The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Bit about myself. I am 34 years old and have been a diabetic since I was 2 years old. I am quite grateful to be honest, that I didn't get it when I was older because I have not known anything other than taking injections! I have 3 children but luckily they are all ok. Only the woman can pass it on I believe. I have always been in pretty good condition apart from a few mishaps when I was first old enough to drink. I have suffered with nerve damage in my legs. That was pretty nasty and I have now got problems with my eyes. I have received approx 8 lots of laser and had 1 op. am now partially sighted but coping well. I hope to explain more in future posts.
Simon

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Simon, I am pleased that you have joined us. I know a lady on Facebook who has four children, and three of them are type 1. There is no diabetes among her relatives, but her husband and several of his relatives are type 1. If type 1 occurs due to genetics, it can come through either parent's bloodline. Most type 1 diabetes is not genetic. There is no type 1 among any of my relatives. I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6. My diabetes resulted from too many childhood illnesses back in the days when there no vaccines. After chickenpox and mumps I started showing all the classic symptoms of diabetes. Illnesses that weaken the body and damage the pancreas is a very common cause of type 1. Approximately 70% of type 1 diabetics in the US do not have any relatives with type 1. Type 2 is much more likely than type 1 to be due to genetics. I have now been type 1 for 65 years and am very healthy.

Simon, if you get your blood sugar under good control, you may find that your complications can be reversed. If not, then the complications will probably slow down and stop progressing. Good control is the way to help complications, and prevent additional ones. I had mild neuropathy and retinopathy in early 2007 but all my symptoms disappeared after a few months of using an insulin pump. The improved control provided by pumping was the key to my success.

How is your control Simon? What is your A1c? Please ask any questions that you may have.

Richard

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Simon. Welcome to the Forum.

I'm the opposite of you - I was diagnosed about a month shy of my 53rd birthday. It was quite a shock! I can't say I'm in love with the whole process, but other than a bunch of fingersticks and shots each day, life is good. Sometimes it crosses my mind that at least I had 53 years without all the hubbub, and I'm really glad I didn't have to deal with it in my wild and wooly early-to-mid-twenties :party:

Jen

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome to the forum! There was no history of diabetes in my family either but I was diagnosed about 6 months after I turned 21. Good luck and I hope you come back often.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Simon, I am pleased that you have joined us. I know a lady on Facebook who has four children, and three of them are type 1. There is no diabetes among her relatives, but her husband and several of his relatives are type 1. If type 1 occurs due to genetics, it can come through either parent's bloodline. Most type 1 diabetes is not genetic. There is no type 1 among any of my relatives. I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6. My diabetes resulted from too many childhood illnesses back in the days when there no vaccines. After chickenpox and mumps I started showing all the classic symptoms of diabetes. Illnesses that weaken the body and damage the pancreas is a very common cause of type 1. Approximately 70% of type 1 diabetics in the US do not have any relatives with type 1. Type 2 is much more likely than type 1 to be due to genetics. I have now been type 1 for 65 years and am very healthy.

Simon, if you get your blood sugar under good control, you may find that your complications can be reversed. If not, then the complications will probably slow down and stop progressing. Good control is the way to help complications, and prevent additional ones. I had mild neuropathy and retinopathy in early 2007 but all my symptoms disappeared after a few months of using an insulin pump. The improved control provided by pumping was the key to my success.

How is your control Simon? What is your A1c? Please ask any questions that you may have.

Richard
Hi Richard
Thankyou for te feedback. You seem like the god of diabetes!! My AC1 last time was 6.8. The nerve damage has gone. The hospital believe that the eye issues could have started following a bike accident. I have ben looking into the insulin pump but am unsure about haveing something always attached. How do you find it. Thanks for the info. I am also the only person in my entire family with any form of diabetes.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Simon, the pump has given me the best control I have ever had. Not many highs and lows now and my A1c's are always below 6.0. It is nice to be able to use variable basal rates throughout the day. That eliminates high fasting numbers and gives an overall narrow range. I had no problem getting used to wearing it. There are pumping discussions here that you can read.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi simon nice to meet you ive had diabetes along time as well and mine was passed to me from my father, sorry to hear about your eyes i to have gone through lots of lazor and had one pretty severe surgery but ok now and leagally blind in the side vision but doing much better..hope things go well for you and nice meeting you

deb

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Deb,

Thanks for the reply. How do you cope being partially sighted. I have just got used to not driving but I still wont use my monicle in public. Don't know why but I am very self concious of it! Strange as I would quite happily go out wearing my decorating clothes!!!!

O

·
0 Posts
welcome Simon :) I'm type 2 on insulin. I was diagnosed when I was 25yo. I've only been on insulin though since Feb2010. A lot of ladies in my family have diabetes. I didn't really know much about my father or his family, but I do understand his mother was diabetic and my mother is also diabetic (but late onset type 2), so both my parents obviously passed it to me I think. Hopefully you can see some improvement to your sight and the pain in your legs. I'm sure you'll find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted with how you're doing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts