The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I've had two meals (dinner last night and today's lunch) which have been pretty heavy. Fortunately BGs have remained at 105 after the meals but I think I have overshot the max calorie intake I should be having

I would like to skip dinner tonight. My question is whether I should take my medicine at night or not ?

I have the Galvus met 50/500 which has 500 mg of Metformin and 50 mg of Vildagliptin which I think stimulates insulin secretion.

Should I be taking my medicines if I am skipping meals ?

Tony

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It sounds like that drug is a combo of Metformin and Januvia, is that right. The Metformin part shouldn't be a problem but the Januvia part may be if you are not eating.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep the last time I went to the pharmacy they did not have the combo drug. So they gave me the metformin and vildagliptin as two seperately. So I can take one and skip the other.

The vildagliptin is called onglyza and i read on bs101 that it stimulates insulin secretion.

Its 6 pm and i am at 96 now.

Maybe i'll just exercise for 2 hours instead of one and eat something. The onlyvthing is that i am feeling stuffed

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem partly resolved....

I had send a report of my BGs (and weight) over the last 60 days to my doctor yesterday evening.

He just called me a few hours back and suggested I stop the Vildagliptin. Going forward I am going to be on Metformin 500 mg twice a day !! woohoo !!!

:D :D :D

Going to skip the vildagliptin tonight, fingers crossed for tomorrow morning's number !

Reactions: Shanny and moon

·
Registered
497 Posts
Tony,

You have to eat, don't starve yourself, eat man, eat! Don't be so concerned about your calorie intake, a few more will not hurt you. Why risk that? You're diabetic, you are still allowed to eat. What will happen if you go over caories by 300? Are you gonig to spontaneusly combust?

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Congrats on being able to get off Vildagliptin. I know I was thrilled to drop the glipizide. Since you are just taking 1000 mg metformin, you have room to increase there if it turns out you need to.

Good luck - and yes, eat! Just not carbs :)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Tony,

You have to eat, don't starve yourself, eat man, eat! Don't be so concerned about your calorie intake, a few more will not hurt you. Why risk that? You're diabetic, you are still allowed to eat. What will happen if you go over caories by 300? Are you gonig to spontaneusly combust?
Hey Im not someone who would starve. I was so full after lunch, i think i had over 1500 calories for lunch alone. I hogged on the chicken tandori, chicken kababs, seekh kababs, fish tikka... yum yum yum

:) :) :)

I rarely ever skip a meal. Just as a one time I wanted to balance out

oh by the way the above dishes are great indian low carb options if you are ever thing about getting indian :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
I love tandori and I used to love samosa's too. The city I grew up in, in Canada, has a huge Indian population.

Reactions: tony0611

·
Registered
497 Posts
Oh and Tony, my best man at my wedding is from India, his last name is Kapoor. Kapoor of the famous Kapoor's. His Dad's brother is Shashi Kapoor. I may have spelt that wrong.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh and Tony, my best man at my wedding is from India, his last name is Kapoor. Kapoor of the famous Kapoor's. His Dad's brother is Shashi Kapoor. I may have spelt that wrong.
You got the name right. The Kapoors are very famous here, I guess you would be getting your regular dose of hindi cinema, indian food and cricket !!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts