The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm new to your forum and haven't yet been diagnosed, but I have a question about neuropathy and its relationship to blood sugar levels that I think you guys might be able to answer! I have a strong family history of both type 1 and 2 diabetes (my dad, grandmother, 2 uncles, several cousins).

I'm 29 years old and was in excellent health until recently. I'm thin, eat relatively well (though could improve certainly), don't smoke, not taking any meds other than a multivitamin and Omega 3's. For the last 4 months I've been having symptoms that haven't yet been explained. One of the more significant symptoms is polyneuropathy in my feet. It came on suddenly one day along with dizziness, nausea, shakiness, and confusion. It resolved after 2-3 hours only to happen again the next day (and on and off every day since then).

I've seen a neurologist and he said that I can't feel vibration (with a tuning fork) or sense temperature appropriately in my feet. Sometimes they feel pretty normal and other times they get ice-cold, turn purple or blue in patches, tingle, go numb, very sore big toe, etc. I also have significant burning in my legs at night (mostly the calves). I do get mild tingling in my hands from time to time, but not nearly as bad as the feet. I also get muscle pain, tingling in a patch on my back and my left cheekbone, vertigo, tremors, and trouble thinking clearly quite frequently.

I had my HgA1c and fasting BG measured. They were 6.0% and 5.9 mmol/L respectively (2 months ago). I live in Canada so I think the BG readings might be in different units than in the US. The neurologist said these were both a bit high, nothing really serious, but worth pursuing with my PCP. I went to her and she said they were totally normal - she didn't even want to do any further testing. She said anything under 7 is fine for the HgA1c. I thought that non-diabetics should be much lower though. Thoughts?

I also have mildly low iron (I'm taking supplements) and have a positive (fairly high) ANA test indicating possible autoimmune disorder though all antibodies tested for were negative. I also had elevated chromium?! B12 is normal. Thyroid is normal. I've had a normal MRI so there aren't any obvious pinched nerves and I don't have MS or neurological disease.

So... do you think that with an A1c of 6.0 I could experience nerve damage? Or is it unrelated to blood sugar? Are my results normal and fine as my PCP says or borderline as the neuro says?

I'd love to hear anything you have to offer about neuropathy and BG readings, or any other comments!

Many thanks,

Zoe

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hello, Zoe, welcome to the forum, you will find all answers here. Your conditions seems like a pre-diabetis. Neuropathy can be because of many things, pinched nerves, getting hurt in certain placles, prolonged illness, low haemoglobin levels, certain types anemia and also diabetis. Too many days of undentected diabetis or prediabetic condition may also be a cause. I am not an expert, but I have all sorts of relatives in our family have different variations in diabetis. One particular uncle has your condition,and almost cured now. I will find out wht medications he had to take and let you know...Best of luck in your efforts!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not Sure, But . . . .

. . . . I can't say that tight A1C's will prevent neuropathy, because I have tight numbers and I'm still beset with rapid progressive neuropathy.

I attended my HMO pain management group for nearly ten years, and during that time, I came across a great number of people who were victims of rapid progressive neuropathy, and to my surprise, THEY WERE NOT DIABETICS!

So, it's truly a half dozen of one, and dozen of another as to what is behind this painful, debilitating disease.

I've tried increasing my vitamin B-12, and every other number attached to a vitamin B compound, and that didn't stop the progression of the disease. I've exercised five days a week, and the disease continued to swallow me up in pain.

I've learned, over time, to accept it, and find a regimen of drugs that could help control the pain. For me, it is 600mg of Gabapettin a day, and 60mg of extended release morphine sulphate, with 15mg tablets of morphine rapid release for breakthrough pain. When those didn't help reduce the pain, I added Zolstrik (an OTC creme) that serves to trick the nerves into feeling a different sensation, relieving the pain sensation, they were trying to convince my brain, I was feeling.

You can't stop neuropathy once it begins, but you can find prescriptions, and other OTC treatments that will help you cope.

BTW, my pain is finally subsiding, and I'm now down to one 30mg Morphine a day, and maybe a 15mg morphine every few days. Maybe the day will come when my feet are so numb that I no longer have any pain, and I can sign off the drugs.

Good luck. I know what you are going through.

Pastor Paul

·
Registered
930 Posts
What you are describing is PAD ( Peripheral Arterial Disease ), your neuropathy is a secondary symptom.

·
Registered
930 Posts
If it came on very suddenly then it may be being caused by a blood clot

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hello!

I'm new to your forum and haven't yet been diagnosed, but I have a question about neuropathy and its relationship to blood sugar levels that I think you guys might be able to answer! I have a strong family history of both type 1 and 2 diabetes (my dad, grandmother, 2 uncles, several cousins).

I'm 29 years old and was in excellent health until recently. I'm thin, eat relatively well (though could improve certainly), don't smoke, not taking any meds other than a multivitamin and Omega 3's. For the last 4 months I've been having symptoms that haven't yet been explained. One of the more significant symptoms is polyneuropathy in my feet. It came on suddenly one day along with dizziness, nausea, shakiness, and confusion. It resolved after 2-3 hours only to happen again the next day (and on and off every day since then).

I've seen a neurologist and he said that I can't feel vibration (with a tuning fork) or sense temperature appropriately in my feet. Sometimes they feel pretty normal and other times they get ice-cold, turn purple or blue in patches, tingle, go numb, very sore big toe, etc. I also have significant burning in my legs at night (mostly the calves). I do get mild tingling in my hands from time to time, but not nearly as bad as the feet. I also get muscle pain, tingling in a patch on my back and my left cheekbone, vertigo, tremors, and trouble thinking clearly quite frequently.

I had my HgA1c and fasting BG measured. They were 6.0% and 5.9 mmol/L respectively (2 months ago). I live in Canada so I think the BG readings might be in different units than in the US. The neurologist said these were both a bit high, nothing really serious, but worth pursuing with my PCP. I went to her and she said they were totally normal - she didn't even want to do any further testing. She said anything under 7 is fine for the HgA1c. I thought that non-diabetics should be much lower though. Thoughts?

I also have mildly low iron (I'm taking supplements) and have a positive (fairly high) ANA test indicating possible autoimmune disorder though all antibodies tested for were negative. I also had elevated chromium?! B12 is normal. Thyroid is normal. I've had a normal MRI so there aren't any obvious pinched nerves and I don't have MS or neurological disease.

So... do you think that with an A1c of 6.0 I could experience nerve damage? Or is it unrelated to blood sugar? Are my results normal and fine as my PCP says or borderline as the neuro says?

I'd love to hear anything you have to offer about neuropathy and BG readings, or any other comments!

Many thanks,

Zoe
Hello Zoe,
Well ou have several things going on. Your A1C is a BG of around 140 or above. The thing is neuropathy can be caused not only by diabetes but other things. The fact that your feet turn purple and or blue when cold suggest a condition called Raynaud's syndrome.
Raynaud's can stand alone but it can accompany other diseases or conditions.
The other symptoms that you are having bother me and not just the numbness and tingling. Have you had test for PAD or peripheral arterial disease. I definitely would get that done ASAP. Especially with the confusion you need to rule that out. Your fasting blood sugar of 5.9 = 106. You multiply the 5.9 by 18 to convert from mmol to mg/dl. You also need to ask for an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test. The reason I am saying this is your fasting suggests you have pre-diabetes. You need to rule diabetes out with more than just a fasting BG and an a1c.
By the way, welcome to this site and forum.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Zoe!

I have neuropathy which I can feel as the pins and needles and burning you describe. I take Nuerontin which helps me immensely. I would have have a hard time living with my feet if I did not take it.
Mine is not from diabetes but from MS.
There are tests which you can take to see what is going on especially if it is causing pain.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My right leg is numb always. What can I do about it?

I'm new to forums. Please excuse me if I interrupted your main concern.
Have you seen your Doctor about this problem? Also, can you tell us a little about you and your diabetes management.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Introduction
I'm a Type 2 and was diagnosed in 1987.

Diabetes complications have set in.
1. High blood pressure - drugs Coversyl 10mg, Norvasc 5mg, Lipitor
5mg
2. Chronic Kidney Disease diagnosed Oct 2009 - GFR - 50%
Drugs - Ketosteril 600 mg Ketoanalogues, Moriamin Forte
(Multivitamin and Amino Acids), Vessel Due F 250 LSU Sulodexide
3. Fatty Liver - Sily Marine Plus Vitamin B Complex
4. Humulin 70/30 - 24 a.m. / 22 p.m.

Aside from the above, I have prostate growth. I've also been in bed for 10days now due to Spinal Stenosis.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts