The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my fourth day of not smoking, and that is after 50 years of 2 packs a day.

What do we know about smoking and blood sugar?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
This is my fourth day of not smoking, and that is after 50 years of 2 packs a day.

Sharon, congrats on making the effort. I really don't know much about smoking and blood sugar, but I know that smoking is not good to our bodies. Good luck on your journey!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

Congrats! I quit smoking in November after a 30 year habit! Its rough...I know...and so does everyone that had to put up with my crabby attitude for a couple of months. You can do it! I know one of the problems with smoking and diabetes is that it increases your risk of heart disease even more than just having diabetes alone does. I used to not even really think of that...but now that I have a 46 year old heart I do consider it greatly :)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

several studies have proven that nicotine indeed raises blood glucose. One study concluded that it raised BG levels MORE in diabetics than normal individuals.

I absolutely applaud your efforts to quit, you can do it! :cheer2:

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Wow - that's great. Is this the first time you've quit? If not - this is the one that's gonna stick!

Quitting after that long is really admirable. I don't recall what they say - the physical addition/withdrawal only takes a few days to get over, so you've gotten through the toughest part, even if maybe it doesn't feel that way!

Good going.

G

·
Congrats Sharon :D it can only be a good thing.
We get lots of advertising over here about how bad smoking is for your health. I think that smoking damages your circulation just like diabetes can. A close friend of mine knows about this as her dad lost both his legs due to smoking for many years. He's not even diabetic.
Wishing you the best... and you can certainly stay smoke free!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Day seven of not smoking. Cravings are less frequent and intense; breathing really has improved.

Glucose levels have been dropping, so that's definitely something to watch.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Congratulations! I never started smoking so I have no idea how strong the hold is but I have watched several family members quit. This is indeed great news. I wish you the best. You can do this!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
85 this morning.

Saving money, yes, but it looks like I'll be eating it up instead of smoking it.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
85 this morning.

Saving money, yes, but it looks like I'll be eating it up instead of smoking it.
Unfortunately true....I gained 15 pounds after I quit smoking! Just now losing it again.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did a little statistical analysis. My average fasting blood glucose during the 10 days before I quit smoking was 113.6 Average fasting blood glucose for the 10 days since I quit smoking was 89.8.

The difference of 23.8 seems to me highly significant.

Breaking it down a little further, none of my scores since quitting smoking were above 96. They ranged from 83 to 96. Before quitting, none of them were below 101. They ranged from 101 to 149.

What doesn't show here is the really outrageous way I have been eating, way off my diet or anyone's diet. Gained 4.5 lbs. in just 12 days, so that gives an idea..........:eek:

·
Registered
930 Posts
well let's see:
if heavy smoking takes 15 years off one's life,
and if T2 takes 15 years off ones life,
and the average life expectancy is 76 years,

i am 69 years old,

76 - 30 = 46

69 - 46 = 23

so i should have died 23 years ago

so much for statistics, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics

ColaJim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good job and congrats. I quit one year ago. I still have the desire, but when I smell it on others I do not care to light up. It will definitely keep your glucose response to treatment better; however, watch out for stress and find an alternative to help. Pacing, squeezing a rubber ball or rubbing beads can help.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts