The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On 25 Dec 2011.. Christmas Day will be my 1 full Month SMOKING FREE!!!! 4 more SLEEPS to go!! YEAH!

And guess what?? One of my Friend who didnt know i quit smoking and she brought me 2 cartons of Ciggs from the Airport duty free..... And it is in my house now.. I did NOT OPEN IT! YET!! LOL

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
From people whom i know that have tried quitting this is very hard. Even harder than evening controlling BGs.

You've done great !!! Congrats..

PS: throw those cartons out. Had it been food i would have suggested you give it to someone in need. But this is Poison

Reactions: foxl and Shanny

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just sell them and buy yourself something with the money you get it's a win win you get something you want and someone gets some cheap cigs
Happy Christmas & a Happy New Year

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Congratulations on being one month FREE :) of smoking. You can do it.....get rid of the ciggies and do yourself a favor.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I quit smoking about 13 times, but the last time was about 38 years ago. Learned something doing it too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
JT I hit two years smoke free on 12/24. Some days I dont even think about smoking anymore. You can certainly do it. I used honor as a constant kick in the butt every time it got tough. First I would say to myself that I made this decision and commitment and if I smoke what kind of person am I if I can't keep my word even to myself. Secondly as yourself is always the easiest person to rationalize or lie to, I made my quitting a gift to my wife as well on Christmas eve 2009. What kind of bad guy would I be if i took back my gift or didn't keep my word to her. If I couldnt keep my word to her what does that portent about all of the promises I made to her.

And if you don't like your spouse too much, you can always promise your kids;)

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Yeah! Congrats! I agree with selling the smokes ASAP (this means NOW!) and getting yourself a non-carb congratulatory treat!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Today is my 9th month both living and having quit smoking. Survived my end of March heart attack and quit that same day. Congrats J.T.!!! I know you could do it!

When I was trying to cope with quitting... I would frequent a page that gave a time line for the benefits of quitting. It gave me something to look forward to as the days passed.

The below link is a good 'un:

Stop Smoking Benefits Timetable

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
When I was trying to cope with quitting... I would frequent a page that gave a time line for the benefits of quitting.
Heh - better to do it oneself than to have it thrust upon us. Many years ago when I was trying to convince a dear friend to quit, I came across a wonderful chart, similar to yours but more graphic, and I had it blown up to 8x10 and laminated it. Figured my friend couldn't toss something laminated as easily.

I'm lucky to be alive :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
quit smoking

On 25 Dec 2011.. Christmas Day will be my 1 full Month SMOKING FREE!!!! 4 more SLEEPS to go!! YEAH!

And guess what?? One of my Friend who didnt know i quit smoking and she brought me 2 cartons of Ciggs from the Airport duty free..... And it is in my house now.. I did NOT OPEN IT! YET!! LOL
11 years it will get better with time:):)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Probably 25+ years for me. I was keeping track of it by days. I got up to about 37 days and then went to a Christmas Party that seemed to be all smokers. What goes better with alcohol than a cig????

I bummed one from someone, took a couple of puffs and found it disgusting and put it out. I think what disgusted me the most was that I had to start counting over again at "1" starting the next evening. Never had another.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Heh - better to do it oneself than to have it thrust upon us. Many years ago when I was trying to convince a dear friend to quit, I came across a wonderful chart, similar to yours but more graphic, and I had it blown up to 8x10 and laminated it. Figured my friend couldn't toss something laminated as easily.

I'm lucky to be alive :)
Laminating it just makes it more fun to burn! :D

I agree though and think all of us that once smoked are lucky to be alive. Quitting is something I should have done years ago but my will power was so low during those years. It's amazing how the addiction helps you come up with the most amazing of excuses for why you shouldn't quit right now... cold turkey! I still need to admonish myself at times for even beginning.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you Everyone so much for the kinds words and comments.

Today its 25 Dec Christmas Day and I am 30th day smoke free!! And Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Come to think back it is amazing how i quit this smoking habit.. The first week quitting I was like a drug addict going thru cold turkey.... Its like those drug addicts you seen on TV... It was terrible the first week... I tot I will give up and started back smoking again... but NO!!..... With the support of you guys and family.. I was able to go through with it..

Now I am Proud to say I have dump the old ciggs, lighters, ashtray
into the bin which I will not do that before..

Come to think of it, I am saving myself $500 to $600 AUD per month in ciggs and easy $6000 a year!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts