The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In December I drove across the US –and set out armed with a box plus cooler of travelling food (Optimist Crackers, cheeses, dips, cream cheese muffins, salad makings – this was to be thrifty carb-friendly eats) and stuck like glue to my routine until … er … New Orleans.

We were busy being tourists when a rain storm descended, and we took refuge in Café Du Monde. Uh oh. They serve coffee and beignets. They’re famous for them. Everyone told me to have a beignet (fried bread/donut w/ confectioner’s sugar) in N.O. but I was determined to ignore such blasphemy.

My friend wanted one and ordered. Our coffee came – plus a plate of 3 large, luscious-looking beignets. I did what I often do, took a knife and cut off less than a bite, a bare taste. Ahhhh. Gimme that beignet – now! I savored. I ate the whole thing plus 1/4 of a second. It was wonderful. In a nod to diabetes, I shook off some of the confectioner’s sugar.

I’ve no idea what my bs was that afternoon, but by evening it was fine, fasting the next morning was high normal. Fantastic! Worth it!

The trouble is, that beignet set me up for more exceptions – bigger bites of carbs off my friend’s plate, a pinch of bread here and there – things I rarely do. Still, I was pretty much getting away with it because the rest of my diet was solid.

It was during a drive along the Florida Panhandle that I lost my diabetic mind. We stopped for a champagne brunch at a fabulous restaurant on a gorgeous white-sand beach. We were in a large sunroom, huge windows wide open to the Gulf, and I went for the champagne, first since diabetes. I ordered well – a seafood omelet which was the best I’ve ever had – with almost more seafood (crab, shrimp, crawfish) than eggs. Divine. Trouble came in the form of a basket filled with fresh-baked sweet breads: double-chocolate muffin, poppyseed muffin, banana nut bread, pastries, OMG! My willpower was lacking the power of will (champagne flowed) and I weakly took a sliver of each one, then another sliver of my favorites, finally the moist double-chocolate did me in (it was –not- made from black beans). That evening my bg was 148, something I’ve not seen in a long time, who knows what it was during the day. I’d be surprised if I didn’t top 200. Bad. Very bad.

The next day I had a fresh hushpuppy they forgot to leave off my plate – more trouble. My friend had even said, “put the hushpuppy on my plate,” and I blurted ‘no!’ with the determined resistance of a 2-yr old. Thankfully I stopped the slide there – the hushpuppy incident scared me straight.

The next couple of days until landing in NC went well – I was back on program – and so relieved to arrive at a house with my own kitchen and stash of recipes and ingredients, that I sailed through Christmas without any exceptions. I’m back to <100 fastings.

I don’t regret the lapses (esp the beignet!) because I enjoyed them, I survived, and I learned some things: I’m not immune to temptation, I still love carbs but can survive without them, and I can never get too comfy because major lapses are possible no matter how big a purist I delude myself that I can be.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Moon, are you a writer or something? Your blog was so well written it left me wanting more...I love to read and your writing style keeps me captivated. Very well written.

Now to the topic of the writing; we all had our "moments" during the past holiday. However, you managed to keep yourself on track after your little "visit to sin city" with the mouth-watering temptations that were put in your way. I'm proud to say that I know you through this forum because even though you "slid" you got right back up and kept on truckin'. I myself gave into temptation over the past few days, and well, I can honestly say today I am feeling the effects from it (brain foggy, tummy aches, frequent bathroom visits :(). I ask myself now "was it worth it?" At the time, I guess the answer was yes or I would not have done it. Hind sight, absolutely not! I hate feeling like this and now I have to get through the work day feeling like I have the flu. Yuck.

Great job getting back on track, and it sounds like you are having a fabulous time!

Reactions: moon

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aw, thanks Renee. I appreciate the kind words.

'Worth it' can mean a lot of things, and if it embeds in our memory, then the lesson makes it worth it. You'll remember not feeling well and next time might avoid regretful wavering - or maybe it'll mean smaller detours, stopping short of feeling sick. Who knows.

