The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
That depends on the smell, like sickening sweet and how high your BG level is. You need to get some Ketone strips from wally world or an Rx and test for Ketones. If you have high BG and high Ketones you then need to seek medical advice sooner rather than later.

If you do not have ketones you may just be suffering from and adrenalin surge causing the body odor.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When you say high, how high do you mean? If bgs are in the 400-500+ range the smell could be an indication of a very serious disease called DKA. So call your doctor to discuss this with him. Are you on insulin?

·
Registered
633 Posts
jwags said:
When you say high, how high do you mean? If bgs are in the 400-500+ range the smell could be an indication of a very serious disease called DKA. So call your doctor to discuss this with him. Are you on insulin?
DKA is not a disease. It is a condition that results from high blood glucose levels and no insulin on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Super Moderator
9,786 Posts
When you bloods high I have odor.. b.o everything is this common?
You are not by chance taking a garlic supplement are you? My "odorless" GNC super garlic gives me an odor. (my opinion)

Not to hijack, but is there a best time to ketone test in case my wife's opinion may be the cause.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Ketones by themselves are not all that uncommon. The ones you need to worry about are the ones you get from high blood glucose of 250 or higher an no insulin.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My bloods never get that high the highest I have seen them in a couple years would be max of 300. Usually I stay between 70 and 150
83 is considered normal for people who are non-diabetic. 150 is elevated but personally I wouldn't consider it to be really high.

DKA is not a disease. It is a condition that results from high blood glucose levels and no insulin on board.

Ketones are produced when breaking down fat for use as energy and there are always some ketones floating around. Insulin prevents the production of ketones. High BG has nothing to do with ketones other than it usually goes hand in hand with either no insulin or not enough insulin. Your body can produce ketones with low BG too since the brain can use ketones for energy in addition to glucose and with low blood glucose levels can mean low insulin levels and there is a possibility of your body going into starvation mode.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Tater is speaking specifically of DKA, which is specifically not a disease. It is a condition of too high ketones plus too high blood sugar.

That's all he said.

·
Registered
556 Posts
When you bloods high I have odor
Since that is the case, of course you should investigate the diabetes-related possibilities first. But also be aware that body odors commonly are caused by a bacteria that multiplies when it comes into contact with sweat. The areas of the body that are the most affected are one or more of these... the hair, groin, feet, armpits, ears, navel or privates.

Your doctor is the best person to tell you what is causing it. If it ends up that bacteria is the problem, your doctor can prescribe a cream that should clear it up. In the meantime, depending on which area is affected, you can apply Gold Bond medicated powder after every shower. It won't cure anything, but should help a lot with the odor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tater is speaking specifically of DKA, which is specifically not a disease. It is a condition of too high ketones plus too high blood sugar.

That's all he said.
I understand that, I wasn't commenting on the disease part, only the high BG part. You can have ketones with high or low BG. High BG usually goes hand in hand with ketones but is not a cause.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts