you to do now. Good luck!

Are you sure your A1c was 74? I think it must have been 7.4 which is not so bad if you are in the beginning stages of diabetes. An A1c is a blood test that determines your average blood sugar over the 2-3 month period prior to the time the blood sample was taken. A nondiabetic should have an A1c less than 6.0. If yours was 7.4 then it could indicate diabetes but you need more testing before a final diagnosis is made.
1 - 3 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.