I do know that although my diabetes was fairly progressed by the time I learned of it, the fact I was so very sick and in ER at dx with it made it a no-brainer to do everything possible to keep from being/getting that sick again. Feeling miserable was a gift, and maybe your little misery now will serve a similar function.

Fortunately I didn't feel physically bad from my lapses, but did get in touch with how easily one lapse can bleed into another and another ... and =that= scared me.

We have in common that we're both glad to be out of that danged carb forest though!

Reactions: MCS

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
In some ways, I'm glad we haven't had much opportunity to travel since my dx. I can't feel I've really experienced a place until I've sampled it with all of my senses.

But even sticking close to home for the holidays, I managed to slip up a bit -- OK, more than a bit. Now I'm running through test strips and insulin as a reward. But LCHF sure does feel good! That's the real reward.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I love it, Moon, guess none of us are perfect 'ey? In the short time (5 days) we were away from home I have gained 3 of my hard fought 15 lbs back - 20% gahhh. Ah well, back on the treadmill (or rather elliptical) tonight and oh, the relief at being back in my own domain. Can't tell you.
Have a very Happy New Year x

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Wife and I do take a trip now and then into the NC mountains. We spend the whole day hiking up and down, up and down, so by dinner time it usually doesn't matter what I eat, my body just wants some food. I have found out, if all I do is ride and eat, I really got to watch what goes in my mouth, hard to do when on the road though.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point, MCS. Guess I got away with the beignet because apart from the short stint in Cafe du Monde, we were on our feet walking all day.

Dang, I hate more arguments for exercise, but do love hiking in the NC mtns. I was raised in a European hiking family, and my parents idea of a vacation in the 50's was hiking all over the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains. In those days, you could go all day and pass only a couple of other hikers. It was rare enough that it was considered almost rude to say only 'hi' when you passed - one stopped and chatted a bit.

Now I need only line up someone to be frying beignets at the bottom of the mountain and I'm good to go.

Reactions: Shanny

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
We do most of our hikes around the Pisgah mnts, lots of small towns with really good local rest. I went back 6 mnths after my quadruple by-pass and spent the day hiking around, wife was going nuts, but I wanted to try out the new ticker. It worked fine but I sure didn't like the altitude, it was a weird chest caving feeling.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
We just got back today from a trip to see my sister and parents in Maine. Boy, do I know what you are mean. It took us 2 days each way to make the trip which meant stops at hotels and restaurants and fast food on the turnpike. I had my low carb stash in the car too. I even thought I was doing good at some restaurants until I saw my bg the next morning. Those sneaky little sauces and sugar in dressings really fool you. Then of course with my relatives making all the meals and just having to try everything- it is a slippery slope. I am now home and back in control of my kitchen. Hopefully bgs will go back to normal.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I guess what all our stories add up to is that we are all human, and as such still have that little bit of need to be "bad". I do not believe a little slip up will cause any of us to go back to the way we "used" to eat. A little forbidden fruit once in a while is okay...we are not saints by no means. However, getting back to our WOE is such a welcomed friend and that is the best part of all of it. We know now how terrible eating the other way made us feel without realizing it, so it is still a lesson learned. I'm happy to report that my system has calmed down, and I think it was just purging itself of the forbidden fruit I parlayed in over the course of the last few days. I am certainly looking forward to entering the New Year so much wiser than I was over the past year. However, I am thankful for finding all the information and people here who have helped to educate me as a diabetic, and how to truly take great care of myself. For the most part I'm really glad that I found others who have experienced the same things I had and that I was not alone or crazy :loco: I love reading that we are all the same in some ways, and so different in others. I love that I have all of you to run to when things are/aren't working well, and all the great advice that I'm given that usually makes it better for me. I also love that many of you give me things to look up or contemplate.
I hope we all enter this coming New Year with Great Health and Great Control. We may not be able to make ourselves a non-diabetic, but we can certainly live our lives enjoying life! Cheers to all of you and hoping we continue to share our knowledge and control of this thing we call the "Big D". Hugs:hug::tea:

Reactions: jwags

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I just came back from a 5 day holiday out of which on 4 days I barely moved my butt (only exercise was in forms of things like walking from the hotel room to the car :) )

I ate loads of spicy foods like chicken currrrrrrry (yum - yum), paneer tikka, kababs..........I managed to stay low carb but I lost control on portion sizes. To say that I hogged would be an understatement.

BP this morning (when i returned) was 130/90. Much higher than I want it to be...

Will be getting back on my elliptical from tonight !

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I didn't go to any exotic places, but my oldest son did invite us to have Christmas breakfast at his place. Pretty much I've avoided bread, pancakes, potatoes........well - you get the idea. We arrived at his place to sit down to homemade buttermilk pancakes with real maple syrup, fried potatoes from scratch and all my 'resolve to abstain' went flying out the window.

It has been a long time since I had pancakes or fried potatoes........and it will be a long time until I have them again. But dang! The kid made me proud :) :)

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I will have to say I used to make a side dish for eggs with diced sweet ham, peppers, onions and potatoes fried to a crispy perfection that I would have fought my mother over in the past.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
MCS, that sounds wonderful...just omit the potatoes and you can still eat that. Sub something in for the potatoes that you really like, or perhaps through it in a low carb wrap? I was actually thinking about breakfast for dinner tonight. I'm kinda craving a big ole western omelette with some low carb pannycakes...and diabetic syrup of course. Mmmmm, I think that is what I'm having tonight. Yum...can't wait now....I must find that recipe for the low carb pannycakes....excuse me while I drool and move to the Recipes blog....

Reactions: MCS

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I've heard of folks using turnips and/or jicama for hashbrowns/home fries/French fries. Haven't tried either one yet. Supposedly they're much lower in carb than the real deal.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I've heard of folks using turnips and/or jicama for hashbrowns/home fries/French fries. Haven't tried either one yet. Supposedly they're much lower in carb than the real deal.
I've used coarsely grated turnips for hashbrowns & it works well enough. I wasn't quite so taken with jicama, because cooking doesn't change the texture - it stays crisp, kinda like water chestnuts.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
We do most of our hikes around the Pisgah mnts, lots of small towns with really good local rest. I went back 6 mnths after my quadruple by-pass and spent the day hiking around, wife was going nuts, but I wanted to try out the new ticker. It worked fine but I sure didn't like the altitude, it was a weird chest caving feeling.
Altitude hit me this week & I'm glad to be back home somewhat closer to sea level now. Y'all know Denver as the mile-high city . . . and Durango is higher than that - I think about 6500 ft. I wasn't worth much all week. Slept a lot & was only beginning to adjust when it was time to head home.

But I had my food battles too - all week long. The kids do pretty well cooking from scratch & fixing decent meals, but they're still stuck in the bad fats rut, so there is just no use looking for butter, real mayo, etc., in their homes, because it won't be found. My "beignet" for the week was the bran/raisin muffins baked by dear daughter . . . she's the first to admit that she isn't a cook, much less a baker, but she hit the spot with those muffins & I couldn't leave them alone. She also baked a coupla eggnog pies which I'm pretty sure I can low-carb very easily, if I can just get my hands on her recipe. ;)

Very happy to be back home & noshing on my cream cheese-stuffed celery again! :D

·
Registered
556 Posts
@ everyone who went on Christmas vacation...
I'm so glad you're back! This place hasn't been the same without you.

@ moon...
I totally agree with naynay. If you aren't a writer, you should be. Your secret chocolate cake post had me rolling on the floor!

@ everyone...
If you haven't read moon's secret chocolate cake post (especially the last paragraph) you should. Here is the link:
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/6068-secret-chocolate-cake.html

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
sorry to hear you fell off the wagon.

welcome back though!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts