The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Also sick of scouring the web for new ones, never with much luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Look in Middle Eastern or Indian cookbooks ... the spicing increases the number of variations and you will soon find yourself enjoying cooking and eating again!

One of my most valuable lessons from 38 -- no, 39, now -- years of vegetarianism.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Not sure what you usually have - but here are some of of our favorites:

Radicchio w/ walnuts
Mashed Turnips
Turnip Casserole (sliced turnips, cream, bacon)
Cauliflower Casserole (cauliflower, onions, cheddar, cream)
Smoky Cauliflower Casserole (mashed up cauliflower, ground sausage, cream cheese, smoked swiss - very rich, but good with steak or roast chicken)
Grilled Veggies (marinated zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, onions, peppers)
Zucchini or Yellow Squash Latkes
Green Beans and Almonds (sauteed in butter)
Roasted Asparagus and Hollandaise
Baby Brussels Sprouts and Bacon

Then there's the standard raw veg & dip or salad, steamed broccoli or cauliflower...

If anything sounds good, lmk and I'll write up the recipe :)

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
If anything sounds good, lmk and I'll write up the recipe :)
What a dangerous (but generous) offer. I'll start the ball rolling by being in for 3:

Radicchio w/ walnuts

I'm imagining wilted radicchio w/ toasted walnuts?
Turnips: new to not loathing them since they showed up in the CSA box, and so far have only had raw and roasted.
Latkes? Are you kidding me? And I've got lots of CSA squash in the frig :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
What a dangerous (but generous) offer. I'll start the ball rolling by being in for 3:

Radicchio w/ walnuts

I'm imagining wilted radicchio w/ toasted walnuts?
Turnips: new to not loathing them since they showed up in the CSA box, and so far have only had raw and roasted.
Latkes? Are you kidding me? And I've got lots of CSA squash in the frig :)
Not a problem :) Gotta pull out the turnip one, but it is a long time favorite. My mom cut it out of a newspaper years ago for me.

Let me just NIX the radicchio though... I "thought" it was going to be a favorite, we just had it tonight... and it's one of the two dishes I've made in the past 12 years that I refused to eat. It was very bitter. It was wilted radicchio w/ walnuts...the walnuts were toasted/roasted first. The walnuts were fine... but the radicchio... yuck! Maybe I did something wrong?

And yeah, zucchini pancakes (as we call them) are yummy! When my garden was churning out zukes and squash, we made these every day.

Here's a paleo recipe: Vegetable Latkes | Mark's Daily Apple

But other recipes use a little bit of flour, you could always substitute something carb-friendly. A google search will give you lots of different ones that you can play around with... shredded veggies, eggs, onion, salt, pepper, flour of choice...yum!

I've used this one before: Zucchini Pancakes Recipe - Allrecipes.com

·
Registered
718 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Aha!! I had submitted it somewhere in 2003 and it was on a low carb cd collection someone sent me...how cool is that?? Sweet!!!

2lbs turnips, peeled and thinly sliced
6 ounces bacon, fried, 2 tbsp drippings reserved
2 pkts of Splenda, or other sweetener to equal 2 tsp sugar
Tabasco to taste
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
Salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs - (optional - choose a low carb substitute)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter a 1 1/2 quart casserole
dish.

Place turnips in a large saucepan with water to cover, bacon grease and
sweetener. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to moderate, simmer till
tender, about 20 minutes; remove from heat. Stir in a dash of Tabasco.

Meanwhile, combine broth and heavy cream in a medium-size saucepan,
bring to a low boil over moderate heat. Cook till slightly thickened,
about 20 minutes.

With a slotted spoon, transfer turnips to prepared casserole and crumble
bacon on top. Pour cream mixture over top. Season with salt and pepper
(I add some garlic powder too). Spread low carb bread crumbs evenly
over the top (we completely skip these) and bake till golden brown, about 30 minutes. Serve hot. Makes 6 servings.

Reactions: moon

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I disappeared 10 seconds after your recipe post yesterday and made - and ate - a batch of zucchini latkes. They were great, though I should have stopped at eating 3 vs almost the whole batch. In my defense, it was my dinner.

I friend them in garlic olive oil, added a lot of paprika (when you have Hungarian in your blood, you sprinkle paprika like angels sprinkle dust), and fried until very crisp. The last ones were a bit too burnt and off from not refreshing oil, and that saved me from eating the entire batch.

Yeah on finding the turnip recipe! Thanks. I'll make that this week.

Yesterday I bought a ton of sausages and bacon from a meat market that is famous in this part of the world. It's inland, and people travel there just for their fresh natural sausages (=huge= variety), bacon, ostrich, whatever. You drive from the coast through the hilly countryside, open orchards, nurseries, and then =bam= hit this little local country store with a huge parking area and people streaming in and out. I never went because I didn't eat sausage and bacon but ... now I do!

Reactions: Diana

·
Registered
718 Posts
I bet those sausages are yumm-o! We used to buy bacon from the butcher and it was really good. We get sausages from the Whole Foods meat case and they are really good - they make them in the store, and I'm assuming they're natural, but I should probably check to make sure. LOL

We LOVE zucchini pancakes. I like them on the crispier, more done side... and paprika is good, I don't think I've added it to my zuke cakes, but I might have to try it next time.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Moon, a question...which recipe did you use?????? I'm interested in making some and I have a couple of zucchini on hand, but need to know which you used.

Thanks,

·
Registered
298 Posts
We love zucchini pancakes too... We got our first zucchini from the garden last night

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Moon, a question...which recipe did you use?????? ,
I kept it simple with this Vegetable Latkes | Mark's Daily Apple that wdmama posted. Although I squeezed out the zucchini pretty well, it was still very moist and next time I think I'll squeeze, then salt and let drain for an hour or so, then squeeze again. Because it was so moist, I did add a bit of almond flour, and then some Hungarian hot paprika and more salt.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Also sick of scouring the web for new ones, never with much luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I'm so glad you posted this subject as I often feel the same way. My Auntie used to make these zucchini latkes years ago, but never had a recipe. She is gone now, but I'm really pleased that I found several choices here. Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I kept it simple with this Vegetable Latkes | Mark's Daily Apple that wdmama posted.
I love potato latkes, but of course that is out of the question. Last week I tried a low carb zucchini latke recipe, and had to pitch it. I'll give this one a try.

I ran across a sauerkraut soup recipe yesterday, it has ground beef in it. Sounds strange, but I think it might be good. Gonna try that in a couple of days, too, but knowing me, I'll probably tweak it a lot. I wanted something 'unusual' and you can't get much more unusual than that. :D

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Talking about Zukes, I made some Crab cakes with Zukes

Shredded 3 medium zukes, 1/2 onion, 1/2 green pepper, 2 eggs, 2 cans of crab meat, 1/4 - 1/2 lb of parmasean cheese. Salt pepper, paprika, thymne, basil.

Drop a large spoonful in hot grease (coconut oil) fry till crisp. WOnderful

Reactions: moon

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dinner was quite interesting today. I made the sauerkraut soup. After all ingredients were in, I had to doctor it up with tomato sauce, butter and hot salsa. Better, but just OK. I know Mr. Gizmo won't eat it, so I'll have to work on that myself the next 3 days. :Cry:

I also tried a new recipe for pork chops that I found on the web. Spread them with mayo, sprinkle on grated cheese and bake 400 for 15 mins. and 375 for an hour. They make great hockey pucks. How do people eat this stuff?!!! Besides being too hard, there wasn't much flavor. I poured water in the pan hoping to soften them up some before Mr. Gizmo comes in to eat.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I buy the thin pork chops. Soak them in a whipped egg, heavy cream, hot sauce, worch sauce for a couple of hours. I sometimes coat them in whole wheat flour if we have company, ( I do well with this BG wise ) or some ground up almonds, ground up pork skins, then fry in coconut oil. Season the coating with your favorites. These are like meat candy bars, can't seem to get enough of these.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I also rushed off to make the Zucchini Latkes last night. I used yellow zucchini and I added parmesan cheese (from a jar, not fresh) and fried them in bacon grease. I ate a couple plain and they were great. Then I wrapped deli ham around a couple and those were the best! They taste just like the fried zucchini slices my mom used to make. I had cold ham wrapped latkes for lunch today.. YUMMMY

1 - 20 of 28 Posts