1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
Type 2
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
keto-meals.jpg

Breakfast

I am not a big breakfast eater. I am usually just not hungry in the morning, so I usually start my day with KETO coffee. (I do like breakfast for lunch though.)
Lunch
Dinner
Snacks

Over time, after you have lived a KETO lifestyle for a while, you will likely notice that you aren't very hungry so will find yourself snacking less. If you do decide to snack, stick with KETO friendly choices and be aware or portion servings. A handful of low carb nuts, celery with almond butter (check the ingredients) or maybe just some cheese & olives, or pork rinds will get you by until your next meal.

What does a "real life" day look like on an average day for me?

The truth is, I honestly am way too lazy to cook many actual recipes. I tend to just put some "real food" ingredients together depending on what I am craving. Very basic. Very simple. Quick & Easy.

Breakfast: Keto Coffee​
Lunch: Premade cobb salad from Walmart. I throw away the dressing and use Marie's Chunky Blue Cheese. I usually slice up a couple of extra boiled eggs to add along with either green or black olives. My eyes are usually bigger than my tummy so I tend to eat about half of it. Every now and then I make bacon and eggs instead.​
Dinner: Just about any meat. I am not a big chicken or turkey eater, so I tend to choose beef or pork and add a side of above the ground veggies. Currently, I seem to be addicted to grass-fed sirloin burger patties with bacon and pepper jack cheese.​

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think it is pretty darned tasty. It should serve well on a bed of lettuce or spinach.
Do you eat spinach? May I ask how many mg of warfarin you take? To me, spinach is a big no no, because of excessive amounts of K1. My INR usually runs from 2.0 to 3.0 with 15-16 mg warfarin and 120-121 mcg K1 a day. I use a food database from USDA and a digital scale and weigh every ingredient that contains K1.
I tried a smallish steak on a bed of creamed spinach and an egg sunny side up (so it was really not a lot of spinach), and a day later my INR went down to 1.8.

I used to eat Iceberg lettuce because it contains a small amount of K1, so it's it's easy to control K1 intake, but then I switched to Romaine lettuce for a week, and my INR jumped up to 4.6 ! There were no new foods in my menu except the romaine, so I suspect USDA food database isn't as precise for all ingredients, or perhaps this was a different sort of romaine lettuce? I don't know.

Spinach, chards, collards, kale, red or white cabbage, radicchio, broccoli and similar are gone from my plate. Occasionally I may have up to 180 g (6.35 oz) of savoy cabbage a day which contain the maximum amount of K1 I ingest in 24 hours for 15-16 miligrams of warfarin.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Do you eat spinach? May I ask how many mg of warfarin you take? To me, spinach is a big no no, because of excessive amounts of K1. My INR usually runs from 2.0 to 3.0 with 15-16 mg warfarin and 120-121 mcg K1 a day. I use a food database from USDA and a digital scale and weigh every ingredient that contains K1.
I tried a smallish steak on a bed of creamed spinach and an egg sunny side up (so it was really not a lot of spinach), and a day later my INR went down to 1.8.

I used to eat Iceberg lettuce because it contains a small amount of K1, so it's it's easy to control K1 intake, but then I switched to Romaine lettuce for a week, and my INR jumped up to 4.6 ! There were no new foods in my menu except the romaine, so I suspect USDA food database isn't as precise for all ingredients, or perhaps this was a different sort of romaine lettuce? I don't know.

Spinach, chards, collards, kale, red or white cabbage, radicchio, broccoli and similar are gone from my plate. Occasionally I may have up to 180 g (6.35 oz) of savoy cabbage a day which contain the maximum amount of K1 I ingest in 24 hours for 15-16 miligrams of warfarin.
You are making my mouth water by mentioning the foods that I have stayed away from. LOL

You are correct. I don't eat spinach. I alternate from 2 and 3 pills to create a 12.5mg average of warfarin. This seems to keep my INR between 2.0 and 3.0 with my keto choices and even when I'm fasting.

sadly, spinach is off my list, but I try to get a regular serving of salad that I create from onion, carrots, radishes, mushrooms, bell peppers, and celery. I try to avoid vitamin K so my intake is similar to my fasting. My doctor tells me that Vitamin K is healthy, so maybe I'll look at increasing it then adjusting my warfarin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts