The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have mild peripheral neuropathy, and my hands fall asleep through the night when sleeping.

I am about to purchase a Tempur Pedic bed with an adjustable base (so the upper and lower portions of the mattress can be raised), and I am wondering if I should spend the extra money (quite a bit) to get the split adjustable version (so I can adjust my side of the bed independantly of my wife's side).

If there is a good chance it could help, I don't want to regret not doing it later, and I would hate to have my wife stuck in that same elevated position as me when it would not likley be comfortable for her.

I can't find much info on whether sleeping position has a significant affect on neuropathy symptoms (such as hands falling asleep). Any advice? :confused:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi Rich, and welcome.

I don't have neuropathy, but for my entire life I slept in prone position, and for many years of my life I had numb aching arms/hands which would waken me in the night & then a change of position would help.

Several years ago I had to go on CPAP, and in doing so was more or less forced to learn to sleep supine. I don't have an adjustable bed, but I use bed wedges, and only a week or two into my "back-sleeping" training, I realized I had no more aches or pains in my arms/hands, or indeed anywhere ELSE after sleeping the night through. It was quite a revelation! My arms/hands give me no more trouble at night sleeping elevated with the bed wedges.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I have mild peripheral neuropathy, and my hands fall asleep through the night when sleeping.

I am about to purchase a Tempur Pedic bed with an adjustable base (so the upper and lower portions of the mattress can be raised), and I am wondering if I should spend the extra money (quite a bit) to get the split adjustable version (so I can adjust my side of the bed independantly of my wife's side).

If there is a good chance it could help, I don't want to regret not doing it later, and I would hate to have my wife stuck in that same elevated position as me when it would not likley be comfortable for her.

I can't find much info on whether sleeping position has a significant affect on neuropathy symptoms (such as hands falling asleep). Any advice? :confused:
I don't have much experience with neuropathy getting better or worse with elevation but I would give it a try. I think that you would find more health benefits besides the neuropathy getting better to buying such a bed. For a happy marriage, get the split/adjustable version! Good Luck and welcome to the forum!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts