The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a problem when they snack on something very low carb? It seems if I eat a string cheese or beef jerky or any type of meat for that matter my blood sugar takes a dive. I have to snack on something with at least 15g of carbs if not I'm in trouble.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Doesn't happen to me. Favorite snacks: 1/2 oz. baking chocolate, single serviing of almonds/macadamia/walnuts/pecans, pork rinds.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I can see that happening... whenever you eat anything your body releases insulin, whether it's carbs or not, and if there aren't any carbs for it to work against, that can probably lower it too much (especially if you are on any medication).

I do get into the 70s when I go extremely low carb, so I still have a couple servings of carbs a day. I just make sure it's no more than 15g at a time and pair it with protein so I don't get a spike. But I'm nursing a baby, and that has an effect on my blood sugar.

That's the thing with this disease... it's different for everyone.

Reactions: Mrs.Rucker

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think we all are different. Are you on any medication? I eat very low carb and rarely go below 90-100. So most of my snacks are protein and fat. If I eat more than 10-15 carbs especially in the morning I will spike very high. But there are some medications like sulfyureas that will send you low if you don't eat carbs. If that is the case you may want to talk to your doctor about changing meds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts