The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Brief medical information. 22, m, BMI of 24.4, Terrible diet. Too much fructose without enough fiber.
--
--
I've been experiencing an occasional tingling sensation on my hands, feet, and face. My dentist recommends I be tested for diabetes because of gum recession issues. Unfortunately its much harder to find a family physician than a dentist. I would need to wait over eight months before I can see one.

Which tests determine if someone is diabetic? i.e. I would like to know specifically what test to request. I honestly would not know the names of these tests. But more importantly- should I visit a local hospital or clinic. If so, which hospital department I should see exactly? Or am I just overreacting and should wait the eight months?
Much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Eight months is a very long time to wait. If you dont mind me asking...why so long to get in to see a doctor? To check you for diabetes they are going to have to do a blood sugar....preferably fasting (meaning you havent eaten for several hours). A doctor should also check an A1C. Thats a blood test that will tell you how high your blood sugar has been over the last 3 months. If you cannot get in to see a doctor sooner than that, do you have access to a meter that allows you to test at home?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello, Durandal, and welcome. You are not overreacting. Eight months is a ridiculously long time to wait. If there are clinics available, I think you should visit one instead of waiting. Maybe since your dentist recommended testing, do you think he might consider suggesting a doctor who might be able to see you sooner? Do you live in a large metropolitan area? Do you have insurance?

onaughmae has already named the usual tests, and she is right about you needing a meter to use at home. These are available at drug stores & discount stores . . . the one I use is from Walmart and it's just as reliable as anything else, and the strips are half the price of most other brands.

Do you have any other symptoms like excessive thirst and/or frequent urination? These are common with undiagnosed diabetes. Do you know if any family members have diabetes? That's a risk factor also.

Keep us posted on what you find out - the two tests again are a fasting blood glucose and an A1c. If you decide to use a clinic, you might want to be fasting at least eight hours when you go in, just in case they draw blood right there.

take care & stay tuned,

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I went to the hospital IN 1986 and explained my symptoms. they gave me some sugar water to drink took my blood sugar reading and gave me the diagnosis.

THEN you come back hear and give us the good news ether your not diabetic or you are and can now start to control it. but you NEED to find out. NOT knowing is a sure way to make it worse and its tuff on the mind

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello. Brief medical information. 22, m, BMI of 24.4, Terrible diet. Too much fructose without enough fiber.
--
--
I've been experiencing an occasional tingling sensation on my hands, feet, and face. My dentist recommends I be tested for diabetes because of gum recession issues. Unfortunately its much harder to find a family physician than a dentist. I would need to wait over eight months before I can see one.

Which tests determine if someone is diabetic? i.e. I would like to know specifically what test to request. I honestly would not know the names of these tests. But more importantly- should I visit a local hospital or clinic. If so, which hospital department I should see exactly? Or am I just overreacting and should wait the eight months?
Much appreciated.
I would get a glucose meter right away and start testing. Test before meals, 2-4 hours after meals, at bedtime and 1st thing in the morning. If you are running really high numbers-over 300, then I would suggest you go to the hospital ER and get some help. There is a good website that may help you with some questions that you may have How to Lower Blood Sugar: Expert Diabetes Tips to Control Glucose Levels. I wouldn't wait 8 months to see a doctor. Depending on where you live, there may be a local county health clinic that you can visit. Most health clinics will see you one time and don't provide ongoing care unless you have TB and then they will track your progress due to health concerns and the spread of TB. Every local health department is different, but I know what services are available to me. Most hospital social workers can help you find a doctor or clinic regardless of your ability to pay. You just need to get on the phone and start making calls. Take care and good luck.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Good point Breeze, about the health department. I used it myself before diagnosis. I knew I'd had a slightly elevated reading on a routine blood test, but wasn't insured then & couldn't pay for another test. 'Course this is a rural area and we know some of the folks at the health department, but I didn't have any trouble going in & getting a quick finger prick reading. It may not have been the most scientific in the world - they used a meter just like we all use - but it told me what I needed to know & i contacted my doc from there.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Good point Breeze, about the health department. I used it myself before diagnosis. I knew I'd had a slightly elevated reading on a routine blood test, but wasn't insured then & couldn't pay for another test. 'Course this is a rural area and we know some of the folks at the health department, but I didn't have any trouble going in & getting a quick finger prick reading. It may not have been the most scientific in the world - they used a meter just like we all use - but it told me what I needed to know & i contacted my doc from there.
Shanny: You got lucky at the health department. At the Columbus Health Department, they tell you right up front that they do not provide ongoing care. They will give you a list of low and no cost clinics and doctors, but you are on your own in finding a clinic or doctor. When I didn't have insurance, I called at least 20 places to try and get into see a doctor and I came up with nothing. When my blood sugar was over 450, I went to the hospital ER and they helped me. I was relieved to finally get some help, but I already knew that that I had diabetes.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I didn't phrase that very well . . . all they did at the health department was take a fasting reading for me on a regular glucose meter; no followup or ongoing care - not even any paper work that I know of. They reserve one morning a week for people who need to come in for a blood check or blood pressure check etc., so that's what I did & that's all they did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts