The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't tell you how many ppl say 'what! all that fat are you crazy?'

I had this guy just say to me on another 'food' forum, Oh sure think I will have half a loaf of whole wheat bread slathered with Butter & fried eggs in chicken schmaltz.

:boink: :laser::rant: jerk....

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
UUUUGH -- his meal suggestion sounds lovely, though, except for the bread.

I would say, he is brainwashed by gov't and medical recommendations, and perhaps forever lost. Forgive him, he knows not what it is of which he speaks.
and of course, his reaction reinforces the brainwashing done to others!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know exactly what you mean.. I have a friend at work who is type 2 and she is continually bringing in donuts and muffins for the office. When I politely decline because I know what they will do to me, she's like. " Oh come on.. one or two won't hurt.. I'm diabetic too and they dont hurt me."

The last time she did this I took a deep breath, and responded that I was glad for her that things like this did not affect her, but they affect me and not in a good way so I choose not to have them.. I cant say what I really felt like saying to her..:p

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I work with manymanymany EDUCATED diabetics (and some not educated) - -and they are rarely compliant. They think I am crazy ... one is needlephobic, one says he cannot afford insulin, one just refuses all meds and diet, b/c she "does not need drugs," despite being morbidly obese.

I cringe to think how many more in my workplace are undiagnosed, too. We have a lot of obesity issues there!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
It is just the same over the pond too.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a online friend on a food forum, she has type 2. :eek: the pics of the meals she makes is off the chart for me.
this morning for breakfast she had buttermilk biscuits, fried potatoes with her eggs.
Her dinner pic was a cheese & friut tray with grapes ,apples, several types of crackers & bread. Loads of cheese & deli meats.
Most of the time she has rice or pasta .Hot dogs with a bun. mac & cheese. potatoe salad.
No way can I eat like that. oh & she said her BG this morning was 108.
I guess some folks can eat like that OR she just says she does lol

I should believe half of what folks say. :blah:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
On vacation this summer we stayed with 2 sets of relatives both with diabetics in them. They both ate a rather high carb diet and kept commenting on my "wierd" diet. My Sister in law basically told me I was going to die because I ate fat and avoided fruit. Every morning she would try to push multiiple fruits and cereal on me. It almost makes me want to stay at home. I do think all people diabetics and non diabetics are brainwashed about fat. All these people keep telling me I will get fat eating the diet I do. I respond, by saying just look at me. I am 118-120 lbs in a size 4 and thinner than I have been in 40 years. Plus for the most part my bgs are great. The only time they go wild is when I try to sneak a little carb into my diet.

Reactions: Dura

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I have a online friend on a food forum, she has type 2. :eek: the pics of the meals she makes is off the chart for me.
this morning for breakfast she had buttermilk biscuits, fried potatoes with her eggs.
Her dinner pic was a cheese & friut tray with grapes ,apples, several types of crackers & bread. Loads of cheese & deli meats.
Most of the time she has rice or pasta .Hot dogs with a bun. mac & cheese. potatoe salad.
No way can I eat like that. oh & she said her BG this morning was 108.
I guess some folks can eat like that OR she just says she does lol

I should believe half of what folks say. :blah:
I have a friend at work who says much the same to me, she is also Type 2. The most obvious difference between us is medication - I am on Metformin, she couldn't tolerate it and is on Glipizide, I believe. However, she only does a fasting test so how she can tell what her numbers are at other times is beyond me?? Diabetes is such a contrary animal though, it could be possible. All I know is that I am in better shape 8 months from dx than I have been for a fair few years. We have agreed to disagree on our approaches, lol!
:cool:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Most of the diabetics I know -- Type 1s and Type 2s alike -- do not do low-carb.

Some are compliant with ADA Guidelines and have been urged to achieve higher glucose numbers, so they're achieving their goals.

Others will not, or cannot, change their lifestyles. Finances and/or family expectations may trump health concerns ... especially for folks who have neither experienced complications, nor the improvements that come with near-normal blood glucose levels.

Makes our lives harder. But let's face it, their way is far more convenient. Cultural forces cater to it, and it's endorsed by major segments of the medical profession.

If I had not been diagnosed in the ER, and had never spiked while on continuous insulin drip ... and had not found this merry band about a week later ... I'd be right there with them, carbing it up. Anyone who walks a healthy path without a similar kick in the butt has my deepest respect!

I can't judge any of my fellow diabetics for clinging to their pre-D lifestyles. My blame is reserved for Big Pharma, Big Agro and Big Med.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
One thing is for sure, without you lovely lovely people I would not have known how to achieve the control that I now have. And I thank you for that from the bottom of my heart.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It is good we have a strong support system here to encourage people that low carb is good for diabetics. I am not sure why doctors and CDE's don't pursue this more. I think there is a belief that people won't change their lifestyle, so it is better to tell them it is ok to eat all the foods you ate before, just take some meds and or insulin. I am on a lot of forums and have seen people on all sorts of meds and even insulin with terrible bgs. I am not judging anyone but many times these people will come to the forum after many years of high bgs and unfortunately many complications. I really think doctors are doing a disservice not to encourage people to at least try low carb. For most of us within a few months we see such a difference in our enegy level, our bgs and our overall health. When I was first dx'd I had to find out about low carb on my own. At first I felt I was doing something against my CDE's advice. But as my numbers and weight fell I became confidant that this was good for me as a diabetic. I am not willing to risk complications like blindness, kidney failure, heart disease or stroke or loss of limbs.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My daughter-in-law, who is Type 2 and uses insulin, has a hard time understanding why I don't eat the same types of foods she does. She makes things like pies and homemade jam that are full sugar. It is hard enough for me to resist these delicious foods without 'offending' her or hurting her feelings. Today she brought my husband and I a Strawberry-Rhubarb pie (which used to be my favorite) and I can appreciate all the work that went into making it. I could cry (not being able to eat it), but I know what it will do for my blood sugar :(

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
It is good we have a strong support system here to encourage people that low carb is good for diabetics. I am not sure why doctors and CDE's don't pursue this more. I think there is a belief that people won't change their lifestyle, so it is better to tell them it is ok to eat all the foods you ate before, just take some meds and or insulin. I am on a lot of forums and have seen people on all sorts of meds and even insulin with terrible bgs. I am not judging anyone but many times these people will come to the forum after many years of high bgs and unfortunately many complications. I really think doctors are doing a disservice not to encourage people to at least try low carb. For most of us within a few months we see such a difference in our enegy level, our bgs and our overall health. When I was first dx'd I had to find out about low carb on my own. At first I felt I was doing something against my CDE's advice. But as my numbers and weight fell I became confidant that this was good for me as a diabetic. I am not willing to risk complications like blindness, kidney failure, heart disease or stroke or loss of limbs.
I don't think it is that at all. They are trapped by their own lies and the Lipid Myth. Although it seems like outright stupidity to warn diabetics about getting "enough" carbohydrates - and medical science knew better than that 100 (and probably even 2000) years ago, I don't think they are stupid, just misguided. Since the have swallowed the Lipid Myth hook, line and sinker, there is no other possible outcome.

Their logic works like this:

Diabetics are at higher risk for heart disease (but they don't know WHY)

Fat in the diet leads to heart disease (not true)

Therefore: it is of utmost importance that diabetics reduce their fat consumption.

OK, so what do you replace the evil fats WITH? Protein can only go so far and there are also doubts about high protein consumption. The jury is really still out on that one, but since kidney problems are also a significant risk statistically speaking for T2s, they're not about to recommend large amounts of protein.

So, they've painted themselves into the proverbial corner, and the ludicrous recommendations they give us are the inevitable and predictable result.

Until the Lipid Myth is finally and completely put to rest, it is not possible for this to change. The only way they can contemplate the level of carbs a T2 needs to eat is to accept a high-fat WOE. Most are still a long way from that. Europe - and especially Sweden - is WAY ahead of us on that front, however.

Sweden now has fully 5% of their population eating "hard-core" LC/HF and another 20% "dabbling" or eating somewhat LC/HF. Very nice and BIG sample population! A few more years and that should put the "possible long-term harm" bugaboo to its well-deserved death.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
My daughter-in-law, who is Type 2 and uses insulin, has a hard time understanding why I don't eat the same types of foods she does. She makes things like pies and homemade jam that are full sugar. It is hard enough for me to resist these delicious foods without 'offending' her or hurting her feelings. Today she brought my husband and I a Strawberry-Rhubarb pie (which used to be my favorite) and I can appreciate all the work that went into making it. I could cry (not being able to eat it), but I know what it will do for my blood sugar :(
Yes! That's the hard part for me, too. I offend people -- whether I tell them I'm diabetic, or just "on a diet," or say nothing and hope they don't look at my plate. And all the time, I wish I could eat without thinking/planning/calculating, just once (or, er, occasionally).

I've tried looking up terms like "diabetic etiquette," and mostly find excellent advice for non-diabetics -- don't join the Diet Police, etc. But it's my own manners that need work.

Reactions: Dura and Strawberry

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My DIL knows I need to lose weight just by looking at me. She uses a system for her insulin that her Endo gave her. I'm not sure what it is called but she tests her blood sugar before a meal and if it is a certain number or above then she gives herself "X" units of Humalog which is supposed to cover the meal and the correction if her BG is too high. I got into big, big trouble when I said "that approach is like applying a band-aid to a bleeding artery". That statement by me almost cost me my relationship with my son. So ... now I bite my tongue and keep my opinions to myself (which I probably should have done anyway). She doesn't understand that what she eats affects her blood sugar.

Shalynne - Is it our manners that need work or theirs? If it works for you, why should someone else argue with you? I do understand how you feel though.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
My DIL knows I need to lose weight just by looking at me. She uses a system for her insulin that her Endo gave her. I'm not sure what it is called but she tests her blood sugar before a meal and if it is a certain number or above then she gives herself "X" units of Humalog which is supposed to cover the meal and the correction if her BG is too high. I got into big, big trouble when I said "that approach is like applying a band-aid to a bleeding artery". That statement by me almost cost me my relationship with my son. So ... now I bite my tongue and keep my opinions to myself (which I probably should have done anyway). She doesn't understand that what she eats affects her blood sugar.

Shalynne - Is it our manners that need work or theirs? If it works for you, why should someone else argue with you? I do understand how you feel though.
Your DIL's system seems like a sort of hybrid between "sliding scale" and the one I now use to cover any carbs in a meal. Main difference is, I count any known carbs in the meal and take my pre-meal bolus insulin according to the carbs -- no matter what my glucose level is. If I'm already spiky-high before a meal (almost never happens), I take a corrective at the same time. Then, if all else fails, I take a corrective an hour later.

This system doesn't let me eat mounds of bread, pasta or potatoes. But it does allow me a reasonable serving of peas-n-carrots or something like that, with a bit of sauce.

As for manners -- well, I can only take responsibility for my own. I need to learn how to express myself -- and continue to eat healthy -- without looking like I'm trying to be difficult, or like I don't appreciate someone's hospitality. Haven't found the right formula(e) for that yet. So far, I've gotten only a few real arguments, and I count 'em as Their (or maybe Our Mutual) Bad. But I definitely hurt people's feelings on a regular basis -- My Bad.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
But why do people insist on taking it so personally?! At my table, you can eat it or not eat it - and if you can't eat ANY of it, please tell me & I'll fix something you CAN eat. But I'm not emotionally invested in everybody eating everything I serve.

The only time I ever got into a cooking situation where I took it personally is when a new vegetarian daughter-in-law came to visit for a few days & nobody thought to tell the cook of her lifestyle. Others knew it but didn't speak up, and finally son-in-law went to the kitchen to get her something to eat one day when there was literally nothing on the table she could eat. I felt rotten, but have never figured out why someone didn't tell me. I MIGHT have recognized it myself, except for the fact that she eats some fish & occasionally turkey. Mixed messages for sure.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
First off, I don't understand why you have to explain to anyone why you eat the way you do. It is rude on the part of the other person to comment on your dietary habits. If I choose not to eat carbs, then that is my choice. I don't explain to anyone. You should not have to either. As far as hurting or offending someone, are they not aware already that you are a diabetic? Especially in the case of a DIL or family member. They should know that a diabetic cannot eat something so sweet.
Gotta tell you all though, I made a flourless chocolate pecan torte today using pecans that I put in the foot processor and pulsed into meal and used that in place of flour. The cake was of course not like a normal cake, it was low rise and looked more like a brownie thickness. It was good however; a little different but gave you satisfaction of having a low carb sugar free treat.

Reactions: Carolina

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
it took my friends and family well over a year to finally not bug me about what/how i consume food

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
it took my friends and family well over a year to finally not bug me about what/how i consume food

May I have permission to ask you 'how' you accomplished this? At times I grow really weary of the Food Police and yet at the same time I don't want to offend people even though they are being rude by commenting on my food choices.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts