The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bs seems to average out at about 145 even though I'm quite fanatical about carb intake. It was 133 before dinner last night. I was put on metformin 500mg two weeks ago, does it sound like it needs upping to you. I'll be seeing the nurse on Tuesday do you think it's worth mentioning?

·
Registered
206 Posts
It took 6 to 8 weeks for Metformin to really kick in. After 2 weeks my blood sugars went down but it really went down after 6 weeks.

When I see my doctor I always try to bring a graph of my blood sugars. It's not always necessary he says but I find it necessary :)

Nothing wrong with being fanatical about your health!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
500 mg of metformin is the minimal dose. When I was on that dose my bgs were higher than yours even though I was low carbing. I asked to up my dose several times until I got my bgs to a normal level. I now take 3 x 850 mg. Also timing of the metformin has helped me. I tend to be higher in the morning so I take one dose when I wake up and another around 10:30 am. I take the last right before bed.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If you're tolerating the 500mg you should definitely look at upping it. Metformin is one of the few medications that (if you tolerate it well) has no downside. Some people do experience some gastro-intestinal issues, which is why doctors often prescribe in lower levels first, then work their way up.

Also, daily exercise is one of the best things you can do. I don't know what you do for that, but low-carb, metformin and daily exercise of at least 45-60 minutes are the best things you can do for Type2 diabetes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts