The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my mom has had problems for over a year now.

A few months ago they diagnosed a tumor, and after TWO biopsies (one earlier, one about a month ago) told her that it WASN'T cancer...

they opted NOT to treat it or do any surgery because the mass is around her spine and pressing on her abdominal aorta - making surgery EXTREMELY dangerous.

starting a few weeks ago she had her blood pressure rising, and she had problems keeping food down. They had her come into emergency a few times for IV nutrients, but kept sending her home (I don't know if they thought the mass would go away, or what....)

Finally she got admitted, then sent to another hospital. Now she's in a large hospital in Calgary, and a few days ago they did yet another biopsy. Several days later, they gave us the results - and it IS cancer.

So she's had very aggressive cancerous tumors growing for months with no treatment.

I'm just furious.

Dunno what more to say... Going to visit her in a little bit again.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Were they needle biopsies or core biopsies? You wanna bet they didn't even GET tumor tissue in the first biopsies? I am SO sorry for you & your mom . . . this is outrageous. But I've seen that happen - had it happen to me once even. Inept & shoddy work . . . :mad:

·
Registered
690 Posts
So sorry Beefy! Let us know how she is doing. Your family will be in my thoughts!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thats why they are practicing physicians. They practice on people untill they get it right then they write a paper about it. I am sorry that your mom has had to go through this. I have been through stuff like that too.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Damn! Infuriating, exasperating, scary - so sorry, beefy.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Awful, awful, awful. I am so sorry to hear that Beefy. Wish you and your mum lots of strength for the battle ahead.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sometimes it's unbelievable what doctors can miss and it's right there under their nose... I'm so sorry it happened to your mom. I'm hoping that now she is in good hands and will get treatment. She's lucky to have you for support. You're both in my thoughts and prayers. The very best to both of you!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I am so sorry for your mom. I will keep her in my prayers.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I am sorry, too. All kinds of things can go wrong in a biopsy. It is scary, isn't it? We want to believe that mistakes are rare.

Has she been given a prognosis, yet?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
So very sorry for you and your Mum, Beefy. I will keep your family in my prayers and hope for the best.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I am so sorry :( That is just unacceptable...

Will be thinking of her and hope that there is a positive outcome!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
This makes me angry too, Beefy. You and your family are in my thoughts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts