The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In my rush home from long day at work and not wanting to cook and get some food quick I made a sudden decision to grab take-away. I grabbed KFC chicken fillet and chips... bad move. I dropped to 3.9 within 1.5 hours. Currently still having this stupid hypo actually. Potatoes of any kind seem to give me hypos for some reason... protein with it still doesn't seem to work. I normally wouldn't eat KFC and can't remember the last time I had it. I even gave myself less insulin thinking that may stop any possible hypo... still didn't work. I should just give up completely on vegetable carbs I think... stick to the wholegrains which I know work. Obviously any fat in it wasn't enough either. But when in a rush and very tired, you don't ever seem to think straight. Has anyone else got any silly moments or decisions they'd like to share re: diabetes? lol I like hearing others are human too.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
I hear you on the take out food.

Back in september, i was in a bind and needed food and made the choice of going to Arby's. I even threw out the bun and only ate e roast beef. Still made me sick to my stomach.

Needless to say, I've not had any of that crap since then, and would rather skip eating then intake that crap lol

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Back in september, i was in a bind and needed food and made the choice of going to Arby's. I even threw out the bun and only ate e roast beef. Still made me sick to my stomach.
Ugh! Sorry to hear that about Arby's! I pile on enough horseradish, I'd never know! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear you on the take out food.

Needless to say, I've not had any of that crap since then, and would rather skip eating then intake that crap lol
Yeah usually the only take-away I tend to eat is subway... we don't have a lot of choice here like you guys do.
Today was interesting coz I'm sure my blood pressure went through the roof after a heated phone conversation I had with interstate colleague... I tested my BGLs in a rush as I had to run (literally) to another meeting and I was pushing it... was sitting on 12... arrrghhh.... that's 4 hours without food... so it would've been the stress that did it I'd say. What was funny was I was sitting in the meeting room addressing people and then I realised I had blood all over my fingers (again must've been the damn blood pressure).... I was a bit embarrassed and was hoping noone was going to pass out at sight of blood on me.... now that's a silly moment. lol.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yeah usually the only take-away I tend to eat is subway... we don't have a lot of choice here like you guys do.
Today was interesting coz I'm sure my blood pressure went through the roof after a heated phone conversation I had with interstate colleague... I tested my BGLs in a rush as I had to run (literally) to another meeting and I was pushing it... was sitting on 12... arrrghhh.... that's 4 hours without food... so it would've been the stress that did it I'd say. What was funny was I was sitting in the meeting room addressing people and then I realised I had blood all over my fingers (again must've been the damn blood pressure).... I was a bit embarrassed and was hoping noone was going to pass out at sight of blood on me.... now that's a silly moment. lol.
Consider yourselves out there in Oz LUCKY to not have the choices that we have here. The more choices of crap food we have here equals more people getting dx'd every day! If we took away a lot of these choices, maybe then people would choose eating healthy instead.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Consider yourselves out there in Oz LUCKY to not have the choices that we have here. The more choices of crap food we have here equals more people getting dx'd every day! If we took away a lot of these choices, maybe then people would choose eating healthy instead.
yes, have to be grateful for that :D Last time I went to USA was in 1996 and I was gobsmacked at the amount of fast food places you guys had. You even had drive through japanese (yokohama bowl). And your pizzas were covered with lots of meat and cheese (here at the time it was more vegies and less meat and cheese... now they have become more like America here with the pizza in the fast food pizza places that I've seen). We have probably got at the most 10-15 choices or so covering everything take-away (that's across the country that I'm thinking of). The thing I do find annoying about our cities is that fast food chains are popping up everywhere and there's not that many places selling healthy take-away food options at all.... just subway, pure & natural, and sumo salad (and I found out sumo salad not so great as loaded with salt and fat). The only take-way healthy take-away franchise is subway that you can easily access, the others are only found in big shopping complexes that are closed at night and Sundays mostly. Subway is out in the suburbs a lot more. Mind you here people love their cafes and there are cafes popping up everywhere too... so they do have various types of food.... but more expensive of course. Personally I love Dome here (franchise cafe) because I like taste of their coffee... we're only state in the country with this franchise and people tend to love them when they visit us too.

·
Registered
609 Posts
yes, have to be grateful for that :D Last time I went to USA was in 1996 and I was gobsmacked at the amount of fast food places you guys had. You even had drive through japanese (yokohama bowl). And your pizzas were covered with lots of meat and cheese (here at the time it was more vegies and less meat and cheese... now they have become more like America here with the pizza in the fast food pizza places that I've seen). We have probably got at the most 10-15 choices or so covering everything take-away (that's across the country that I'm thinking of). The thing I do find annoying about our cities is that fast food chains are popping up everywhere and there's not that many places selling healthy take-away food options at all.... just subway, pure & natural, and sumo salad (and I found out sumo salad not so great as loaded with salt and fat). The only take-way healthy take-away franchise is subway that you can easily access, the others are only found in big shopping complexes that are closed at night and Sundays mostly. Subway is out in the suburbs a lot more. Mind you here people love their cafes and there are cafes popping up everywhere too... so they do have various types of food.... but more expensive of course. Personally I love Dome here (franchise cafe) because I like taste of their coffee... we're only state in the country with this franchise and people tend to love them when they visit us too.
I'd love to live in Australia, seems so nice. Of course, I'm going on 'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert' :p

The sad thing is that so many cultures - formerly healthy cultures - are no longer healthy and seeing more cases of diabetes - why? Because the US has invaded their nations under the guise of capitalism and getting other nations addicted to our carb-heavy diet. It's really sad. It won't be long till a third of the world has Type 2 D. :mad:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'd love to live in Australia, seems so nice. Of course, I'm going on 'Priscilla, Queen of the Desert' :p

The sad thing is that so many cultures - formerly healthy cultures - are no longer healthy and seeing more cases of diabetes - why? Because the US has invaded their nations under the guise of capitalism and getting other nations addicted to our carb-heavy diet. It's really sad. It won't be long till a third of the world has Type 2 D. :mad:

Well we're a big country like USA and vast differences across the states. Where I live we're currently in a drought and it's looking very dry and brown when it's usually lush green. Most people here try and live near the coast, our beaches are pretty good. The other side of the country is opposite, they've had too much rain and are lush green.
yeah very true actually about USA style food.... would you believe we didn't have things like oreos, doritos, etc. when I went to USA in 1996... a year later they arrived here... then came dr pepper, cheerios, etc. I even remember eating a burger at McDonalds and it followed me back here. We seem to have become a lot more like USA in past 15 years I reckon. I'm not that old and I remember our cuisine was mainly our meat and vege most nights (very english style). We love our BBQs over here... that is still very common. We still did have unhealthy foods though in my book (cornflakes cereal, tim tam choc biscuits, etc), but now we seem to have unhealthy foods from all over the world on our shelves. I think it's the fast paced society and global marketing that has perhaps done this? We are very much into convenience foods and anything else these days. Funny thing is my city is considered to be 'backwards' as our shopping hours aren't 24/7... and people that migrate here complain the most about it from what I can tell... this is my birth place and I'm used to it... but I can see the benefit of having a bit extra time for shopping when people work so much. Here there's a big push to encourage people to do their own cooking again and cooking shows like Masterchef have been very popular.... a good thing providing they're cooking healthy I guess.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well we're a big country like USA and vast differences across the states. Where I live we're currently in a drought and it's looking very dry and brown when it's usually lush green. Most people here try and live near the coast, our beaches are pretty good. The other side of the country is opposite, they've had too much rain and are lush green.
yeah very true actually about USA style food.... would you believe we didn't have things like oreos, doritos, etc. when I went to USA in 1996... a year later they arrived here... then came dr pepper, cheerios, etc. I even remember eating a burger at McDonalds and it followed me back here. We seem to have become a lot more like USA in past 15 years I reckon. I'm not that old and I remember our cuisine was mainly our meat and vege most nights (very english style). We love our BBQs over here... that is still very common. We still did have unhealthy foods though in my book (cornflakes cereal, tim tam choc biscuits, etc), but now we seem to have unhealthy foods from all over the world on our shelves. I think it's the fast paced society and global marketing that has perhaps done this? We are very much into convenience foods and anything else these days. Funny thing is my city is considered to be 'backwards' as our shopping hours aren't 24/7... and people that migrate here complain the most about it from what I can tell... this is my birth place and I'm used to it... but I can see the benefit of having a bit extra time for shopping when people work so much. Here there's a big push to encourage people to do their own cooking and cooking shows like Masterchef have been very popular.... a good thing providing they're cooking healthy I guess.
I hate to say it, but I think getting diabetes is probably the only way for people (who are serious about their health) to make the right choices when it comes to food. It's sad that it has to come down to that, though for it to happen.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hate to say it, but I think getting diabetes is probably the only way for people (who are serious about their health) to make the right choices when it comes to food. It's sad that it has to come down to that, though for it to happen.
yes that's true... it's sad though.
I'll share something funny (well annoying actually). I went to an seminar for work today and I had to put forward my dietary requirements beforehand. I need to eat carbs, but I eat low GI to keep my BGLs stable. Lunch time came around and I couldn't find any low GI carb at all from the food offered. I was considering running out and buying my own lunch... but my colleagues with me encouraged me to ask the chef there to cook for me. I felt aweful having to ask... so the staff got the chef and he came to see me and I explained I need low GI carb of some sort with my food... he went and cooked me a vegetarian pasta dish which was really nice and it wasn't too much pasta either which was great. Pasta for me is one of my safe options for carbs. The organisers sent 2 invitations to me and lost the first one with the answer to dietary requirements... so they left my name off their list for that.... I got an apology. But having this damn disease can make life embarrassing or awkward at times.

·
Registered
609 Posts
yes that's true... it's sad though.
I'll share something funny (well annoying actually). I went to an seminar for work today and I had to put forward my dietary requirements beforehand. I need to eat carbs, but I eat low GI to keep my BGLs stable. Lunch time came around and I couldn't find any low GI carb at all from the food offered. I was considering running out and buying my own lunch... but my colleagues with me encouraged me to ask the chef there to cook for me. I felt aweful having to ask... so the staff got the chef and he came to see me and I explained I need low GI carb of some sort with my food... he went and cooked me a vegetarian pasta dish which was really nice and it wasn't too much pasta either which was great. Pasta for me is one of my safe options for carbs. The organisers sent 2 invitations to me and lost the first one with the answer to dietary requirements... so they left my name off their list for that.... I got an apology. But having this damn disease can make life embarrassing or awkward at times.
I always pack my own lunch and I won't eat in restaurants and if I have to go to someone's home for dinner I'll have to bring my own food. I don't think it would be fair for me to instruct others on how to prepare my food. I haven't tried experimenting yet with different foods other than the few I have limited myself to. Maybe someday when I stop being paranoid about it. I felt a tingle in my foot yesterday and while it may have been something related to something else and not diabetes, it's enough to keep me on track! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts