The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, here I am. Sitting in the lounge room with the telly on and the heater flying. My stomach is churning... Urk

So I have diabetes. And a stomach bug. Together. like they arent bad enough independantly...

But I am ahead of myself. Last year I borrowed my aunt's kit to test my sugars while I was on holidays. I wasnt sure, but I was drinking a hell of a lot of water even for Brisbane in summer. 36 mmol (648 mg/dL). Not good. I monitored over the next few days but the lowest they went was 32 (576).

I finally got back to Wollongong and saw my parents GP who just handed me novorapid and lantus and told me to go forth and stab myself. At 34 I struggled for 4 months not knowing what I was aiming for, how to aim or what to do really. I used the same needle tips for weeks not knowing that I could change the tips so frequently. I wasn't even sure if I was type 1 or 2.

I bit the bullet and rang diabetes NSW who booked me in to see a diabetes educator in Wollongong and boy have things changed since! I am now in charge of my own meter, know to keep insulin in the fridge, know good numbers and not so good numbers. I am a type 1 whose pancreas is dying slowly which means that when things look stable the next day it all changes but now I know that I feel better prepared.

But not everything is rosy.

And that brings me to present day. Current levels 5.2 (93.6) but I have not been able to keep anything down for 24 hours. I read that I shouldn't NOT take my insulin. So I have been but it feels stupid because there is nothing in my system to use it on. Does anyone have any tricks of the trade for sick days? Or even some virtual company for an invalid?

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
first you are not an invalid! not here. You are considered family here.

I cant help with the current situation because I am not on meds so I will leave that for the experts here.

I am REALLY glad you took control of your situation and learned so much. There is a chance you still might have gaps in the situation and I encourage you to read the links I have in my signature and watch this video

you might find that these links and the video could fill some gaps or even have you thinking a little differently.

Hang around, grab a beer (low carb of course) and join the discussions. We are all here to help each other and each persons experience has the opportunity to help others.

you are not alone and you are not an invalid. :welcome:

·
Super Moderator
9,627 Posts
Being LADA - late onset type 1 - some call it 1.5 - can be pretty tricky as you already know. You produce insulin a while and then you don't a while, nothing is consistent for a while anyways, months or maybe even a couple of years. Not to mention being sick along with that. You probably need to test regularly to make sure you have some semblance of control, you don't want your BG to get away from you. And best to try to take in and hold down fluids, you don't want to get dehydrated. I'll let that those that know more than me advise on what they do.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Hi Swervin

Diabetes is enough to be managing, especially early on with LADA, but illness does certainly make it more difficult.

If you are on basal and bolus, which it appears you are, then certainly don't take a bolus unless you are eating. I should think you'd continue with the basal, but my knowledge about insulin is only what I have read here.

Your BG is not at a bad level. Monitor your BG and drink lots of water. Can you contact your diabetes educator to see what they recommend?

Hope you get over the stomach bug soon.

And, welcome to the forum. We're glad you're here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! You guys are amazing! I actually feel like I have made contact with people who get this! Thanks for making me feel part of a larger family!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts