The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
I am Shannon and stuck in diabetes confusion as always. I was diagnosed a type 2 at age 19 (in 1992) based only on weight. I had a bg of 680 and was given 2 shots of insulin and sent home to see my pcp in the morning. Through the years I've had trouble keeping the weight down.. I did lose about 90 pounds but still had huge amounts of trouble. A year or so later, after still majorly high sugar levels, they tested and found out that I was indeed t1. I have had trouble through the years keeping my a1c down and sometimes have the don't care attitude. I've been doing better the past 10 years after they started insulin and adjusting and giving me more information. Though they did have a sliding scale for me that wasn't working. Another move.. and another CDE.. this one finally had the idea to carb count. I'm horrible at it.. or at least that is what a friend has told me.. I must be doing something wrong, because one day I have 93 fasting and the next it's 176. It drives me bananas.. and I hate bananas, just ask my family! lol

Sooo.. I have an appt in December for a endo to see if maybe they can do something and maybe see if they'll try a pump to get things right. I am a special ed teacher with fibro and chronic back pain and hate having this knock me down for anything.

Anyhow.. that is me.. hopefully someone can give me a bit of insight in to what I've done wrong.. or if maybe it's my body revolting on me?
btw.. ratio is 6:1 for humalog but up to 95 units of Lantus a night.. and I know that is high..

Shannon

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
We have some type 1's here who are on the pump and seem to think it is great. I'm a type 2 and don't know anything about insulin, so I can't help you out, but someone will be along who can. But one thing I can do is welcome you aboard. Glad you found us.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hi all!
I am Shannon and stuck in diabetes confusion as always. I was diagnosed a type 2 at age 19 (in 1992) based only on weight. I had a bg of 680 and was given 2 shots of insulin and sent home to see my pcp in the morning. Through the years I've had trouble keeping the weight down.. I did lose about 90 pounds but still had huge amounts of trouble. A year or so later, after still majorly high sugar levels, they tested and found out that I was indeed t1. I have had trouble through the years keeping my a1c down and sometimes have the don't care attitude. I've been doing better the past 10 years after they started insulin and adjusting and giving me more information. Though they did have a sliding scale for me that wasn't working. Another move.. and another CDE.. this one finally had the idea to carb count. I'm horrible at it.. or at least that is what a friend has told me.. I must be doing something wrong, because one day I have 93 fasting and the next it's 176. It drives me bananas.. and I hate bananas, just ask my family! lol

Sooo.. I have an appt in December for a endo to see if maybe they can do something and maybe see if they'll try a pump to get things right. I am a special ed teacher with fibro and chronic back pain and hate having this knock me down for anything.

Anyhow.. that is me.. hopefully someone can give me a bit of insight in to what I've done wrong.. or if maybe it's my body revolting on me?
btw.. ratio is 6:1 for humalog but up to 95 units of Lantus a night.. and I know that is high..

Shannon
Hello Shannon and welcome to the forum. Sorry, I too am type 2, and for the time being at least have managed to get out from under medication of any type. However, two ideas do come to me.

Do have a look at the forum's favourite (with good reason) web site. Blood Sugar 101 Jenny Ruhl, the author is diabetic and she knows the issues we all go through.

That one is "free".

The other idea is that you get hold of a copy or Dr. Richard Bernstein's book, "Diabetes Solution" where he really covers the ground on insulin management. Some of his "technology" details are a bit dated - the book was first produced in the early '90s - but I found it very enlightening even although much of it wasn't needed given my current state.

Jenny's site also makes a couple of other suggestions on reading matter but I haven't explored them personally.

John

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi and welcome

Are you T1 or T2?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome, Shannon. You being a type 1, I think Dr. Bernstein's book would be ideal guidance for you. He takes quite an extreme view of things - he hasn't eaten fruit in 40 years - but to get you off & running, I think you'd be wise to learn some of his teaching. Much of it is available online for free . . . Read It Online!

He nearly died from diabetes, and is still somewhat crippled by the complications he had before he realized how to control it. It's a very good read.

Take care, visit us often, and thank you for joining us!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi All.. Thanks for the advice.. I'll check out the site and check into the book. Anything at this point to help.

I have finally been diagnosed as type 1. When they first diagnosed me, they simply went to type 2 because of my weight and nothing else. Meds didn't work for me at all other than to make me sick enough not to want to eat. I lost tons of weight over the years and that hasn't ever helped.

Insulin helps and it's strange.. 2 years ago I was having normal sugars and even lows until I was in the hospital for pneumonia and then had my tonsils out a few months later (well almost a year later). Then had pnemonia again last year about this time. Ever since all of this, I started having trouble with my bg levels again. It's crazy.

Btw.. I am now 38.. was diagnosed when I was 19.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Based on what you have said I will make a bold move say that if I was your Dr. I would classify you as a double diabetic and have you on metformin along with your insulin. You would see better numbers, better weight loss, and eventually use less insulin. Remember that's just me and I am not a Dr..

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I would have thought 1.5 (is that Double diabetic?) as well and hopefully with the appointment with the Endo in dec. we can find more to help. I've had horrible luck with metformin as it makes me so very sick. I think my new pcp said maybe aphedira? (can't spell it today)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I would have thought 1.5 (is that Double diabetic?) as well and hopefully with the appointment with the Endo in dec. we can find more to help. I've had horrible luck with metformin as it makes me so very sick. I think my new pcp said maybe aphedira? (can't spell it today)
Double diabetes is when you are insulin-deficient as in type 1, but also insulin-resistant, as in type 2.

type 1.5 is LADA

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah ok that makes sense.. Thanks Shanny. Is there something different to help with the metformin sickness. It would help some when I was on it years ago, but it also made me super sick for so very long. They ended up giving me 2 different types of meds to help with the nausea and diarrhea that went along with it.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Do you know if you were on basic metformin or the extended release version? Many people report fewer side effects with the XR version, which I believe is called Glumetza.

I think Strawberry was prescribed meclizine for the side effects of met, but not sure I remember right. Maybe she'll stop by & let us know how that went down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it was just the regular metformin, as far as I know it wasn't the extended release.. It was quite a few years ago too. I think back in 02?

·
Registered
633 Posts
BamagirlinUtah said:
I think it was just the regular metformin, as far as I know it wasn't the extended release.. It was quite a few years ago too. I think back in 02?
Walmart has Metformin ER for $4. So it won't cost a lot to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts