The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I forgot to take my 3rd Metformin tablet after supper. Two hrs. later I measured, and to my surprise the number was 8.2 to 9.1 upon checking and rechecking- very unusual for post-prandial - usually 6. and under. I realized my mistake and took it a little later.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have found the same thing. I take 2 doses of Metformin in the morning, one when I wake up and one around 10 am. If I miss that second dose I see a huge spike in bgs at lunch time. I take the last dose right before bed. So with me it definitely works.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have found the same thing. I take 2 doses of Metformin in the morning, one when I wake up and one around 10 am. If I miss that second dose I see a huge spike in bgs at lunch time. I take the last dose right before bed. So with me it definitely works.
Hi jwags,

The strange thing is that when I was developing severe diabetes with very high numbers for a couple of months, they diabetic hospital team tried to treat me with Metformin alone -- which lowered the numbers oh so slowly, and I was put on the tread mill of walking everyday and starving. They eventually had to add the Glubutride which together made a remarkable difference. However, unlike some disputes about it, I think the Metformin has remarkable adantages:

- appetite suppressant
- lowering of blood pressure
- lowering of cholesterol
- cardiac protection
- and a good adjunct with the very powerful gluc-like drugs which would otherwise have to be increased in dose immediately.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
p.s. Sorry, i did omit a disadvantage that Metformin has with some
people: "lactic acidosis" -- pretty serious stuff. If you know much about
it please drop a note.

Tx

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I missed mine for three DAYS and never saw a difference, but since I am not sure how it works, I resumed it ASAP.

So it is interesting to me that it works that fast on some of you. I am not sure how IR I actually am ...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I missed mine for three DAYS and never saw a difference, but since I am not sure how it works, I resumed it ASAP.

So it is interesting to me that it works that fast on some of you. I am not sure how IR I actually am ...
It's curious to me too. It was a significant change in blood glucose numbers in 3 hours, and in the past Metformin took days to make a change. Possibly, there was another variable I have not taken into account. What's "IR"?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Insulin Resistance -- the inability of the body to use insulin, vs. insufficiency, the inability to produce enough.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Insulin Resistance -- the inability of the body to use insulin, vs. insufficiency, the inability to produce enough.
Maybe inability indicates a destruction of the "beta cells", while insufficiency, the death of them. I guess endocrinologists know this stuff. I suppose, as diabetics with time the beta cells die and you need more diabetes meds or even injected insulin -- but how long and does it vary from person to person? What's the average from the beginning?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts