The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 05/22/11 I had my sister take me to the ER. I thought if I laid down I would die. I had a blood sugar of 729! Needless to say my life has changed dramatically in the last couple of weeks. With a lot of help of family, friends,and my doctor I've got my bloodsugar down to an average between 90 and 135. I've got much to learn. I feel lucky to find this formn, because I'm going to need all the help I can get.

narrad33

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome, Nerrad! :welcome:

What a close call! Your instincts served you well. I am delighted to know your numbers have improved so quickly, and very glad you found us.

You will find an abundance of info and lots of support here.

I suspect you will have much wisdom to share with us as well!

Please come often!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome, Nerrad! :welcome:

What a close call! Your instincts served you well. I am delighted to know your numbers have improved so quickly, and very glad you found us.

You will find an abundance of info and lots of support here.

I suspect you will have much wisdom to share with us as well!

Please come often!
Thanks,
Shalynne
lt'$ a comfort to know I have a place to go for information and support.

nerrad33
_

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Wow - congratulations on your progress! That's fantastic.

I assume you were diagnosed at the ER, not that you knew you had diabetes and it got that out of control - right?

That's a wonderful turnaround in a very short period of time. Feels good to grab the reins and start controlling the monster, eh?

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Nerrad - very glad you joined us. You've made incredible progress in 2½ weeks. What treatment has your doctor prescribed & has he tested you for type? We'll enjoy hearing from you, so I hope you can visit here often.

Take care!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
With the good control you are now having, you have a great chance of leading a long healthy life. I have been a diabetic for 65 years, and am very healthy. Good luck to you in the months ahead!

Richard

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi nerrad. You're like me! I hit the ER (OK - DH carried me into the ER) with BG of 750 and and A1C of 15.5. I exited the hospital 3 days later with my shiney brand new T1 diagnosis, a meter and a bunch of strips, and a new lifelong friend called insulin.

Glad you've joined in. Let us know how you're doing.

Jen

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You are really lucky that your sister drove you to the ER. You have made great progress. I assume you are on insulin. This is a great place for support. Again welcome.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome, nerrad. This is a neat, friendly group of knowledgeable diabetics who will help and share and answer any questions you have. Just tell us more about yourself and join us here on the front porch.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm a type 2. Did I know I was a diabetic? I knew something was terribly wrong and tried to convince myself it would go away. Diabetes was one of the conditions that was causing my problems. I did not want to believe it. I had been making some pretty poor health choices and it came to a crisis point.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes. I'm on lantus at night and 10mg of glipizide ER in the morning. I was on 20 units at first znd now I've been refused to 10 units.

I have five sisters all mace been nurses at one time or another. The two that live in the town I live in have taken over my diet from the beginning, this a big help.

The one thing that conserns me is my eyes. My eye doctor says my blurted vision will go away, but its hard to understand that when its happening.

nerrad33

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Insulin's a Good Thing for us ER-babies!

You won't hear much about the blurry vision thing, but it's normal. It plain happens when blood glucose levels are out of whack, and it may continue as your levels start to normalize -- the blood vessels in the eyes take time to adjust.

Mine has improved mightily, but I still get the blurries when my blood glucose levels fluctuate.

You will also want to get checked out, as a matter of course, for potential diabetes complications such as retinopathy and glaucoma. But the blurriness is a separate, transient issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did go to the eye doctor last week. He didn't find anything. I have another appointmment on the 26th and he believes there will be improvement by then.

nerrad33

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
My eye doctor says my blurted vision will go away, but its hard to understand that when its happening.
My eyes got worse before they got better. It took about 2 months for them to pretty well stabilize, so don't be concerned if your vision changes are erratic - you'll be fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
HI nerrad...

great to meet you :)

Well done on bringing things under control so quickly! What a legend!!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome aboard.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts