150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,354 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Losing 30 minutes of sleep per day MAY promote weight gain and adversely affect blood sugar control -- ScienceDaily
Doesn't work like that for me. And if I get 7 hrs of sleep a night I'm doing good. Sometimes 5-6 is more like it. AND, I've lost weight during this time, along with low, stable BG.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Doesn't work like that for me. And if I get 7 hrs of sleep a night I'm doing good. Sometimes 5-6 is more like it. AND, I've lost weight during this time, along with low, stable BG.
You've been lucky then. As my sleep disorder increased, and I spent more time in bed (but not sleeping properly) I put on weight, increased the apnea problems, BP went up, BGL went up. Hello metabolic syndrome.

The thing is, it doesn't matter if you only get 5 hours of sleep, if the sleep is of good quality and efficiency. I get 5-6 too, but its poor quality and my weight increases.

I was diagnosed with diabetes long after I was diagnosed with a sleep disorder. The diabetes and BP are now pretty well controlled... but the sleep disorder isnt, and I keep getting fatter. Well... no that isnt quite true... I just can't lose weight and I fluctuate by about 3kg in both directions depending on a variety of factors.

More power to those of you who can get a good sleep, and then not need to go back to bed again until your normal time.

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
My sympathies with the sleep disorder. I don't think I have one - my sleep is interrupted by back pain and leg cramps that wake me up from a sound sleep and bring me soundly to my feet.

How are your BG numbers these days (I assume you're eating LCHF but don't exactly remember all your posts). I had trouble losing the last 10 lbs of weight when I decided to go into ketosis and stay there, which meant I had to eat a lot more fat than I was doing and pare down the protein. This caused me to begin losing weight again. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I never dreamed I had a sleep disorder either until I had a sleep study in the hospital. Diagnosis was severe sleep apnea. Dr. prescribed a cpap machine and my husband is grateful because he no longer has to listen to my snoring (which I never knew that I did). My BG did get better after a little while on treatment for the sleep disorder.

·
Registered
521 Posts
My sympathies with the sleep disorder. I don't think I have one - my sleep is interrupted by back pain and leg cramps that wake me up from a sound sleep and bring me soundly to my feet.

How are your BG numbers these days (I assume you're eating LCHF but don't exactly remember all your posts). I had trouble losing the last 10 lbs of weight when I decided to go into ketosis and stay there, which meant I had to eat a lot more fat than I was doing and pare down the protein. This caused me to begin losing weight again. Just a thought.
Do you think it was the additional fat or the lower protein that helped you lose? I can't go lower on protein but could potentially raise my fats.

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Do you think it was the additional fat or the lower protein that helped you lose? I can't go lower on protein but could potentially raise my fats.
Both. But I was eating a lot of protein, mostly because it's a challenge to get enough fat without dairy or eggs, so I was filling up with more protein (which I LOVE). I've got that worked out now.

The irony of it all is that now, with a hiatal hernia and gastroparesis (slow stomach emptying) I'm challenged for the first time in my life to worry about losing too much weight because I can't eat too much at a time. Life! Huh!?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a health condition called interstitial cystitis and I am have been in semi remission for about 8 years or so. I do get flares but for the most part things are not too bad. When I first had interstitial cystitis, I was getting up sometimes every two hours or every hour on the hour. It was a real pain in the bee-hind. I then decided to stay up as late as I could so I would be so exhausted that I could have a deep solid sleep of 5 hours straight. I really felt refreshed when that happened. (smiling)

When I had my first hydro distention, it worked like a miracle. No pain, no huge flares and was able to sleep without waking up a lot to run to the ladies room. The downside, I have still kept up my habit of going to bed late, it's difficult to shake off. When I was working, I would try to be in bed for 11 to get up at 5 the next morning for a job that was two hours away by public transit.

It is so difficult when one has interrupted sleep. It feels as though one never slept a wink at all through the night.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Sighhh. I have back pain as well... injury 50 years ago, self managing but am getting past it. Then theres the osteoarthritis in the hips, shoulders and hands.

Glad you mentioned this. I have had a LOT of trouble cutting protein because I cant eat vast amounts of fat without feeling ill, so its eggs and cheese and I think this is whats stalling weight loss. BGLs are fine when I choose to make the effort, but being unable to do the HF part of LCHF means that the LC isnt as low as I want it to be. I've put potato and bread back into the diet as an occasional thing (Takes a month to get through a small loaf of bread so its in the freezer until wanted) and I buy potatoes in small sizes and have one maybe twice a week. I love potatoes :-/

Not looking forward to next HbA1c. The last was 5.7% and I think the next is going to be closer to 7%. My new GP will be happy with that, but I won't be.

Whats the solution to reducing protein? I havent found one :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts