The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else like slim Jim's. I've been buying those as a snack as they don't have many carbs per each one unless you eat the whole box. Lol

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Not on offer over here - and in any case the highly processed nature of the product and the quality of the underlying ingredients fail totally to impress me. Have a few nuts instead!

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not on offer over here - and in any case the highly processed nature of the product and the quality of the underlying ingredients fail totally to impress me. Have a few nuts instead!
True, I've been laying off nuts lately. I was getting some bad indigestion for some reason when I started eating nuts regularly. May have been a coincidence why I was getting indigestion bad when I started eating nuts more but I've stopped eating nuts and don't have the indigestion. Maybe I'll try adding a few back and see what happens.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The ingredients put it out of my "allowed" list.

Beef
Mechanically separated chicken
Corn and wheat proteins
Lactic acid starter culture
Dextrose
Salt
Sodium nitrite
Hydrolyzed soy

While not a lot, the bold items are a recipe for spiking me and/or impacting my liver.

There are other cured meats I can do, but they usually need to be in the refer section.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I like the squatch brand better than slim jim, less carbs, I prefer good beef jerky. You have to be carefull beacasue some brands have a 5g+ of sugar per serving some 1g or less. When I can I get it from friends or the farmers market where it has no sugar and is organic meat. But in a pinch when I cant eat and need to bring a snack peporoni or sqautch beef stick is good for me.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the squatch brand better than slim jim, less carbs, I prefer good beef jerky. You have to be carefull beacasue some brands have a 5g+ of sugar per serving some 1g or less. When I can I get it from friends or the farmers market where it has no sugar and is organic meat. But in a pinch when I cant eat and need to bring a snack peporoni or sqautch beef stick is good for me.
Yes the squatch are good too. I like the beef jerkey but like you said some have not a than others. There's a local guy that sells some at a flea market each summer that is good. I'm going to check with him this year and see if he will tell me what he uses to determine if the marinade is ok.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
All the jerky here in Sweden is high carb and high protein which is why I now only eat real spanish fuet. It's a pork product that has a much higher fat content and if you can find the right brand, will be extremely low carb. Mine has the following ingredients:

Ingredients
Lean pork * (70%), pork fat * (30%), pepper *, * peppercorns, sea salt. (*) = Ingredients from organic farming.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
The good thing about Slim Jims is they have excellent fat content. Most of the flat and very dry types of "jerky", even if they don't have added sugar (which most do), are just about 100% protein and nothing else. Slower than sugar for sure, but all that protein unaccompanied can produce an awful lot of glucose.

So, the "sticks" like Slim Jims have a better balance, but those other ingredients are indeed off-putting. I used to get another brand, I think it was Jack's. Most of their products are the pure protein (flat) kind, but they had a good-fat stick product similar in appearance to Slim Jims but without the "mechanically separated chicken" and most of those other creepy ingredients as I recall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts