The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever took a sleep aid to help them sleep? Lately I can't sleep, it took me 3 1/2 hours to fall asleep last night. It's starting to get to me.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about an over the counter?

Rarely because they are addictive?

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
The OTC are primarily benedryl which works for most people, but lasts nearly 24 hrs on me. So, I use the others when I'm really out of whack and yes, because they can be addictive. But, usually after one or two nights of either, I fall into a rhythm that makes me sleepy at the proper hour.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have used a OTC for a couple days now but I don't want to get into habit. last night I tried without it and I couldn't fall asleep, so I took one at 130am and fell asleep. I hear Tylenol Simply sleep is not habit forming.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Some people use melatonin. I tried it years ago and it didn't work for me, but my sleep disorder is significant enough that I have to take prescription medication. Melatonin is fairly benign.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have a funny story. My husband was suffering from insomnia and for awhile he took tylenol pm but that kept in groggy in the morning so I suggested that he try melatonin which the doctor had recommended for my son at one time. I told him it was in our medicine cabinent. Earlier in the day I had set out Sambucus by the sink. It is an herbal immune syrup made from elderberry. It is supposed to reduce symptoms of a cold by ramping up your immune system. A friend gave me it to try last year when I was quite sick. It had fallen out of the medicine cabinent earlier in the day and I just left it sitting by the sink. So around midnight my husband gets up and I am half asleep and he has something in his hand and asked, is this the melatonin...I said yes...I couldn't even see without my glasses. The next morning he said, that melatonin worked really good. I haven't slept that good in ages but could you put a spoon on the sink so I don't have to drink it out of the cap? At that point I realized he never did take the melatonin but rather the Sambacus. Now he is taking it almost every night and sleeping better than ever!

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is funny and it's working, wow.

·
Registered
554 Posts
That is funny and it's working, wow.
At first I thought it was just the power of suggestion but now as he keeps taking it and it works, I am starting to wonder if there is something to it! BTW, he is also Type 2.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have been using 3 mg of melatonin for about a year now. It works most of the time. It relaxes you without having any side effects. The only thing I noticed is I do have some wierd dreams with it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
A good shot of sour mash whiskey has always help me. If I drank enough I'll sleep for days... lol ...jk

bugg:Dit's also good for worms

1 - 11 of 11 Posts