The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sleep study is tomorrow night. I am hoping that the study will show that my oxygen levels are good enough to get rid of my supplemental oxygen. I hope that I do not need Bi-PAP or CPAP, I just don't want to sleep with a mask on every night, but I will if I need to. No napping tomorrow and no caffeine. I am going to ask for a copy of the findings of the study, I want to know specifics, not just "everything is normal" because I don't really know if normal exists for me!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Best Wishes on your sleep study Breeze. I had one last Summer and as a result was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea (had absolutely no idea that I had it before the study). I sleep with a Swift FX mask every night and it has made a world of difference in my daytime alertness.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have a VPAP and love it. Have been on CPAP and VPAP since 2001. Have you investigated the oral dental appliances? Some can be very helpful.

I am in the process of posting a series of blogs on sleep apnea and will be talking about using your equipment in the hospital setting in the near future.

Either way, hope the future goes your way.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a VPAP and love it. Have been on CPAP and VPAP since 2001. Have you investigated the oral dental appliances? Some can be very helpful.

I am in the process of posting a series of blogs on sleep apnea and will be talking about using your equipment in the hospital setting in the near future.

Either way, hope the future goes your way.
Thank you! What is a VPAP? I know what Bi-PAP & CPAP is but have never heard of VPAP.

·
Registered
297 Posts
There are basically four types of ?PAP machines. The two you had mentioned, VPAP (variable) and auto titrating PAP. The VPAP basically becomes a BPAP when the upper and lower limits are set, but it will vary between them. Mine is set at lower limit of 9 and upper limit of 15. Normally I vary between 10 and 14 as measured by the machine and available in a printout when downloaded.

I had an auto titrating PAP machine for my sleep study and I wish my insurance did cover that type. It was extremely quiet, had a heated humidifier and from the explanation, it adjusts slowly to the pressure that you need to give for restful sleep. Many of ?PAP machines now have a humidifier that can be heated or not.

There is a fifth type APAP, but I believe that the auto titrating has replaced it. While it is auto(A) adjusting I am not sure of how it works.

There are also many masks that work very well. Do not be afraid if you need to stay on the CPAP, to take time to look at the different masks. You may be wise to check with your insurance company to find out what their policy on equipment is and which brands they will cover. Consider a local supplier as they generally do not have a restock fee if you return masks within the (normally) 30 day trial period.

Good luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Best Wishes on your sleep study Breeze. I had one last Summer and as a result was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea (had absolutely no idea that I had it before the study). I sleep with a Swift FX mask every night and it has made a world of difference in my daytime alertness.
Breeze...I have had sleep apnea and been using cpap for over 6 years. I currently have a Resmed S8 Elite and a Swift FX mask. This is my second cpap machine, and its fantastic, (Resmed S9 is newest version, but almost the same thing). DO NOT be apprehensive about using it, because if you need it...it will IMPROVE your sleep 10000 %...no kidding !!! I love mine....would not attempt a nights sleep without it.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Breeze...I have had sleep apnea and been using cpap for over 6 years. I currently have a Resmed S8 Elite and a Swift FX mask. This is my second cpap machine, and its fantastic, (Resmed S9 is newest version, but almost the same thing). DO NOT be apprehensive about using it, because if you need it...it will IMPROVE your sleep 10000 %...no kidding !!! I love mine....would not attempt a nights sleep without it.
Thanks Orio, that makes me feel better!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks Orio, that makes me feel better!
Your first nights sleep with CPAP,(if you've been suffering with sleep apnea), you will wake up in the morning feeling like you came out of a cave and saw sunlight for the very first time !! Truly that dramatic... :D

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
He ain't kiddin', folks . . . it's a pretty incredible improvement, fer shure! :D :D :D

Mark, you're a real trip! heheh! And your new avatar is cool!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Your first nights sleep with CPAP,(if you've been suffering with sleep apnea), you will wake up in the morning feeling like you came out of a cave and saw sunlight for the very first time !! Truly that dramatic... :D
I agree. I use a CPAP. Of late on an intermittent basis, since one night I had to wake up with irritation in the back of the throat.
The sleep study did not prove Sleep apnoea for me, but I scored very high on Epworth scoring and because I had tried it out before with great results, I was told to use it all the time. DM is linked to sleep apnoea, I understand.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mark, you're a real trip! heheh! And your new avatar is cool!
Thanks...the new avatar is of a strikingly handsome young movie star that I resemble remarkably !! :cool2:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sleep Study Update

My sleep study last night was different than the one I had in 2009. My first study, I wasn't put on CPAP, last night I was, the doctor ordered it.
The doctor also wanted to see how I did with no oxygen, which concerned me, but......So I get at the sleep diagnostic center and was taken to my room. I had some paperwork to fill out (what's new) and then the tech brought in 6 masks for me to try on and they were completely different masks than what I used when I was on Bi-PAP while I was in the hospital with pneumonia, she called them "nasal masks". I chose one and we tried it on with the machine turned on a "4" whatever that means, so when the tech was going to put the mask on at one o'clock in the morning, I wouldn't have any surprise. I then changed into my pj's and then we got to the part where the electrodes were put on my head, neck, face, etc. and I cringed at the amount of goo that was being put on my scalp, she really caked it on. She strapped those belts around my chest and stomach and then she said it was time to begin. I crawled in bed and the TV was allowed to be on until 11PM, it only took me 10 minutes to get to sleep. The next thing I know the tech was waking me up, it was 5:30AM. I didn't even wake up when she put on the mask. I was on oxygen though, but she couldn't elaborate why, the techs are not allowed to give any info, I have my results appointment on October 11 and I will get the details then. I drove straight home and washed my hair, man I was pulling out hunks of white goop and got the dawn dish washing liquid out and that helped to get the white goop out of my hair. Total YUCK. Nothing like big brother being in your bedroom for one night. That camera was smacked dab on the wall facing the bed. I am glad that it is over. I am anxious to get the results back.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Sounds pretty close to what I had last month, and am I ever glad my hair was cut to about 1 inch long all over my head! It took 'til today for me to see the results of mine, so I'm not surprised you have to wait a week . . . wonder what takes them so long?! :confused:

I get to go back for another one next month, because the doc didn't order everything required to qualify my OSA for Medicare. I've spent the last two days getting that mess unraveled, but the lab that set it up is making it right. I did get my machine adjusted for the right pressure (4 is low . . . my new setting is 15).

I'm tickled pink that you slept so well! That's a triumph all by itself! :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
Glad things went well. Yes, to get accurate results, they do use what seems excessive amounts of the goop.

Just a suggestion - when you get the results, ask for a copy of the test results. If you don't ask, they will be extremely difficult to get later. This way you can keep them for your records to compare with future sleep studies.

Go prepared! Get your questions answered. This will give you a lot of knowledge and make you aware of what you need to consider when (if needed) you start looking at the equipment to have for yourself.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad things went well. Yes, to get accurate results, they do use what seems excessive amounts of the goop.

Just a suggestion - when you get the results, ask for a copy of the test results. If you don't ask, they will be extremely difficult to get later. This way you can keep them for your records to compare with future sleep studies.

Go prepared! Get your questions answered. This will give you a lot of knowledge and make you aware of what you need to consider when (if needed) you start looking at the equipment to have for yourself.

Good luck!
Thanks. I plan on asking for a copy of my results. Is it necessary to need to have a sleep study every year? My 2009 did not show apnea.

·
Registered
36 Posts
breezeonby, glad you got that part over with. My last study confirmed that the settings on my machine were still calibrated correctly...dr thought there might be a problem. I'm still at level 12, but was instructed when turning on the machine to manually set it to 4 to allow for easier time in going to sleep. One piece of advice I have is if you are given the option of a humidifier, get one. I just received mine last week to add to my machine. It really makes a difference. Good luck with it all!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
After only one night at my higher pressure, I recognize the need for the humidfier. Once I get my ducks in a row with Medicare, I'll be requesting one myself!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts