The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Well I went to the doctor today for a checkup and he told me about a new type of insulin that's coming out sometime in the next few years - Smart Insulin.

Basically (if you've already heard/read about this, I apologise), the insulin molecule is paired with another type of molecule. My doctor described it as the glucose will float around and knock off the insulin off the paired molecule, and then the insulin will start working its magic.

Once the BGL has reduced to a normal rate, the glucose will stop knocking off insulin from the paired molecule, and just wait until the next BGL spike to reactivate again.

This is good news! It's basically like an injectable pancreas.

Here's a link to a site which explains it better than I can - Technology Review: Smart Insulin

stripes

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I like it, lets see how long it takes to go through FDA

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. If it is still in the testing stages, it could take as long as 10 years to get FDA approval. And what will the cost be? :confused:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Great! That sounds like an excellent idea! :D I hope it comes through the FDA processing fast. :D

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Great concept but wonder what it will take to make it WORK? :)

Having worked in bio and pharm research ... could be a lengthy task ... or, could be in the bottles and ready to roll out. You never know.

·
Registered
213 Posts
SmartInsulin

Does everyone know about this? It's a self-regulating insulin that reduces the need to inject to once per day. Big story in my morning newspaper because the developer is a local man. He just sold his technology company to Merck for $500,000,000.

SmartCells, Inc.

My paper says the product has been approved for testing on humans in Europe.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hello everyone,

Well I went to the doctor today for a checkup and he told me about a new type of insulin that's coming out sometime in the next few years - Smart Insulin.

Basically (if you've already heard/read about this, I apologise), the insulin molecule is paired with another type of molecule. My doctor described it as the glucose will float around and knock off the insulin off the paired molecule, and then the insulin will start working its magic.

Once the BGL has reduced to a normal rate, the glucose will stop knocking off insulin from the paired molecule, and just wait until the next BGL spike to reactivate again.

This is good news! It's basically like an injectable pancreas.

Here's a link to a site which explains it better than I can - Technology Review: Smart Insulin

stripes
Wow!..I hope they do it fast, I am already on rapidactions thrice a day....:rolleyes:

O

·
0 Posts
wow... that looks really good. Cross fingers that the trial outcome is good and it becomes a better way of treating diabetes in the future for us all. :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
wow! thats gud news though it may take quite sometime for it to come into the maket, may be it ;might also cost a bomb!..lets keep fingers crossed!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts