The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I did see the post with the listing of 15 carb snacks.)

Is it ok to just eat fruit as a snack, or should every meal and snack always have protein with it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
(I did see the post with the listing of 15 carb snacks.)

Is it ok to just eat fruit as a snack, or should every meal and snack always have protein with it?

Thanks!
If you can eat fruit without spiking, I'd say more power to you. Most of us get high spikes from eating fruit. Which fruits can you eat?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know yet. I just started testing the blood glucose today and trying to get a plan into action. The numbers are not what they should be. I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes last year, but a few months ago had a high blood test from the doctor and am having many health problems. It is possible I have cushings. I am going to an endocrinologist in a few weeks.

The list I am referring to is this one. It has a lot of fruit on it.

http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-diet-nutrition/977-list-15g-carbs-snacks.html

Thanks again!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
That list is simply of 15g snacks - not necessarily diabetic-friendly. Fruit is not usually diabetic-friendly, so until you get a feel for the foods you can tolerate - the foods that don't spike you over 140 (7.7) - then take care to limit or avoid things like fruit, cereal grains, refined products & all the white foods like pasta/potatoes/rice/bread/etc.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Fruit is a source of fructose. Fructose is really nasty stuff. In the amounts found in a reasonable amount of fruit probably not so much and it may even be good for you. It mostly becomes saturated fat once digested.

BUT, thanks to tons of sucrose (50% fructose) and HFCS (55% fructose) in our "standard diet", most of us were getting WAY too much of it for our entire lives.

In such quantities is is definitely harmful and contributes to fatty liver, obesity and most of all diabetes. As such it is probably a good idea as we are cleansing our system and regaining control of our BG to reduce it to very low amounts, at least less than 15g total for a day as recommended by some doctors (not "mainstream" ones, of course).

If you search around, you can find references listing the fructose content of various foods. I used to LOVE California Medjool dates but can't even touch them now - a single date contains 15g of fructose.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Every diabetic is going to be different. In the beginning you are going to have to test your bg after you introduce every new food. As diabetics we are asked to always keep aftermeal bgs 120-140 or lower. If you can do that eating fruit then that may be a good snack for you. Also be aware that fructose causes triglycerides to be higher, so if that is an issue for you , you may need to make other choices. The only fruit I eat is berries about once a week and only about 1/4 cup or so. Quite frankly I think the best snacks are mini meals. I try to keep most of my snacks around 5-7 carbs , no higher.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Just after I got my first meter years ago, I remember reading that since fruits have fructose and it's natural, it doesn't need insulin and it's ok for a diabetic. I didn't believe that, but thought I'd try it. It just took one mango and one test to throw that one out the window.

That's a nice thing about a meter. When it is all theory and no proof, anyone can say anything they want.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I really like rhubarb...its very low carb but its also very sour....I guess that's why it's ok...not sure but it doesn't spike me at all...I also use rhubarb as a chutney to eat with meat....it's yummy

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I also use rhubarb as a chutney to eat with meat....it's yummy
Now that is one excellent idea. The only time I've eaten rhubarb was my mom's strawberry rhubarb jam. Do you sweeten the chutney w/ splenda or ... ?

·
Registered
460 Posts
As above, you need to test to see how fruit affects you but why not try it combined with fat and protein: if an whole apple spikes your BG, try half an apple in slices with some real peanut butter (just crushed peanuts) or full-fat cheese. How about a bowl of heavy cream with a few wild berries -- maybe shave some dark chocolate over the top? No need to deprive yourself :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Now that is one excellent idea. The only time I've eaten rhubarb was my mom's strawberry rhubarb jam. Do you sweeten the chutney w/ splenda or ... ?
lol Im strange I like sour...so I squeeze lemon and a dash of water and about a teaspoon of sugar substitute and zap it in the microwave for 10 minutes....eat it with whipped cream or with roast chicken...I like both

Reactions: moon

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, everyone. I decided to not eat fruit for the moment. Having too much trouble getting this all under control. (i'll be posting a separate thread about that.) I did have about 10 raspberries yesterday, though. Didn't really do anything. They were pretty tart.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.